Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A new tag for freshly minted Patrons

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Patrons aren't what they used to be.

Used to be you gave money because you valued the Codex, out of the goodness of your heart and without expecting anything in return. The Patron tag was just an afterthought. Then came potatoes, but all you could get with them was some ad-free time, which is worthless to any tech savy user with an adblocker.

But nowadays, let's face it, the faceless are buying into the Patron class for highly different reasons. Cosmetic reasons, entirely divorced from the noble intentions of old. Our values are eroding.

To solve this cultural crisis, I propose that we distinguish the old-guard Patrons from the freshly-minted ones, starting from the date when the Avatar Cleansing began. People have to know which users truly have the Codex at heart. And so I propose that old and new Patrons be given different tags. Which exactly is open to suggestions. I have two of my own:
  1. Name the new patrons "Nouveau Riche" or something to that effect, and reserve the "Patron" tag for the old-guard.
  2. Rename the old-guard patrons to "Patroll", to highlight their role as preservers of Codex culture, while leaving the "Patron" tag for any new patrons.
I hope you will see the wisdom in my proposal.

DarkUnderlord

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
But what about the people who donated before the avatar debacle but only put on the Patron tag after it started?

Bohr

Arcane
Used to be you gave money because you valued the Codex, out of the goodness of your heart and without expecting anything in return.
The Patron tag was just an afterthought.To solve this cultural crisis, I propose that we distinguish the old-guard Patrons from the freshly-minted ones, starting from the date when the Avatar Cleansing began.
Wouldn't a good point for the cut off be when people started buying 'buttons'? +M

Swigen

Arbiter
I thought it was pretty mean to offer a raffle for Patreon status but then make it inaccessible to people who haven’t been here for a year. Really made me sad. Started watching Danger 5 to cheer myself up.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
But nowadays, let's face it, the faceless are buying into the Patron class for highly different reasons.

That's because the benefits of being a patron have been expanded through a forced removal of faces. Let's face that.

I thought it was pretty mean to offer a raffle for Patreon status but then make it inaccessible to people who haven’t been here for a year.

How mean to offer something for free. If you cannot even spell Patron, you shouldn't get it anyway.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Wouldn't a good point for the cut off be when people started buying 'buttons'? +M
I didn't think of that. I personally have no dog in this fight, so I don't care either way. In theory it sounds good and in the spirit of the proposal, I just worry that some innocents with the purest of intentions might get lumped in with the pay2win crowd. The current proposal at least has the merit of having a clear cutoff, all subsequent contributors being guilty of the charge.

If we explore this further, since when have the buttons been on sale? And while we're at it, what about pay2GDaccess?

Maybe the real metric should be those who donated only 5$ for Patron status and privileges vs those who gave more, in addition to the Avatar Cleansing cutoff.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
all subsequent contributors being guilty of the charge.

What if there was even one person who donated out of the goodness of their heart during that time? What kind of person are you to convict innocent people?

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I think OP is onto something here. Anyone who's joined after 2002 should have a newfag patron badge. Anyone born in 90s and onwards is stuck with raging newfag, irregardless of patronage.

Separation will unite us.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
all subsequent contributors being guilty of the charge.

What if there was even one person who donated out of the goodness of their heart during that time? What kind of person are you to convict innocent people?
Since intentions cannot be shown conclusively, we have to go on external, observable evidence. A one-time contribution of only and exactly 5$ after Patron privileges were enabled can only mean the individual paid to get them.

The Red Knight

Erudite
The only honest donations were the anonymous ones. Everyone else wanted something from it, no matter how minor it was, or treated it as an investment.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Ban all non patrons

So newfags shouldn't be trusted because they donate after the avatar purge to get their avatars back.

Newfags are also not trusted for solely being newfags and don't deserve 'old guard' status.

And also ban non patrons because they're broke assholes and don't support the Codex.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Gibson

Learned
Patrons aren't what they used to be.
To solve this cultural crisis, I propose that we distinguish the old-guard Patrons from the freshly-minted ones, starting from the date when the Avatar Cleansing began.
DarkUnderlord

I somewhat agree, however the newfag Patrons should be everyone after the date of 17.April 2005 because we all know, that the tr00 Patrons, those with pure codex nobility running through their veins were registered up to (and including) 17.April 2005.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom