Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A rough idea of a slightly different setting, a hollow world

Murk

Arcane
Note: I'm not at all too fond of the names I used but they help to give a rough idea of what I was imagining.

Sphereia, world inverted.

This is a thought experiment on a possible game world that, due to its fairly simple nature, has probably been talked about before by people who are far more creative and intelligent than I am, but alas, I present an idea for a setting.

Dimension of Sphereia: This plane of existence is a finite space that is inside a large orb, the world is effectively a hollow planet that holds things in and there exists nothing outside of it that is known to any of the natives. Inside the center is a large star and surrounding this large star are islands floating around it. Gravity is reflected as opposite of the star – that is, the star is “up” from any point of the world you are in, and the shell of the world itself is mostly uninhabitable due to the mystical energies that keep it bound. Also, it is so far from the star, it is too cold to live on… at least, for the majority of life.

The actual size, distance, number of islands, or most other metrics are not worked out yet – the way I see it is you could have it as “not everything as been explored” or “here’s a map to everything” depending on how you want to use the setting.

Each floating island is of different size and distance from the large star, the islands range from single home hermit’s escapes to Africa sized continents. The distance variation will allow for desert realms to cold frost bitten lands of grim gloom. Some of the islands are so close to the sun that they are perpetually on fire and only the hardiest of their rocky cores remain.

Description of Sphereia: It is always light, night does not exist unless the star is eclipsed. Many of the inhabited realms have opted to build large canopies over their lands to shield them from the light. Travel is done via flying and gravity works largely like it does here – you are pulled “straight down”, with down being the opposite direction of the sun known as the Pupil of God. Water exists in some places but is largely known as an expensive commodity – not to the point of being used as currency – but a tankard of cold water in a tavern will cost you a decent copper. Copper, yes, most of the elements and substances of this world are the same as our own (but do feel free to suggest any good ideas).

“How do the islands float?” : The argument of science in fantasy land, feel free to completely disregard this as saying “magic” or if you prefer – gravity here works in strange ways, the bottom of the islands have a reverse polarity to the rest of the land – the shell of the world, and the two reflect one another. The islands’ proximity to the star reflects how powerful their reverse gravitational push is to the shell of the world and so determines how far they are from it. Traveling underneath an island is near impossible as you could very easily be thrown into the gravitational struggle, or in the case of the larger islands, be torn to shreds/crushed/imploded/all three’d by the forces of the gravitational push. Given that the “pillar of death” that this presents would prove to be a dangerous aspect, you could limit the number of floating lands, create bizarre travel patterns that people use to travel, or simply disregard it and stick to the “flies by magic, god did it” argument.

Ecology of Sphereia: The culture, language, and genetic makeup of the peoples of the islands differ as much as they do in Forgotten Realms, Earth, or whatever source you prefer. Characters can spend time trying to unravel the mystery of what lies outside the world’s shell as much as they can try to explore the societies established by the islands. There are a particular number of phenomena unique to this world however. Technology in this world is largely fledgling but with certain exceptions. Given their particular geological setting they mastered heavier than air flight much sooner than Earth and have used it to great extent. The lands closest to the shell or edge of the world are colder but bountiful in water. The need for this necessary resource has made it all together too important to not pursue.

Gunpowder and steam engines are just barely turning the corner and are still largerly experimental, but becoming common and necessary. Many of the islands however do not have the resources to develop such intricacies and rely on older almost feudal societies to survive. Some of the fringe islands that have little contact are unable to even send basic hot air ships to other lands and mostly live off their own lands. The presence of magic allows for some things to be slightly more advanced however, as air controlling mages can guide airships without the need of propellors or currents... as there is little air movement. The elements are literally alive as fire, water, earth, and air elementals are very real and they provide many of their inborn energies to the world. In some cases, air elementals literally create wind.

Possible religious groups:

Seers of the Eye: This group believes that world is actually the eye of the creator, god, and that the sun – the source of possible life and the protector of the endless cold of the edge, is his pupil. They value vision, sight, and clairvoyance. Many of their followers become diviners and illusionists and their cult is a great supporter of the visual arts. Many a great artist has professed to be a seer.

Followers of the Egg: This group believes that the world is a great egg and that all life comes from eggs. They hold that the egg is a holy thing pointing to scientific findings of eggs in humans and animals as a reflection of what is divine. They believe in fertility, modesty, humanitarianism, and many of their followers abstain from consuming all egg-based life. Their followers are often druids, healers, geomancers, and doctors.

The Church of the Flame: An offshoot of the Seers of the Eye founded by one of their fire minded disciples. The Church of the Flame believes that fire and warmth is the source of all life and that the sun itself is god given in a physical form. They find that the edge of the world is so cold that it is uninhabitable and so that which shields them from the endless cold must be the source of life. They hold that life is itself a powerful thing and so too much of it is possibly deadly, not by its nature, but by overwhelming power. They hold that the sun is to be worshipped and heralded and those who believe in this group shun any attempt to shield their homes from the sun. The followers of the Church of the Flame take up practices of blacksmithing, industrial work, pyromancy, and technology. The countries/floating lands closest to the sun are sometimes formed almost entirely of followers of this faith.

The edge/shell of Sphereia: Cold, chaotic, mostly uninhabitable, but an important part of life. Some frost-born creatures dwell here and are often at odds with their environment to survive. Much of the shell itself is actually frozen water and little excavation has been attempted to find out what is beyond the shell/edge. For some odd reason magic, technology, and most other ‘energy’ driven things seem to not work entirely the same on the edge. Even the very physics of the world seems to go haywire at times as things start to float or are pulled randomly towards the ground.

Possible adventure seeds!

Local adventures:

You are a young government engineer on the mid-way land of Arptis, and your island has begun to slowly but surely descend! Find out the cause of this descent before your land is destroyed by “Island Cooling!”

Your island has started to move around and is about to crash with another island that is stationary (as is their normal state)! Find a way to save your homeland before two entire city states are destroyed!

A neighboring island has declared war on your own and has sent its fleet of zeppelins to your cliffs! Your country is outmatched and outnumbered and has called on you, a diplomat of great esteem, intellect, and speed of blade to beseech aid from other neighboring lands. Will you seek help from former allies or attempt to negotiate with or assassinate the man leading this attack on your country?

Large scale adventures:

Just what exactly is beyond the shell? Space? Nothingness? And endless universe of dirt with more hollowed worlds like your own? In a strange twist of fate your expedition that was originally set to harvest ice from the edge has come across a strange edifice that is, despite the surroundings, at a temperature that can only be described as “room.” After minor investigation you and your few companions find a strange marking on the edifice and while attempting to investigate it you end up being sucked down a tunnel that seems to lead into a place that defies all physics… what is further in this strange place and does it have to do with what lies beyond?

A strange new island encased in a giant block has appeared near the sun and now the sun has started to turn and is causing all the islands to turn! The tornado of land will surely be your undoing? What is the cause of this? Is it related to the new island?

The seclusive land of the empire of Kartor has opened its borders at last and has sent its ships out to many of the powerful lands in Sphereia. Their technology is alien and ferocious and their ambassadors come bearing offers as much as they do threats. What is the Kartorian Empire planning? And why is it always an empire?

Murk

Arcane
Donno, never heard of it - but from reading its descriptions... not quite. The setting I had in mind doesn't involve hierarchy or the known existence of anything outside the planet. Indeed, I was hoping to leave anything outside the 1 shell a total mystery and imagined the sky in the planet to be a bit darker than usual if you weren't near the star and not based around jRPGs "magical technology" - I was thinking more like a mix of Warhammer fantasy and Arcanum.

I thought having a planescape like "gods exist, in fact, your brother was mugged by a god when he was 34" setting would be neat but that it's already done with that one. Given that Planescape is the "any world ever is doable" world, there's no reason to bother copying something that's already implied.

the isometric grid based battle system does seem interesting though... I think I'll look for it, thanks for bringing it up.

There was a setting based in the middle of the world in the Basic Dungeons and Dragons system : <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_World#Hollow_World'>Hollow World</a>. Maybe it will give you some ideas. There was also a Sega Genesis game called Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun, which used the setting. It was actually a pretty decent game, but I don't recall the setting really having much influence on the gameplay or plot.

Murk

Arcane
This idea sprung from reading the gaming den message board where FrankTrollman, a guy who's writings on d&d i respect very much, was arguing for floating islands in a logical fashion but against hollow earth - i thought that mandating the need for some kind of "must be physically answerable" requirement was silly considering said physically logical answer was "magical flying rocks" - so i thought about incorporating the two settings. This was the rought idea I came up with and though I'd JarlFrank it here and see what the 'dex had to say - people here love to talk shit, well, let's talk shit yaknow?

Murk

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
What about different laws of physhics that visibly affect the setting and some people (proto-scientists) try to investigate?

I got no qualms against it. We could attempt to view this world as 'new', most of the societies there are young and small and barely beginning to understand their environment - the PCs could effectively be an exploration team out not to save the world but to understand it. This is roughly the idea I was going for with the 'excavation gone wrong' adventure seed, and my hopes are that interesting settings can be used to inspire interesting adventure. The usual "we went into the wytch kyng's domain and killed his fel wyrm of doom" is cool, but I really like my co-operative storytelling to be... well, more interesting and less bash bash bash.

There are MMOs and fighting games made that let you just go to town on people's faces, I like my PnP experience with the one thing that doesn't come easily to games, story and content.

Murk

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
tl,dr. Anyway, have you heard of this?

This was pointed out by Flux Capacitor above you, nigs.

The Dyson Sphere seems pretty close to what I was thinking, but on a smaller scale with smaller floating islands. I realize I said "one as big as Africa" but I meant that more as you can have it as big as you want - I originally thought of them as relatively small and that some archipelagos could even be bridged as they don't really float around. Or, conversely, you could have them float around on a set course with a large clockwork like orbit that doesn't interfere with one another, or in some cases for adventure, does interfere and must be stopped.

There were about five thousand seven hundred fifty seven different authors who used that setting, both in fantasy and sci-fi

According to the originality in fiction rules, you need to print your post and eat it.

mondblut

Arcane
Hollow World = been there
Floating islands = done that.

Marrying them - what for?

Besides, floating islands stuff just sucks. This crap was specifically invented for railroading and controlling the players, spoonfeeding them one piece of setting at a time. I dare any writer or game designer to produce or find a game or story set in a "floating islands" world... where the protagonist has a functional craft able to deliver him to any island, anytime he wants. And no islands have a special magic shield designed to stop just such a craft. And said craft doesn't get shot down or broken or stolen in a cutscene 5 minutes into the game. No, really. "floating islands" means "railroading unlimited and not a trace of imagination even to justify it".

So you're basically saying that a very good and open-ended gameworld idea sucks because no one will ever be able to actually use it to it's potential.

I don't feel the famous Codex love here

Murk

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
There were about five thousand seven hundred fifty seven different authors who used that setting, both in fantasy and sci-fi

According to the originality in fiction rules, you need to print your post and eat it.

eh, i said people more creative than i have come up with with this and I'm not claiming to be original about it at all.

Imagine this a discussion on the setting and its application to games, either pen and paper or crpg, but most cats kind of avoided it and... well, oh well. i tried i guess.

So hey, emo-vamp, who was your original account here? I rather like your trollin' style, you seem to get an argument going anywhere.

Murk

Arcane
mondblut said:
Hollow World = been there
Floating islands = done that.

Marrying them - what for?

And basic orbiting sphere, planar dimensions, and any other type of world hasn't been done? There are no original ideas left, it's all been used before - but how does that at all discount their usefulness? And as for why... well..hmm... if i like chocolate AND i like caramel, does it really seem so strange to mix the two? What's that, you don't like either? Oh okay. Neat.

Besides, floating islands stuff just sucks. This crap was specifically invented for railroading and controlling the players, spoonfeeding them one piece of setting at a time. I dare any writer or game designer to produce or find a game or story set in a "floating islands" world... where the protagonist has a functional craft able to deliver him to any island, anytime he wants. And no islands have a special magic shield designed to stop just such a craft. And said craft doesn't get shot down or broken or stolen in a cutscene 5 minutes into the game. No, really. "floating islands" means "railroading unlimited and not a trace of imagination even to justify it".

well...

Emotional Vampire said:
So you're basically saying that a very good and open-ended gameworld idea sucks because no one will ever be able to actually use it to it's potential.

I don't feel the famous Codex love here

yes.

The idea is itself just as limitless as any other idea in regards to how much potential gameplay and storytelling can occur, if no one has used it successfully (rather, to your liking) previously that does not mean the setting is itself bad. Railroading? Why? I gave the idea of easy access to heavier than air flight, by all means, the protagonists have entire FLEETS of airships. Hell, they found an ancient Creator Race temple on a small aerodynamically shaped island that they can steer. There are teleporters on every island bigger than 5 square miles. Use your imagination and design any event you want.

mondblut

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:

"Open-ended"? "Floating islands" just SCREAM "you can't leave this place until you do X". Why else bother breaking the world into separate self-contained chunks? So say Evil Islands, Spellforce and every other piece of shit game which clinged to "floating islands" as a means to keep player on the rails.

Mikayel said:
There are teleporters on every island bigger than 5 square miles.

And each of them, I bet, either would have to be repaired by arcane means, would be guarded by a horde of evil, would be a teleport-hopping puzzle, or something else of equal worthiness. That's how "floating islands" always work. They just don't make a (pretty senseless) setting of floating bits separated from one another only to let you move between them at a whim. There are normal land masses for that :D

Murk

Arcane
mondblut said:
And each of them, I bet, either would have to be repaired by arcane means, would be guarded by a horde of evil, would be a teleport-hopping puzzle, or something else of equal worthiness. That's how "floating islands" always work. They just don't make a (pretty senseless) setting of floating bits separated from one another only to let you move between them at a whim. There are normal land masses for that :D

Not necessarily. The difference in height and distance from the shell/sun would influence their setting and you would be able to have 1 country of chain-linked islands range from scorching desert to frozen wasteland and everything inbetween. The idea is that nations are seperated to the average cunt and so societies are mostly different because of little interaction, save for highly industrialized lands, but to important people with resources (player characters) inter-island travel is as easy as pie.

I don't get why you HAVE to railroad players, or that even if you do, how that automatically equals bad. Youre the dm, make something up.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Reminds me of Sigil, which is a town built in the inside of a donut.

Murk

Arcane
bhlaab said:
Gonna be honest with you, it sounds a bit like a JRPG.

But i never touched on railroaded story, cliche characters, transvestite fashion, or gigantic swords... :(

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Some time ago I did this while testing a Genius PenSketch thingie...

haven.JPG

You have mentioned a small hermit's island - here you go!

And of course, floating islands are unoriginal, as well as dwarves and elves, fireballs, plasma rifles and saviors of the world. Quite everything has been done before, but not in every possble way.

Your idea also reminded me of GameCube title Baten Kaitos, which was breathtaking at first, and dul and generic after some time. The game probably combined everything the designers ever liked, so that in the end it has no distinct face (same as most JRPGs).

Following the links in this thread, I got the impression that although done many times, the idea of a hollow "planet" and floating islands is still waiting for a really good implementation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom