Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

A dumb question about the weather

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Stella Brando, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Stella Brando Arcane

Stella Brando
    I was born in the north island of New Zealand, which is a lot more hospitable, and less scenic, than the southern Lord of the Rings scenes you're probably used to -- remember, the north is the warm part. Summer was usually in the 20's and especially hot days were in the low 30's. But winter was pretty warm, like 15 degrees.

Since than I travelled around Asia and the Pacific, including USA and Mexico, and Australia multiple times, where some of my family lives. Because of this travel, including years in Asia, I think I can handle hot weather well.

So, my question is this: medieval fantasy is basically England, so is it meant to be cold? Should I imagine my characters being comfortable in the 10's and finding the 20's hot?

What if a character is meant to be tough? Wouldn't it ruin his image as a survivor if he's complaining that the weather is good? Do people who consider themselves tough complain in England?

In my mind, the fantasy settings I played in when I was young (like the Sword Coast from Baldur's Gate and Allansia from Fighting Fantasy) were basically like New Zealand.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • WTF am I reading x 4
    • Friendly x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • (autism) x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    climate changed a lot since medieval times. You should consider 20s hot weather. Baltic sea was frozen solid during winter, allowing horse travel

• Informative x 2
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Darth Canoli Cipher

Darth Canoli
    Body temperature didn't change though and it depends on humidity and wind.
    20°C inland somewhere far away from water and no wind is alright but besides that, it''s still too far away from body temperature and then it feels cold, depending on what you're wearing, of course.

• No No x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Turuko Learned

Turuko
    Considering that Celsius and Fahrenheit lived in the 18th century you can do whatever the fuck you want

• Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I mean, the mid 20s are pretty hot already. 25 is the upper limit of what's comfortable.

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Ok that is a question that can be easily answered:
    The weather has changed a lot in medieval times since this is a period from around 500-1500. The early middle ages are at the beginning rather cold, but the temperatures go up during the this time. The high middle ages (1050-1250) are a rather warm period where even Greenland was settled and where this Norseman settlers could even do some agriculture. In the late middle ages (around 1350-1450) the temperatures drop in europe and the little ice age began, which ended around 1800 as the weather began to warm up again.
    British never complain (whine) about the weather, with the exception of rain that they are very used to, and this is also given through the fact that the british isles are dominated by the sea climate which gives them rainy summers and mild winters. Therefore the weather discussion is just a small talk to drive a conversation forward. The british bulldog is for a reason a true trope.
    Speaking about armour and clothing wearing, while it is in 20s °C, now that is a different topic. Think always that there is no bad weather only bad clothing for the weather.

About cold:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Britain in ~1000AD would have been warm, it was in the middle of a warming period.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Turuko Learned

Turuko
    i fell into this channel rabbit hole some weeks ago only to realise that this dude it's the Rebellion (Sniper Elite, Zombie Army etc) CEO&founder :lol:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. InD_ImaginE Magister

InD_ImaginE
    How are 20s degrees Celcius hot

That's a chilly wheater.

• Agree x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • No x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Ok that was new for me, but it wouldn't play a role due to the fact that Sniper Elite and Zombie Army are games, that are quite off from my usual consume. But what i have read about Rebelion is that they have acquired in 2019 The Bitmap Brothers rights and that is something that i know about: Hooray for a Xenon III, Speedball 3 and Gods 2.
    I know this channel for a bit longer (year or so) due to the recommendations of history and sciences channels targeted at me. (Perhaps due to Tod's Workshop) Sometimes the youtube algorithms are not that bad.

About heat:

^ Top  
  11. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    i recall at least 1 battle where 1 of the sides was stalling beginning of the skirmish as long as they could, for they were in shade while enemy was fully armored in sun. Cant say where/when/who

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Harthwain Scholar

Harthwain
    He said "winter was pretty warm", not that 15 degrees Celsius is hot.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Peachcurl Educated

Peachcurl
    Maybe this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald#Battle_preparations

It's a pretty well-known one, but the wiki article doesn't really expand on the scorchin sun part...

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    Why is this in the General RPG forum?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    im potato, this is likely one of the few battles i actually know of

^ Top  
  16. Cat Dude Learned

Cat Dude
    White people are smarter and the most creative due to the needs to survive during cold climate.

^ Top  
  17. Poos Arcane

Poos
    interesting map pic i just found showing NZ if it were in the northern hemisphere...

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    England specifically is quite a bit different from "western Europe" in general. England has a reputation for being cold and rainy. Most modern fantasy tends to take a pan-Europe approach to climate, and relatively often throws in an Arabian/Africa mismash of desert dwellers and Mongols for variety if the world size is supposed to represent a large enough part of the world.

Generally video games never take temperature into account for people because it's impossible to naturally convey if some place is hot or cold. The only real exceptions are areas that, by their very nature, are clearly hot or cold like a volcano, a desert, or a frozen tundra. Even then, personal scale games only get areas assigned general "hot" or "cold" status, and that only manifests as gradual health drain with a way of preventing it. (sci-fi stuff can include heat levels for equipment, but that's because it's highly abstract and so deals with levels so beyond human perception that a thermometer is the way anyone would keep track of it).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Yes the Witcher series totally played out in medieval England/New Zealand.

^ Top  
  20. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Oh great another fucking RPG discussion placed in Medieval New Zealand. You know, BioWare's kung fu fighter was way ahead of its time.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Outward attempted a more sophisticated approach to temperature, with some success. Seen below, the player-character is warmed by the campfire, reversing the chilling effect on body temperature of the snow-bound Chersonese region.

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Stella Brando Arcane

Stella Brando
    Judging from this upside down map, you would expect New Zealand to be much warmer. I figured (from watching TV/Movies) that the north was like France, the middle was like a good day in England, the south was like Scotland, and the southern tip like Norway.

From this map you would expect the country to be like Australia, with nothing growing beyond Auckland.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    Peachcurl

i did my 2min reading. So you had beta german knights who arrived first at the scene, dug some pits and were cowardly waiting for opposing force to fall into them.

in polish version you have citation from Jan Długosz
    Chad barbarians were resting whole time in shade of a woods, doing bbq. Beta knights got impatient and little cooked inside so they tried to provoke chad barbarians into fight. Barbarians took their time singing holy

and attacked

• Salute Salute x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Lurking II had that as well, plus seasons progression :obviously:.

^ Top  
  25. *-*/\--/\~ Arbiter

*-*/\--/\~
    You mean except the medieval climatic optimum, which was actually warmer than today? :D
    [​IMG]

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)