Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview "A lot of faith, and a good head for risk": How two men risked their livelihoods for a new Torment

Globbi

Augur
Am i the only one to think CMcC has some communication problem ?
Not that i didn't like his way to apologize or his full of respect but somewhat so disrespectful Bioware comment.
He said that he means no disrespect, right?
No disrespect to you Wizfall, but you are a retard.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
My only flaw is I'm a Codexer. Thankfully, nobody in 'rl' knows about it. I'd likely be fired if it was known. L0LZ

Sodafish

Arcane
"All respect to the guys at Bioware, because I mean no disrespect, but I think that people are looking for a really reactive, really involved storyline that they have some control over, rather than just an interactive movie with player-controllable combat.”

13455197105340.gif

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not that i didn't like his way to apologize or his full of respect but somewhat so disrespectful Bioware comment.
Was it really disrespectful? It sounds like an honest description of Mass Effect 2 and 3 to me. Is describing a game disrespectful now?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No offense meant but ehre's some offense?

What offense? Does Bioware pretend they're doing more than interactive movies? If so, that's pretty dishonest, wouldn't trust them. :smug:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Was it really disrespectful? It sounds like an honest description of Mass Effect 2 and 3 to me. Is describing a game disrespectful now?
I think fans don't want to hear it, but I honestly don't know if BioWare devs would consider it disrespectful at all. Their move towards interactive movies has been pretty clear, and if that's the best way to tell stories and meet their design goals as far as they're concerned, why would pointing that out be disrespectful? Their goals aren't so much about reactivity and interactivity, but there are people out there who do want that in their RPGs. Again, just facts?

Maybe that's just me doe.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
:mca: Sick burn, bro. I've been waiting for this day where devs can man up and call each other out for what they really are instead of tip-toe-fellating each other in a apologetic manner.

I'm sure the Biotards won't care, though. They'll just say something along the lines of "Colin McWho? I'm sorry, but what influential game has he worked on? Nothing I've ever heard of." and continue on as usual. Doubt there will be much of a shitstorm as much as another reason for them to all come together and circlejerk some more over how great Dragon Age and Mass Effect is.

Stabwound

Arcane
Let's be honest: it does sound a little snarky. "I think that people are looking for a really reactive, really involved storyline that they have some control over" - I mean, Bioware thinks that's what they're creating.

I condone the comments, anyway. :smug:

Rake

Arcane
I think fans don't want to hear it, but I honestly don't know if BioWare devs would consider it disrespectful at all. Their move towards interactive movies has been pretty clear, and if that's the best way to tell stories and meet their design goals as far as they're concerned, why would pointing that out be disrespectful? Their goals aren't so much about reactivity and interactivity, but there are people out there who do want that in their RPGs. Again, just facts?

Maybe that's just me doe.
It's the fans problem. Bioware devs are ok with it. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63262-torment-tides-of-numenera/page-24#entry1316847

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
People are going to be upset about a developer being honest for a change instead of their usual complaining about the industry being too soft/PC, even if said developer's opinion about a game was specifically requested. :kwanzania:

Moribund

A droglike
We risked working unpaid as much as 3, even 4 months. THREE OR FOUR MONTHS! Between a quarter and a third of a YEAR. That's almost $80000 in pay we risked not receiving!

We are serious indies working on a shoestring budget. Well yeah, we did end up getting paid after all. I mean it was only a 1-2% chance things would fail because we put 95% of that work into the kickstarter and the last one went well, but in principle, we are serious risk takers.

:hmmm:

Alex

Arcane
Let's be honest: it does sound a little snarky. "I think that people are looking for a really reactive, really involved storyline that they have some control over" - I mean, Bioware thinks that's what they're creating.

I condone the comments, anyway. :smug:

I dunno, I don't remember Bioware stressing interactivity when hyping their games. If anything, they always come across as having a "games as movies" philosophy. Maybe they when hyping how cinematic their game is, they don't point out how this comes at a cost of interactivity, but most companies don't point out the weaknesses of their products anyway.

Wizfall

Cipher
He said that he means no disrespect, right?
No disrespect to you Wizfall, but you are a retard.

The butthurt is quite fun.
So let me explain my point of view
"All respect to the guys at Bioware, because I mean no disrespect, but I think that people are looking for a really reactive, really involved storyline that they have some control over, rather than just an interactive movie with player-controllable combat.”
Change "people are looking" by "some people are looking" and "just an interactive movie" by "an interactive movie".
Well reading comments here make me think everybody gets the tone.
:bounce:
NB : last Bioware game i played was DA 1 (something like 4/5 h before uninstall).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Even if I don't like Dragon Age for its crappy trash-mob-level-scaling combat encounters and boring story, it certainly isn't an "interactive movie with player-controllable combat". It's more like a painfully mediocre attempt at trying to make a Baldur's Gate styled game in 3D.

I'm guessing that comment goes more towards Mass effect and Dragon Age 2.

Moribund

A droglike
Yeah it's getting weird to see the interactive movie meme has reached developers trying to make game pitches (remember shaker?). Hey ho are you an edgy internet troll, here's the game for you! We are totally down with your counterculture, BRO.

I was saying that what, ten years ago? And then it was definitely considered "edgy" and everyone thought I was "trolling", and most people actually got really angry. Now people pitching games have to talk like this or no one takes them seriously. I feel like they are messing with my mind.

Stabwound

Arcane
It's partially marketing for sure. They know their niche audience and know exactly what to say to rally the troops. See also Brian Fargo's shots at publishers and the industry back during the Wasteland 2 campaign. I believe some of it is legitimate (Fargo seems so anyway), but I don't believe for a second that all of these kickstarter devs just suddenly broke from their shells and decided to make games like "DA CLASSICS!" again. I mean, looking at MCA's Arcanum playthrough makes it obvious he doesn't even play those kinds of games, yet he goes on talking about how he's so glad to be working on Wasteland 2 and such. :roll:

CWagner

Augur
This needs to be a newspiece titled "BioWare admits to making interactive movies" :troll:

They make the best C movies in the industry.

Meh, as movies go the games aren't too bad (excluding ME1-3 and DA2). There is a reason I play that stuff on the easiest possible setting: If I play it I just want some light entertainment without doing much or thinking much.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"What offense? Does Bioware pretend they're doing more than interactive movies? If so, that's pretty dishonest, wouldn't trust them."

L0L But pretebnding and hyping this game as 'PST2' but than sideways claiming it isn't is honest? L0LZ

I played PST1. This is no PST2, son.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom