Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Gamasutra Feature on the History of Computer RPGs

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Gamasutra decided to have a series of articles on our favorite topic, RPGs. The first is The History of Computer Role Playing Games: The Early Years and the second one is The History of Computer Role Playing Games: The Golden Years. I'm sure they'll follow up with a couple of more articles because the golden years ends in 1993.

Oh and get ready for some reading, because they are not the short one to two page articles like you'd see on IGN or its brethren.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It made me get out some of my old classics again and fire up DOSBox. It's time for some Wizardry VII !

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I've played Wizardry VII into the ground as a kid but I never tried out Wiz Gold. Is it worth tracking down for any chancges or is just a Windows friendly version?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FrancoTAU said:
I've played Wizardry VII into the ground as a kid but I never tried out Wiz Gold. Is it worth tracking down for any chancges or is just a Windows friendly version?

It's a Windows version with voiceovers and enhanced diplomacy. But I never got it to work properly on XP, and somehow I could never skip the intro sequences, which became damn annoying after some time. And at one place it always crashed, so I dunno if it's really Windows friendly. It was back then for Win95, but for me Wiz7 in DOS Box works better than Wiz Gold in Win XP.
Sadly I could never try out the enhanced diplomacy features, so I dunno if they are anything worthwile.

Section8

Cipher
Wiz Gold is a bit quirky with WinXP. I prefer DosBox and vanilla Wiz 7 myself. Best thing about Wiz Gold was that it included a full walkthrough as a context sensitive windows help file.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom