Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview "A lot of faith, and a good head for risk": How two men risked their livelihoods for a new Torment

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm saying "this game checks this this and this" tells me nothing.

If it does in fact check those things, then that certainly tells you something.

Are you complaining about games with systems which aren't utilized well enough by the games' content?

We don't know yet what the content of these new games is going to be, so analyzing their systems' potential for reactivity is all we have to go on.

Xavin

Novice
"Actually Lord of the Rings isn't a trilogy. It was printed in 3 volumes but made up of 6 books within it and was a single novel that was split up due to post war paper issues and price concerns. Please when you want to use a fact get it right."

Talkin' about the shitty movie trilogy not the shitty books. U FUK NUTZ

Wikipedia said:
The work was initially intended by Tolkien to be one volume of a two-volume set, with the other being The Silmarillion, but this idea was dismissed by his publisher.[4][5] It was decided for economic reasons to publish The Lord of the Rings as three volumes over the course of a year from 29 July 1954 to 20 October 1955, thus creating the now familiar Lord of the Rings trilogy.[4][6] The three volumes were entitled The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King. Structurally, the novel is divided internally into six books, two per volume, with several appendices of background material included at the end of the third volume. The Lord of the Rings has since been reprinted numerous times and translated into many languages.

R00fles!

Anyway, I am optimistic about most of these kickstarter projects, but instead of backing any, I've decided to wait until they are released, and see what other people think of the finished product, to purchase them. I doubt that multi-million dollar projects need my $15 anyway.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"R00fles!"

Keep spammin' about retarted books I'm talking about retarted movies.

Xavin

Novice
So, the retarted movies are not an adapation of the retarted books, which was originally one volume?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Jesus fuck.

Saying that PST has better player control over narrative (different from minor, flavor narrative reactivity) = everything about that game is better than everything about another game.

Granted, PST is better than DA in almost every way. PST's main weakness is combat. Well, DA has (about equally) shit combat. Romances? More subtle and intelligent.

Here's the thing: DA. Is. Shit. (DA2 moreso due to shittier encounter design.) This is why I end up saying PS:T is better than DA in many ways. Because DA is shit, not for PST's positives.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yes, PST already has alignment in the form of Lawful-Chaos/Good-Evil. Nice to know that ME has a neutered similar alignment system, and has no choice requirements outside of those paragon/renegade. Whereas in PST choices can depend on class, stats, AND/or alignment.

I'm talking about stats and skills outside of alignment systems, obviously.
I don't see how the number of sources you can draw from matters.
Are you retarded? So, you are happy when games 'streamline' and remove skills, huh?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Well, DA has (about equally) shit combat. Romances? More subtle and intelligent."

No.

Unless you think an 'adoptive uncle' having sex with his teenie half animal neice is 'subtle and intelligent'.

R00fles!

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
BrianFargocodex2_zpsa2a9de4a.jpg

CMcC, I hope the game you deliver is truly as bro as your Bioware comments are.

Also: :lol: At the pretty princess and her butt all sore an' hurty. R00fles!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow, this thread dissolved into a slug fest, fast. I get that these two men 'risked their livelihoods', but let's face it, two careers are just two careers. I need a better system of calculating suffering. What I want to know is how many bothans will die to bring us a new Torment?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Playing the pity card now, eh? "we risked so much to bring you dis gaem, please gibbe money"

Also funny to see how easy those codex strings can be pulled by uttering some bioware remark that wasn't even disrespectful

Still curious for the actual game, but I think I won't even bother to read these "Cmc says:" news anymore

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If we don't donate , they'd have to make a shittier version of the game.
And they PROMISED NOT TO TOUCH THE MONEY THAT GOES TO WL2!

:avatard:

Stabwound

Arcane
I doubt they had any expectations other than what's happening. There was just no way a Torment kickstarter by inXile was going to fail, but whether or not they can deliver is another thing altogether. And besides, it's PennyArcade and Infinitron who played it up with the sensationalist headlines.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I doubt they had any expectations other than what's happening.

Then you're wrong.

And by the way, the conventional wisdom among edgy people on the Internet was that this Kickstarter was going to be about as successful as Garriott's due to people being angry at inXile for double dipping + no MCA. Some even thought it would crash and burn.

How quickly the conventional wisdom changes to align itself with the facts. Now suddenly all the "smart" people are saying they were sure it was going to be a huge success all along. Yeah. :roll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Are you complaining about games with systems which aren't utilized well enough by the games' content?
"We put in a lot of pass/fail checks in dialogue menus" doesn't tell me how reactive the story is since one can make a very reactive game without such things (Alpha Protocol) or a very boring game with them (Storm of Zehir).

Jesus fuck.

Saying that PST has better player control over narrative (different from minor, flavor narrative reactivity) = everything about that game is better than everything about another game.
Playing Torment felt like playing a JRPG. Wasn't seeing much of that player control.

Granted, PST is better than DA in almost every way. PST's main weakness is combat. Well, DA has (about equally) shit combat.
DA has a better system and its best fights are better than Torment's best. Torment only wins points in that there's less of it overall and it gives you the option of running past almost everything.

Are you retarded? So, you are happy when games 'streamline' and remove skills, huh?
That's too broad for me to answer. Some things that exist in games are unnecessary. Like alignment. Alignment is stupid and D&D would be better off without it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
"We put in a lot of pass/fail checks in dialogue menus" doesn't tell me how reactive the story is since one can make a very reactive game without such things (Alpha Protocol) or a very boring game with them (Storm of Zehir).

And I'm telling you that how reactive "the story" is isn't all there is to reactivity. Narrative reactivity/CYOA is just a subset of reactivity.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Jesus fuck.

Playing Torment felt like playing a JRPG. Wasn't seeing much of that player control.

Granted, PST is better than DA in almost every way. PST's main weakness is combat. Well, DA has (about equally) shit combat.
DA has a better system and its best fights are better than Torment's best. Torment only wins points in that there's less of it overall and it gives you the option of running past almost everything.

That's too broad for me to answer. Some things that exist in games are unnecessary. Like alignment. Alignment is stupid and D&D would be better off without it.
:hero:

Black

Arcane
Roguey trolls another thread into oblivion while the Codex remain oblivious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom