Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Merry Christmas to Arcanum fans

DynamicRabbit

Novice
blarg. No, it's not, its in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arcanum

Don't mind me, I'm slow.

Andkat

Educated
For some reason, the patch won't install properly on my machine. Whenever I attempt to begin the installation process, I am told that the patch is only applicable to the "English Version" of the game (I made sure it was installing into the correct directory). However, my copy was purchased in the United States and has had the english version of the official patch applied. I've tried several fresh installs, with and without the official patch, without avail. Version 081229 of the patch also works without any problems, as do several even earlier versions. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this?

Andkat said:
For some reason, the patch won't install properly on my machine. Whenever I attempt to begin the installation process, I am told that the patch is only applicable to the "English Version" of the game (I made sure it was installing into the correct directory). However, my copy was purchased in the United States and has had the english version of the official patch applied. I've tried several fresh installs, with and without the official patch, without avail. Version 081229 of the patch also works without any problems, as do several even earlier versions. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this?
The '09 version performs several file checks to make sure you have a correct version of the game. This was done to prevent people with foreign versions from installing the patch and then complaining about their game being borked. As far as I'm aware, most (all?) people with legitimate US/UK versions of the game are able to pass the checks. But of course, if your files somehow get corrupted (HDD problems, a badly scratched CD, etc) it won't install.

Anyway, if you're absolutely positive that you have a proper installation of the original English version, you may try installing the patch manually.
1. Make sure you have the official 1.0.7.4 patch installed (if there's Arcanum4.dat in your Arcanum folder, then it's installed correctly).
2. The UAP installer is a self-extracting LZMA archive and can be manually extracted with 7-Zip. Download and install 7-Zip, then right-click on UAP091225.exe, choose 7-Zip, then "Extract files". Browse to your Arcanum directory, choose 'Overwrite without prompt', hit OK.
3. This step is important. If you have already run the game at least once before applying the patch, you'll need to delete some cached files. Delete the two following folders: 'data\proto' and 'modules\arcanum\maps'. Many fixes won't work and some parts of the game may be rendered unplayable if you don't do this.
4. (Optional) Delete Arcanum6.dat and modules\Arcanum.PATCH2 if you don't want the 'Extra Content' and/or delete ArcanumXLizard.dat if you don't want the 'Alternate Lizardman Model'.

Acleacius

Novice
Just saw this and installing now, thanks for all your great effort and works for the community Droog.

You know you might have to reconsider, in a couple years Wesp could break your record of longest running support of a great game with Unofficial patches. :wink:

:threecheersandatoast:

Is it just me or can anyone else hit the database at Terra-Arcanum, I can get the site and differnt selections but no database or forum, atm?

I can't seem to find my guide atm, nor another link to Arcanum-eGuide.rar.

Petrell

Educated
Acleacius said:
Is it just me or can anyone else hit the database at Terra-Arcanum, I can get the site and differnt selections but no database or forum, atm?

I can't seem to find my guide atm, nor another link to Arcanum-eGuide.rar.

Terra Arcanum was down for a while but now everything seem to be back up.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This patch has some kind of strange problem on installation (at least on wine that is):
When you choose a install dir (again, on wine, no idea about windows) it appends a additional Arcanum dir.

So if you choose
...\Arcanum
It reads on the label:
...\Arcanum\Arcanum and fails to apply if you try to directly.
Just remove the additional Arcanum.
I don't have my arcanum on the default path. (In fact i haven't even a persistent registry, and that's the way i like it)
Just a FYI.

chuft

Augur
Hmm, trying to remember why I didn't use the UP before....

I remember when the first unofficial patches came out, I never used them. I am trying to remember the reason. Either they made it impossible to use a no-CD crack, or else made it impossible to remove the level 50 cap, I think. Or both.

Does anyone know if that is true of the latest unofficial patch? I prefer avoiding wear and tear on the play disc as much as possible and also dislike the level cap. Does the unofficial patch still interfere with no-CD cracks and removing the level cap?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Re: Hmm, trying to remember why I didn't use the UP before..

chuft said:
I remember when the first unofficial patches came out, I never used them. I am trying to remember the reason. Either they made it impossible to use a no-CD crack, or else made it impossible to remove the level 50 cap, I think. Or both.

Does anyone know if that is true of the latest unofficial patch? I prefer avoiding wear and tear on the play disc as much as possible and also dislike the level cap. Does the unofficial patch still interfere with no-CD cracks and removing the level cap?
LOL Wut?
The patch removes the CD check, what do you need a crack for?
And about the level cap remover, who cares, do you need more than 50 what for?
The only result will be that you will level every 1000 XP points unless you want to grind to death.

chuft

Augur

Kz3r0 said:
chuft said:

LOL Wut?

It appears the latest one from Dec. 2009 does. I don't think the original one did. Anyway, I could not remember if it did or not. Now I know the latest ones does, that is no longer an issue. But there was a reason I never used the original unofficial patch, and it may have been that.

The only result will be that you will level every 1000 XP points unless you want to grind to death.

I have played this game many many many times since I bought it the month it came out. I like to play technologists and advance up a number of the different tech trees so I can build all kinds of fun items over the course of the game. With the level cap I have found I stop leveling up long before the end of the game, which makes playing less fun, and cuts me off from a lot of techs. Many tech items cannot be bought or found, only built, and your followers never go above tech level 4 in any discipline, so unless your character personally does it, you are cut off from those items the whole game. I don't like that. It is particularly annoying when you get a schematic which requires high level items from different disciplines - building Automatons requires Elite Plate and Mechanical Arachnids for example, if I recall correctly, and going all the way up both those trees is a real luxury if you only have 50 levels of points. Usually you have to spend them on Gunsmithy, Firearms, Perception, Dexterity, Intelligence, Herbology, Lock picking, Prowling, etc. And going up six levels of Explosives just to get a Fire Obstruction so you can build a Flamethrower is out of the question. If you could find one Fire Obstruction somewhere in the game, it would be different. But you can't. Not even one.

The level cap remover has been around for many years and is quite popular, and I see there is one now on Terra Arcanum that works with Drog's patch, so that too is no longer an issue it appears.

I happen to like to play gunslingers who build lots of cool toys. If you are the type who plays melee fighters or mages, then I agree 50 levels should be plenty. Although it still sucks to stop leveling up long before the end of a game. Leveling up is inherently fun, especially when there are as many character point choices as there are in Arcanum.

Kz3r0

Arcane

chuft said:
Kz3r0 said:
chuft said:

LOL Wut?

It appears the latest one from Dec. 2009 does. I don't think the original one did. Anyway, I could not remember if it did or not. Now I know the latest ones does, that is no longer an issue. But there was a reason I never used the original unofficial patch, and it may have been that.

I have played this game many many many times since I bought it the month it came out. I like to play technologists and advance up a number of the different tech trees so I can build all kinds of fun items over the course of the game. With the level cap I have found I stop leveling up long before the end of the game, which makes playing less fun, and cuts me off from a lot of techs. Many tech items cannot be bought or found, only built, and your followers never go above tech level 4 in any discipline, so unless your character personally does it, you are cut off from those items the whole game. I don't like that. It is particularly annoying when you get a schematic which requires high level items from different disciplines - building Automatons requires Elite Plate and Mechanical Arachnids for example, if I recall correctly, and going all the way up both those trees is a real luxury if you only have 50 levels of points. Usually you have to spend them on Gunsmithy, Firearms, Perception, Dexterity, Intelligence, Herbology, Lock picking, Prowling, etc. And going up six levels of Explosives just to get a Fire Obstruction so you can build a Flamethrower is out of the question. If you could find one Fire Obstruction somewhere in the game, it would be different. But you can't. Not even one.

The level cap remover has been around for many years and is quite popular, and I see there is one now on Terra Arcanum that works with Drog's patch, so that too is no longer an issue it appears.

I happen to like to play gunslingers who build lots of cool toys. If you are the type who plays melee fighters or mages, then I agree 50 levels should be plenty. Although it still sucks to stop leveling up long before the end of a game. Leveling up is inherently fun, especially when there are as many character point choices as there are in Arcanum.
If you plan your build or are consistent that's not an issue, prowling for a gunslinger is useless unless you want to play Hitman with a silenced gun, and even so a flame thrower seems out of place, however there was a mod that permitted you to choose the levelling of your followers, done by Drog ages ago, but it's posiibly game breacking, try to ask at Terra Arcanum, it was removed from the downloads but someone should still have it.

chuft

Augur
Well needless to say I disagree, Prowling is valuable for anyone, especially if you want to do stuff solo or want to do thief type quests or pillage chests in guarded areas. The fact it uses Perception as its key stat makes it almost a no-brainer for gunslingers, since no other skill uses Perception except firearms. And in every game I always need a lot more than 50 levels to get all the tech items I want to build.

Also I sometimes play solo, or let followers stay dead if they get killed, so I would rather remove the level cap than rely on a follower mod for getting high level tech items.

Kz3r0

Arcane
chuft said:
Well needless to say I disagree, Prowling is valuable for anyone, especially if you want to do stuff solo or want to do thief type quests or pillage chests in guarded areas. The fact it uses Perception as its key stat makes it almost a no-brainer for gunslingers, since no other skill uses Perception except firearms. And in every game I always need a lot more than 50 levels to get all the tech items I want to build.

Also I sometimes play solo, or let followers stay dead if they get killed, so I would rather remove the level cap than rely on a follower mod for getting high level tech items.
You have spot trap too that uses perception, and is valuable for hitting the target even to melee fughters, without mentioning archery.
All in all I find pointless to play jack of all trades but whatever.

chuft

Augur
I forgot about Spot Trap because it is so worthless.

It is hard to imagine comparing the advantages of being a Prowling master to being a Spot Traps master for a technologist, especially given that Flow Spectrometer is just one level above Charged Ring, which is pretty much a mandatory tech. Prowling masters can escape unfavorable combat situations, and mobs of enemies, easily. Very handy for a gunslinger who gets charged by a bunch of enemies.

In any case, like many people, I prefer to have no level cap, and to keep leveling up the whole game. Fortunately it appears this issue has been solved with a mod that works with the UAP.

Kz3r0

Arcane
chuft said:
I forgot about Spot Trap because it is so worthless.

It is hard to imagine comparing the advantages of being a Prowling master to being a Spot Traps master for a technologist, especially given that Flow Spectrometer is just one level above Charged Ring, which is pretty much a mandatory tech. Prowling masters can escape unfavorable combat situations, and mobs of enemies, easily. Very handy for a gunslinger who gets charged by a bunch of enemies.
High dexterity does the same, also with high throwing skill and molotovs you cand fend off any attack while repelling the enemies.

chuft said:
In any case, like many people, I prefer to have no level cap, and to keep leveling up the whole game. Fortunately it appears this issue has been solved with a mod that works with the UAP.
To ecah its own, but what I always loved about Arcanum were the different builds and their balancement, a pity the combat is not so satisfactory.

suwak

Novice
This patch is only for English version of the game, or it will work fine also in a Polish version?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am going to replay Arcanum, so I downloaded your patch, resolution changer and maps and just wanted to say thanks again! good job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom