Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A post I made on the RPGWatch Forums that bares repeating.(Skyrim any why we get angry)

roll-a-die

Magister
Roll-A-Dice;1061118299 said:
Because I remember when Bethesda used to be good and not focused on the casual market. I remember when selling a modest amount of copies was considered a success. When games didn't have to debut at redonkulous numbers. And I just get so angry at the constant strive for more money, and the creative sapping that's come from it. Daggerfall was generic as all hell, but it still did fantasy and story better Oblivion and Skyrim.

It's just over the years, I've played so many better games, and I've watched the quality of level design, of gameplay design, of story design, of everything just slowly slip, and the more I think about it, the more I get angry. At the fuckers who want games to be considered an art form, but haven't grasped the fact that to be art, you need subtlety, skill, and message.

Even modern art, it has message, and a fair amount of subtlety and skill. You look at games in the past like Planescape Torment, or Morrowind, and the game oozed all three of those, the world was exquisitely crafted, there's message and symbolism everywhere, and subtlety in bounds. Even the architecture conveyed a message in Morrowind. As I've pointed out in this thread or another.

In a game like Skyrim, I see everyone praising, oh it's such a good game. But it lacks elements that have been at the absolute core of the series. Character customization, dress up by combining different armor pieces, the ability to be an absolute power gamer if you want an easy game, or the ability to completely gimp your character if you want to have a hard time. Difficulty was scaled in the Elder Scrolls, scaled by by player knowledge as well as by a difficulty meter. The attributes system with each stat affecting large amounts of things. Random chance. Things that were pulled from PnP games. I don't think in my 28 or so hours of play, I ever encountered a disease

The fact that they are a company that has betrayed their origins, is what makes me so angry.

Every other company left, is either new, or has been doing it so long, that we've gotten dead to it. Or has been doing it since the origin of the company.

Bethesda has been doing it since oblivion which was only what 6 years ago.

The fact that them and Bioware are the only ones left producing RPGs despite the fact that they are the most casual of RPG developers. Bioware's likely going into the shithole after TOR goes bust, and then we'll be left with Bethesda as the lone old guard of RPG development. Interplay's gone bust, several times over now. Origins been gone for who knows how long, Sir Tech, the majority of people nowadays haven't even HEARD of Sir Tech. Betheda's really the only people we got left, and that's what makes me angry. Bioware always marketed to the lowest common denominator, Bethesda, didn't used to be that way, they were one of the few heralds of, of, it's hard to describe, Politics making high fantasy. Games with heavy politically oriented storylines, but the storylines going towards making High Fantasy adventures more believable.

Now what's the plot been reduced to, BOWSER(Alduin) IS ASSAULTING THE MUSHROOM KINGDOM(Skyrim), FIGHT OFF HIS CLONES(Dragons) BEFORE BEATING HIM IN A COLOSSAL BOSS FIGHT OF EPIC PROPORTIONS AT THE EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE MARIO. Every SINGLE other BETHESDA game, EVEN OBLIVION ITSELF, had a political sideplot go into making its high fantasy gameplay a reality. This one really is Bowser assaulting the mushroom kingdom, and that's about as much as it makes me care. It's just another generic fantasy slogfest now. It almost makes me even more angry when I think about all the other plots they could have done. Did they have to set it after the novels? Why not have those just be future sci-fi, and the games exist in their own worlds.

Why not set it in Summerset, where the factions are the empire, the elf faction in this game,

You know, this is another point, the game didn't even make me care about the politics it did show, I can't even recall the name of the political faction of high elves. I don't have to google to find out the names of the morrowind factions, despite the fact that I haven't played that in 2 years,

I've just stopped playing Skyrim last week. I literally care less about this game, than I do about the Star Wars prequels because I can remember the trade federation guys are nimoidians.

Or how about the major races of Star Trek, a show I haven't even watched since college 10 years ago, Klingons, Romulans, Volcans, Borg, Q, Human, Andorian, Cardassian. I remember more about Vulcan BREEDING habits than I do about a game I played less than a week ago(Once every few years they go and psychicly attach themselves to someone generally another Vulcan, if they don't they die a horrible horrible death.)

Anyway, the elf faction in this game, it's like the, you know what I'm going to have to google this, be right back, Thalmor, utterly generic elf faction name is generic.

Anyway, the Thalmor, and the vampires, who are in a kind of cold war for supplies, it's 2 years after the last emperor and the elves are starting to question the divine right of the Nord/Imperial fuckwits. The vampires are starting to leverage their eternal control over the night. Anyway, you are sent there by the empire as usual and are shortly there after arrested by the Thalmor, sent to prison for a bit, and given indoctrination, and then the vampires bust you out. You are thus torn between the original loyalty to the empire, the thalmor indoctrination(They were completely courteous and didn't really imprison you much beyond the whole being locked in a room for a few days/potentially till you died or fessed up to your entire life story(HINT: YOU COULD WORK THE QUESTION SYSTEM FROM DAGGERFALL INTO HERE.),) and the debt you owe to the vampires for them saving you. More over, there's a looming threat in that a psijic went crazy and the last time that happened the Mages Guild got formed and a new god was shortly thereafter formed.

Side factions would by Psijics(focusing first on the philosophy of the order, and the lessons and symbolism thereof, before then going into a political game with your fellow apprentices and eventually the eternal heads of the psijic order itself), the fighters guild(focusing on originally just general contracts, before starting you into an indiana jones style adventure.) the imperial church(Focusing on mostly what the Imperial Church focused on in morrowind, before heading into a certain area of lore that bethesda really need to focus on more, which is the godhood.), and the thieves guild(Focusing on what the thieves guild focused on in Daggerfall, with an increasing series of ever more complex heists ending with you eventually stealing the crown jewels of the empire, the main treasures of the thalmor, and robbing the entire vampire nation blind.) with the vampires also having the assassin's guild, the blood blade legion(basically being a less religious dark brotherhood. Ending with you getting told to kill every leader of the other factions, unnoticed) The vampires wouldn't care if you were a vampire or not, only that you were useful., and the only time you'd need to become a vampire is if you want to be the leader of their faction.

Look at that I've just outlined a plot that would by around 3 times more political, with a main threat that makes sense in the confines of the mythos, and not too many obvious betrayals to lore.

When I can spend 3 minutes and ponder and write those up. I get angry that the writers there probably haven't even perused summaries of the events that happened in the previous games. Hell, setting it 200 years in the future is probably an attempt to get rid of any need to reference events of previous games. The entire game just strikes me as the low hanging fruit. And that's what gets me angry, when I'm entirely apathetic about a game, because it's so bland and stale and wreaking of marketing making most of decisions, I GET ANGRY AS FUCK, because I can recall when as a company they didn't go for the low hanging fruit. When Ken Rolsten was there, to balance Todd's DUDE, IT WILL BE AWESOME(Nuke in the first 4 hours of gameplay, mininuke launcher, dragon in the first 5 minutes, no stats, Patrick Stewart as the emprah, whatsisface with the awesome voice that makes me question all sense of morals and want to skull rape my dad(in game of course), etc.) With general good design, good world design, good art direction, etc.

Hlallu, Redoran, Dres, Indoril, Telvanni, and Dagoth are Morrowinds great houses, did not even have to google those.

Note I am fairly sleep deprived due to a sleep study the doctor has me on, so errors in grammar beyond the norm are to be expected.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
Allright, now that you crystallized in text form what you don't like about Skyrim and Bethesda in #995435 majestic thread how about you start looking for reasons of this state of affairs.

Because I remember when Bethesda used to be good and not focused on the casual market. I remember when selling a modest amount of copies was considered a success. When games didn't have to debut at redonkulous numbers. And I just get so angry at the constant strive for more money, and the creative sapping that's come from it.
Get a grip. You are not mad at Bethesda, you are mad at reality. Zenimax exists to make buck, increase market value and market share and this type of RL boring things. The goal of their decisions at which you look with such contempt is to maximize profits. They made right choices so far, look at Skyrim's sales figures. Now tell me that us, few elitists from the darknet boycotting a company have any effect on their earnings. There is no point getting emotional about reality being reality.

On another note. Given consoletard's double digit IQ I am ready to assume that marketing and PR might have huge impact on sales regardless of game quality (CoD: MW comes to mind). However I see no way for us, outsiders, with no statistics and sales details to figure that out. So, basically, the only hope for incline in the future is masses' responsible voting with the wallets (we are fucked). It will never happen - just look at most of 'dex *JustTakeMyMoney* drooling over every POS release this year.

The fact that they are a company that has betrayed their origins, is what makes me so angry.
No origins were betrayed. In market system you can rest assured that making maximum amount of money with minimum amount of work was their goal from the start.

(...)bitching about gameplay(...)
I agree with most of what you are saying, but still, look at the success of Skyrim. From the point of view Beth and their overlords your suggestions of increased amount of work on the product is pure waste of resources.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Skyrim sucks because it is an action game with an open world that only uses the RPG title as an excuse for its shitty combat with no weapon impact and zombie-like enemies who feel nothing. Also the exploration is complete shit when the world has no variety.

This is why I am "angry" (more like slightly annoyed when I see that "arrow to the knee" crap everywhere as I then remember how many people actually gave betshit money, otherwise pretty apathetic as I did not buy nor waste bandwidth pirating what I knew would be a piece of turd). So cut the we stuff.

tennishero

Novice
TL/DR

bethesda was never any good during the buggerfall phase

skyrim is their best product

nostalgia and mods keep people addicted to morrowind but if you look objectively youll see skyrim is awesome

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Every other company left, is either new, or has been doing it so long, that we've gotten dead to it. Or has been doing it since the origin of the company.

Bethesda has been doing it since oblivion which was only what 6 years ago.

The fact that them and Bioware are the only ones left producing RPGs despite the fact that they are the most casual of RPG developers. Bioware's likely going into the shithole after TOR goes bust, and then we'll be left with Bethesda as the lone old guard of RPG development. Interplay's gone bust, several times over now. Origins been gone for who knows how long, Sir Tech, the majority of people nowadays haven't even HEARD of Sir Tech. Betheda's really the only people we got left, and that's what makes me angry. Bioware always marketed to the lowest common denominator, Bethesda, didn't used to be that way, they were one of the few heralds of, of, it's hard to describe, Politics making high fantasy. Games with heavy politically oriented storylines, but the storylines going towards making High Fantasy adventures more believable.

But how much of this is the fault of the Bioware and Bethesda, and how much of it is the fault of players?
Didn't Bethesda put it quest compasses in Oblivion because so many casuals and consoletards couldn't find Caius Cosades despite detailed written/spoken directions? I've even seen gamers complaing about having to speak to all NPCs in a town in Skyrim - "why can't the quest giving NPCs have a ligh bulb over their heads so I know who I need to talk to?".
That Bethesda and Bioware has survived when Sir-Tech and Interplay didn't is probably because they catered to the casuals and consoletards who sadly make up the large majority of the market for "RPGs" these days.

Luzur

Good Sir
people forget that in the dawn of time, game companies where just a bunch of swell guys in a basement/attic/mom's garage that wanted to get their great RPG games out to other people.

nice ex. are Origin and New World Computing.

then CEO's, higher budgets and market sharing happened.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
people forget that in the dawn of time, game companies where just a bunch of swell guys in a basement/attic/mom's garage that wanted to get their great RPG games out to other people.
Get 'em out to other people, make a buck and move the fuck out of the basement. Self-realization comes second, stop living in a dreamworld. Look at contemporary indie devs and their behaviour. Do you need more evidence?

Luzur

Good Sir
Get 'em out to other people, make a buck and move the fuck out of the basement. Self-realization comes second, stop living in a dreamworld. Look at contemporary indie devs and their behaviour. Do you need more evidence?

dude, read up on the history of the early days of Origin or New World Computing, Richard Garriott did Akalabeth for fun and then sold it cheap in that californian computer shop for kicks (and because there where not much in RPG ways back then and he wanted to make a D&D experience on computers for his D&D group.), Jon Van Caneghem made Might and Magic 1 on an Apple II to teach himself to program and then spread it amongst his friends before starting to sell it on mailorder in ziplock bags cuz they told him he had something good.

so sure, make a buck, but still deliver their dreams of a good RPG, made by fans of RPG for fans of RPG, not by casual crowds for a quick buck.

who are you anyway?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
People are complaining about Morrowind walking being too slow and figthing using dice on here Codexia so what you expect?
They derped all in(to) Oblivion as fans wanted, and cut out everything they were not able to fix in Skyrim.... turning it into decent sandbox whackamole. Atleast the art direction is done right this time but Skyrim was always the dullest of all provinces in lore, good only for snow and snowniggers so I was suprised when it turned out to be far more lively and unique than Cyrodil.
Also where OP spotted political intrigue in Oblibion? o_O

Renegen

Arcane
Not this fucking bullshit again. Every time someone mentions the decline, someone comes out screaming PROFIT, SALES. Only a simple mind would be unable to understand it's possible to achieve sales and profits and quality gameplay. It's all about balance, which the game industry doesn't seem to have. I mean look at the biggest blockbuster movie ever, Avatar. It was made for PROFITS!!!!! but yet incorporates the director's philosophy and managed to get at least a few people thinking.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Why do you insist on playing a shitty game? Shitty game is and will always be shitty bro.

Omicron

Scholar

I know there was a quest cut from oblivion (because of voice acting filling the entire xbox disc) that was supposed to be about rebuilding the city that gets destroyed at the start of the game and have the counts of the other city's trying to get as much influence in the city as possible.

So other than a cut quest I don't think there was any political intrigue in blivion.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
dude, read up on the history of the early days of Origin or New World Computing, Richard Garriott did Akalabeth for fun and then sold it cheap in that californian computer shop for kicks (and because there where not much in RPG ways back then and he wanted to make a D&D experience on computers for his D&D group.), Jon Van Caneghem made Might and Magic 1 on an Apple II to teach himself to program and then spread it amongst his friends before starting to sell it on mailorder in ziplock bags cuz they told him he had something good.

On an inspired garage dwelling game dev issue. I think you are too quick to compare games from the '80s and today. There is a certain amount of work put into development needed for a game to be even considered a finished product. Think of it as a zeitgeist. In the eighties it might have been possible for a single guy to code a little in his spare time and eventually end up with a marketable game. Nowadays you usually require concept artists, advanced game engine, audio effects, there is writing, there are voice-overs and motion capture ;) . Today graphics are expected to reach at least a certain, fundamental level. In the '80s it was much easier for such a game of indie origins to compete with AAA's of the time. Now mainstream offers costly bombastic features for the masses and you are forced to target niche audience. Simply put, there are barriers to entry. The number of man-hours required for a finished product now and then has increased tremendously. Fixed costs increase over time. Monopolies form. Gamer demands soar (and I mean relatively to previous decades; the fact that consoletards demand hats and colon rape is whole other story). And global economy kicks your arse harder year by year, especially now.

Take a look at modern example of 'garage' game: Gemini Rue (it's awesome, check it out link ). Started as a school project if I remember correctly, ended up winning some indie game dev prize and went commercial. It was possible because game is a point-and-click adventure. It has simplistic graphics, is fairly incomplex in concept, difficulty level is low and game's pretty short overall. Genre basically forces the game to be linear. All those factors make Gemini Rue comparatively easy to develop. RPGs have it tougher.

There is also p.iracy but I'm not gonna go there for now.

so sure, make a buck, but still deliver their dreams of a good RPG, made by fans of RPG for fans of RPG, not by casual crowds for a quick buck.

So basically what you are saying is that what devs need is not improved game design but business tips. I simply assume that devs have evaluated profitability of such an endeavour and concluded that risks outweight the benefits. Are you the one to prove them wrong? Especially that for an indie dev one flop usually means food stamps ;).

Renegen said:
Not this fucking bullshit again. Every time someone mentions the decline, someone comes out screaming PROFIT, SALES. Only a simple mind would be unable to understand it's possible to achieve sales and profits and quality gameplay. It's all about balance, which the game industry doesn't seem to have

Sure it is possible. The whole trick is to know where the equlibrium lies. You do realize that if a dev knew of such a point he would certainly make a game of quality gameplay that would satisfy both your needs and those of sales department?
One way we know to reach that point is market system. It's a gradual march where devs release a popamole and look at the reaction of audience, rinse and repeat. If gamers vote correctly with their wallets you eventually arrive at quality gameplay type of a game you propose. We all know the rest of this story, and that it does not have a happy ending.

Renegen said:
. I mean look at the biggest blockbuster movie ever, Avatar. It was made for PROFITS!!!!! but yet incorporates the director's philosophy and managed to get at least a few people thinking.

Avatar was a depressingly shallow piece of CGI, ADHD-induced diarrhoea. I guess this quality argument you were trying to highlight with your post is not so simple after all.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The topic title shouldn't say "bares", but "bears", as in "more than one bear", or "double bear", or "when will Dead State be released?"

(Srsly.)

Proof

Novice
The number of man-hours required for a finished product now and then has increased tremendously.

It barriers mentioning that I have been playing a lot of flash games over on sites like Kongregayt and Armor Gayms. Gotta say there are people out there who produce amazing gameplay, cool innovative concepts, more than workable graphics and sound, and they put their stuff up online for free. They do this in a relatively minute number of man hours compared to major studios. How do you factor this into your argument?

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
I think it is unreasonable to compare full fledged PC releases (which are our point of interest) to flash games no matter how well made those latter are. Take for an example one of the best I've come across so far, Kingdom Rush. It's being realeased on iPad. And that's all guys from Ironhide Game Studio can hope for with a game of that level of depth and complexity.

I know little about this business but from what I've seen securing 'sponsorship' from Armor Games (which accidentaly was bot-advertised here lately, professionals as fuck) or similar site is not really a sustainable business model for an aspiring game dev studio. I don't know how those contracts work, maybe someone on dex can shed some light.

roll-a-die

Magister
People are complaining about Morrowind walking being too slow and figthing using dice on here Codexia so what you expect?
They derped all in(to) Oblivion as fans wanted, and cut out everything they were not able to fix in Skyrim.... turning it into decent sandbox whackamole. Atleast the art direction is done right this time but Skyrim was always the dullest of all provinces in lore, good only for snow and snowniggers so I was suprised when it turned out to be far more lively and unique than Cyrodil.
The entire plot was based on a political faction/cult attempting to bring about the end of the world. There was maneuvering with the other counties to get support for Bruma. There was a slight amount of it in the Mages Guild, with their war against the Necromancers. The thieves guild was based on a duke trying to get his position back.

Again I'm getting about 2 hours of sleep a night these days. So that's the likely reason I'm fucking up text so bad.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do I get an achievement if I read everything?
High Bullshit Tolerance, maybe?

The entire plot was based on a political faction/cult attempting to bring about the end of the world. There was maneuvering with the other counties to get support for Bruma. There was a slight amount of it in the Mages Guild, with their war against the Necromancers. The thieves guild was based on a duke trying to get his position back.
This for example is so much bullshit it buried the fan.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Because I remember when Bethesda used to be good and not focused on the casual market. I remember when selling a modest amount of copies was considered a success. When games didn't have to debut at redonkulous numbers. And I just get so angry at the constant strive for more money, and the creative sapping that's come from it. Daggerfall was generic as all hell, but it still did fantasy and story better Oblivion and Skyrim.

lol wut.

Daggerfall was awful. The presentation was a fucking mess. The only good thing about Daggerfall was that it did a decent FP roguelike dungeon crawl. That's literally it.

Fucking retard expecting more from ES when all they ever were just giant sandbox worlds to explore.

Skyrim may be shit, but it's a lot better than oblivion. But it's still no Morrowind

Game mechanics, Skyrim a hell of a lot fucking better than Morrowind. Game is more balanced, and hardest difficulty on Skyrim > Morrowind where everything died to Alchemy or Enchanting because enemies in Morrowind were a joke. Also, the leveling system in Morrowind was a fucking travesty when you take a glance at where it came from (Daggerfall). Fuck my life I can't stand the way they did the stat gains in Morrowind (and carried this shit into Oblivion). At least in Skyrim skill gains had a larger impact due to how perks required a minimum level. Also, the combat system in Morrowind was executed horribly. There was literally no reason to ever use the weaker attack strikes: all you did was stand there and spam your attack and hope for good rolls. No Strategy.

Guilds in both games were pretty shitty. Skyrims were too short and a warrior could be the Archmage while in Morrowind it was just fucking fetch quest after fetch quest.

Dungeons in Morrowind were shit. Almost as linear as Skyrims but just as boring as fucking Oblivions pile of dog shit level scaled donkey cunt.

Lore, Morrowind does it a little bit better, though the political struggle in Skyrim was well done.

Backstory , Morrowind shines very much so. All of the details of how your hero-self in a past life and how things came to were very interesting. Alduin in Skyrim was just a generic prophecy.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS PART OF IT FOR ME IS TOLERANCE I HAD BEEN IN AN RPG DRAUGHT SO I LOVED MORROWIND AND I LOOKED FORWARD TO OBLIVION AND ENJOYED IT A BIT LESS THEN THOUGHT FALLOUT 3 WAS OKAY AND NOW I JUST DONT HAVE THE HEART TO PLAY SKYRIM I KNOW WHAT BETHESDA DOES AND ITS TRICKS AND THERE FORUMULA HAS JUST WORN OUT ITS WELCOME FOR ME

BROS THEY JUST NEVER IMPROVE MECHANICS MUCH JUST PRESENTATION AND INSTEAD OF MAKING THINGS BETTER THEY CUT OUT WHAT DOESNT WORK BUT NOT IN A GOOD WAY

ortucis

Prophet
I thought Morrowind and Oblivion were retarded. Skyrim is a huge improvement, except for the UI. Fallout 3 was great and New Vegas thanks to Obsidion, was even better.

While we're at it, developers at Bethesda are making what they want to make. Games who think they deserve special treatment can go fuck themselves. I guess that includes most of the Codex. :))

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom