Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A new RPG from CDPR?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6315296.html

CD Projekt Red promises live gameplay demo for original game at this year's E3.

CD Projekt Red has been on quite the run with its dark fantasy role-playing franchise, The Witcher. Following on from the series' well-regarded debut in 2007, the Polish development house just this month secured much critical acclaim for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, which was released for the PC in the US on May 17. (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are also planned.)

Now, CD Projekt Red plans to branch out from its current bread-and-butter. As part of its Electronic Entertainment Expo presence this year, the studio expects to unveil a "brand new project." Details on the reveal are slim, but the game is apparently already playable, as CD Projekt Red promised a live gameplay demo for gathered industry persons.

CD Projekt Red is the development studio owned by CD Projekt, which runs the Good Old Games digital distribution portal. GOG.com is best known for offering a variety of classic games unfettered by digital rights management software.

This year's E3 will take place in Los Angeles from June 7-9. For more information, check out GameSpot's previous coverage of The Witcher 2.

How about a TB cRPG? :bounce: They have the money now, so they can do anything they want.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Jaesun said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-24-new-witcher-game-to-be-announced-at-e3

"I can't say anything obviously for gazillions of reasons but it is a Witcher game, and I can say that console gamers might be interested in it," he explained.

:?

:decline: :rpgcodex:

Rhalle

Magister
How do they work so fast?

I mean, they had to code a whole new Witcher 2 inventory, UI, savegame system, screen resolution just to get it ready for consoles.

Man, those guys are good.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Rhalle said:
How do they work so fast?

I mean, they had to code a whole new Witcher 2 inventory, UI, savegame system, screen resolution just to get it ready for consoles.

Man, those guys are good.

No? Witcher 2s interface is already pretty consoly and works fine with a gamepad. Its actually a little easier than with M&KB

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Indeed, considering both Witchers were already console-y to begin with I shiver to think what a game would look like when CDP actually admits to it being console-y.

Black

Arcane
Game of Thrones RPG
or
Adventures of Odrin and his Company :thumbsup:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know, maybe by making a separate Witcher game that will be multi platform from the get-go they are actually forging a path whereby they can grab both PC and console markets without compromising too much? TW2 is sort of consolised because of ease and efficiency for future conversion for consoles and probably has been used as a basis for this new game, but if they are going to make more clearer distinctions between PC and multi-platform games, then any TW3 might be more hardcore and PC centric, particularly if this offshoot does well on consoles?

It would seem strange to have talked about TW2 as a PC only game for now and then a month later show gameplay from a multi-platform Witcher, unless there's been some sort of re-alignment internally and CDPR have decided to test the waters with a more consoletard friendly parallel series while deciding to leave PC TW alone.

deuxhero

Arcane
ESRB.org has The Witcher 2 also listed under the 360 (They have never been wrong so far, plenty of games, mostly digital rereleases, get first mentioned by them).

We're fucked.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
After looking over the news more closely I'm certain it will just be the consoletard version of TW2, no need to get worked up over nothing. With the hype still going strong, what better time to promote a console version of the game that consoletards are salivating for?

1. Announce a PC exclusive title.
2. Get the monocled PC community to feel smug and superior.
3. Secretly make a console version at the same time.
4. Release PC title and watch the envy of consoletards.
5. Suddenly pull out a Console version of TW2 from nowhere.
6. ???
7. PROFIT!

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
commie said:
After looking over the news more closely I'm certain it will just be the consoletard version of TW2, no need to get worked up over nothing. With the hype still going strong, what better time to promote a console version of the game that consoletards are salivating for?

1. Announce a PC exclusive title.
4. Release PC title and watch the envy of consoletards.
5. Suddenly pull out a Console version of TW2 from nowhere.
6. ???
7. PROFIT!

Yep, that would be my guess too. Seems potato-heads are smarter than they let on. :M

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This could be a good thing for us.

IF The Witcher 2 comes out on consoles and becomes a HUGE hit it could shift things in our direction.

Instead of bioware being pointed out to be the industry standard for action games the Witcher could be that game and make a huge shift in games and forcing them to become more about the CC and less about the gay elfs.
Of course chances are it won't happen and CDproject will get eaten and turned into another Bioware, but there is always hope.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You're assuming that's why console players would buy Witcher 2. More like: over-the-shoulder-on-rails action game, boobs, cutscenes, surly hero. Witcher isn't as far divorced from Mass Effect as some of you portray and it's the similarities that will make it sell on console not the choice and consequence.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The bad thing (for us) would be if The Witcher 2 was released on the consoles and sold there 4 times as much as it does on the PC. If that happens, I predict CDPR to soon go Bioware route.

And later get acquired by Ubisoft, which does not have an RPG division and I guess they would like to.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They won't if the 15 minute TWitcher 2 Rage Fail video repeats itself for over 10,000 console gamers.

I still cannot believe that guy didn't just edit the video out..10 minutes of failing in gaming and recording his anguish is hardcore.

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't give a shit as long as they make patches and improve the PC version.

If they don't... Warsaw isn't far.

Suchy

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
The bad thing (for us) would be if The Witcher 2 was released on the consoles and sold there 4 times as much as it does on the PC. If that happens, I predict CDPR to soon go Bioware route.

And later get acquired by Ubisoft, which does not have an RPG division and I guess they would like to.
By the time it happens, Boware will flop with DA3 and go out of business, so it's gonna be EA acquiring CDP.

torpid

Liturgist
Metro said:
You're assuming that's why console players would buy Witcher 2. More like: over-the-shoulder-on-rails action game, boobs, cutscenes, surly hero. Witcher isn't as far divorced from Mass Effect as some of you portray and it's the similarities that will make it sell on console not the choice and consequence.

Exactly. I don't get the idea that the Witcher is somehow helping to curb the decline when, on the contrary, it's very much a game of its time, and perfect proof that the decline has already taken place: regardless of whether it's good or bad, a mainstream RPG is now an action game with a more involved narrative, some C&C and a light sprinkling of stats. Anything turn-based or isometric or stat-heavy is made either by indies or for handheld consoles.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Well let's be realistic; any ARPG like this will sell shitloads on consoles, whether we like to admit this or not, invariably in greater numbers than the PC version. That isn't so much a threat if CDPR take the right lessons from it unlike Bioware, namely that they don't have to gimp a game to the point of retardation in order to pick up the console crowds. Any future Witcher need not be like DA2 which went so far with the consolisation that no-one was happy. Keeping a middle of the road approach with basic design and then tailoring the game to suit the particular needs of Consoles and PC's would allow for CDPR to service both markets and profit from both accordingly.

It would also ensure that we'd get more games from them in the future.

We're not going to get a TB Witcher crawler from CDPR anyway(unless they really want to diversify in the future), so why rage that they are trying to secure their financial future with a console version?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm far from raging.* Just being realistic.

* I have so many good games unfinished (RPGs and other) that I can keep myself entertained till the end of my life even if no single noteworthy game is ever released again.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
commie said:
FRUA20.gif

This was never, ever a secret.
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2010/1 ... es-doable/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/28/the-w ... %E2%80%9D/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... nsole-talk

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Secretly as in not being made already. They had always said that they'd like to make a console version sometime in the future, suggesting it would be a while away. Yet here it seems they've been able to divert funds to the console version all along at least at a modest level.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This was never a bad thing either.

Then the cash from the sales can be used to repeat the whole process all over again. Which is fine because the game will rule. Probably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom