Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

a SHOCKER(not)-Bethesda will use an upgraded version of the Creation Engine for TES VI and Starfield

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Creation engine which is upgraded Gamebryo, in 2025 it will be 25 years old :lol:

Todd is now one with the machine, you can't put gamebryo out of Bethesda.

toddmonster.jpg

Todd:

For Fallout 76 we have changed a lot. The game uses a new renderer, a new lighting system and a new system for the landscape generation. For Starfield even more of it changes. And for The Elder Scrolls 6, out there on the horizon even more. We like our editor. It allows us to create worlds really fast and the modders know it really well. There are some elementary ways we create our games and that will continue because that lets us be efficient and we think it works best

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/beth...engine-for-the-elder-scrolls-6-and-starfield/

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Welcome to the great big city of Sentinel, home to more than a dozen npcs with unique jobs to do, like staring at you, and shouting rumors across the great bazaar that is all of three stalls wide.

Shinji

Savant
So I guess that means more loading screens when entering a town or house, something Gothic 2/3 got rid of ages ago.

Funposter

Arcane
So I guess that means more loading screens when entering a town or house, something Gothic 2/3 got rid of ages ago.

This has more to do with the design philosophy than the engine. They want every cell to act as its own little bubble with 20-50 NPCs performing their schedule, and so opening the cell results in either

1. Outside forces (dragons, super mutants) being able to destroy the illusion of a living world
2. A CPU-bound performance scenario because even the most inconsequential NPC needs to have a detailed schedule where they sit down and drink beer for 5 hours before taking a shit

The change to 64-bit should have alleviated the performance issue somewhat, but Bethesda is also a console-focused developer, so even their closed-off cells resulted in slideshows in the console versions of Fallout 4.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Does that mean all buildings would still proc loading screen with almost same sound doors clanked in Morrowind?

Yosharian

Arcane
Beth wants to make the same game over and over

That's why they want to re-use the old engine.

Doing something different would require actual creativity, something maybe Beth has never actually possessed?

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Guys this is to be expected. No company creates engines from scratch anymore. And there is no reason for that. Game engines are modular, with constant upgrades you reach a point when the game engine becomes "new" anyway...

Plus people blame the game engine a little too much. It is not the engine, it is Bethesda. Bethesda does not do Quality Assurance, Bethesda makes cheap art assets, Bethesda do not optimize their games. It is not the engine. The engine is capable of producing incredible graphics, as evidenced by the results of many mods for their games. Plus if they could be bothered to actually bug fix their fucking games, and optimize their shit, we wouldn't be talking about the engine. Look what results amateurs can achieve by releasing Unofficial patches and optimization mods...

typical user

Arbiter
Guys this is to be expected. No company creates engines from scratch anymore. And there is no reason for that. Game engines are modular, with constant upgrades you reach a point when the game engine becomes "new" anyway...

Plus people blame the game engine a little too much. It is not the engine, it is Bethesda. Bethesda does not do Quality Assurance, Bethesda makes cheap art assets, Bethesda do not optimize their games. It is not the engine. The engine is capable of producing incredible graphics, as evidenced by the results of many mods for their games. Plus if they could be bothered to actually bug fix their fucking games, and optimize their shit, we wouldn't be talking about the engine. Look what results amateurs can achieve by releasing Unofficial patches and optimization mods...

Disagree. I have modded crap out of Fo3, FoNV, Skyrim and Fo4. And over 10 years I have not seen a quality mod adding vehicles to those games neither ladders. Crap like that was possible in first Hitman game or GTA 3. If devs want to stick to their engine then it should at least be up for the current and future tasks. Gamebryo shits itself when it comes to traveling around the map at high speed. I mean data streaming was possible in 2004... Back when GTA: San Andreas had a debut.

Meanwhile CDP Red has Chrome Engine or whatever it is called, looks better, runs better and their newest game will feature normal cars, wallrunning, slow-time and much more. Compared to current shit Bethesda has shown us they should brand their games as Indie because that's the technical quality of their games.

Kallinyo

Novice
Other than bugs, the one thing that always annoyed me. Is that I always liked to climb mountains in their games, or just anything that is close to climbing anything. If they're keeping their engine, they really gotta give you more freedom, or even add the ability to maneuver around. That to me really adds something new for their games. I hope that they'll bring back role-play after when they got criticized for the dialogue system in FO4, at least they listened to the fans cause of what they did with Far harbor and Nuka world expansions. Honestly if they ever make a new engine, or at least take pointers from CDP Red, then they'll start to see a lot of improvement, and the modding community will be awesome. Sadly, these are just dreams of a madman :negative:

Yosharian

Arcane
Other than bugs, the one thing that always annoyed me. Is that I always liked to climb mountains in their games, or just anything that is close to climbing anything. If they're keeping their engine, they really gotta give you more freedom, or even add the ability to maneuver around. That to me really adds something new for their games. I hope that they'll bring back role-play after when they got criticized for the dialogue system in FO4, at least they listened to the fans cause of what they did with Far harbor and Nuka world expansions. Honestly if they ever make a new engine, or at least take pointers from CDP Red, then they'll start to see a lot of improvement, and the modding community will be awesome. Sadly, these are just dreams of a madman :negative:
Climbing would be awesome.

Tenebris

Scholar
In other words the current engine is something modders are familiar with and will therefore allow them to make more money with the Creation Club.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
They can obviously afford to take 6 months and train their employees on a new engine. Games that aren't built on Gamebryo can be modded. The reason they stick with an engine that's old enough to drink is because it's easy enough for modders to be able to fix their games.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A company unwilling to change or evolve is probably just flat out doomed long term.

I feel like F04 got a pass because that was 3 years ago and it was early in the console cycle, and the *art direction* was pretty good.

I seriously doubt that Starbound is going to be lauded for its graffics by fans, it's a big mistake green-lighting ES6, a game that is realistically coming out in 5 years at this point, for next gen on that engine.

They can obviously afford to take 6 months and train their employees on a new engine. Games that aren't built on Gamebryo can be modded. The reason they stick with an engine that's old enough to drink is because it's easy enough for modders to be able to fix their games.

Weekly reminder most engines are game studio sized projects, most AAA games are either made on Unreal/Cryshit other middleware places with huge budgets, Frostbite/Anvil which are owned by colossal multi billion dollar companies who have massive teams behind supporting said engines, or else game development takes as long as Rockstar or the FF15 team takes which is aeons.

If Zenimax were visionaries they would have been investing in ID Tech 7 or 8 to bring Bethesda under the banner and have it ready for Elder Scrolls 6, with Starbound as the last Gamebryo engine. If.

aeroaeko

Learned
Video games is honestly the worst hobby to get into. There is no other form of media where companies can so blatantly get away with being lazy pieces of shit and still make millions. I'm not making any threats but lets just say hypothetically it might be time for some brave soul to take an assault rifle to Bethesda headquarters and, well, "take out the trash".

Yosharian

Arcane
Video games is honestly the worst hobby to get into. There is no other form of media where companies can so blatantly get away with being lazy pieces of shit and still make millions. I'm not making any threats but lets just say hypothetically it might be time for some brave soul to take an assault rifle to Bethesda headquarters and, well, "take out the trash".
Yikes

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Disagree. I have modded crap out of Fo3, FoNV, Skyrim and Fo4. And over 10 years I have not seen a quality mod adding vehicles to those games neither ladders. Crap like that was possible in first Hitman game or GTA 3. If devs want to stick to their engine then it should at least be up for the current and future tasks. Gamebryo shits itself when it comes to traveling around the map at high speed. I mean data streaming was possible in 2004... Back when GTA: San Andreas had a debut.

Meanwhile CDP Red has Chrome Engine or whatever it is called, looks better, runs better and their newest game will feature normal cars, wallrunning, slow-time and much more. Compared to current shit Bethesda has shown us they should brand their games as Indie because that's the technical quality of their games.

You realize you can't compare San Andreas with Bethesda games right? Bethesda games have much, much more information to calculate than GTA games. GTA has the character, the NPCs, the vehicles, and some static walls pretending to be buildings. Bethesda games have lots of items with various properties, proper buildings you can actually go inside, more complicated AI, an RPG combat system, etc...

Also, Bethesda games were made to be played in first person from the begining and had the need for better quality textures and higher quality meshes in order to not look like shit, while earlier GTA games were CARTOONY for a reason: To have lower resolution assets and fewer polygons... Imagine if you could play San Andreas in first person, and how shitty it would look. The original Half Life would have made it look like it was made in the 80s... It was only with the latest GTAs that they managed to approach the graphical quality of Bethesda but this took a lot of cpu and gpu power... Remember how GTA IV was hardly playable on PCs of the day, and GTA V requires a monster PC for 2013-2015.

You are impressed by CDPR but from what i have seen from the gameplay video, driving is done on a different "level" than normal gameplay. You can only drive a car on a special "freeway" that has no proper exits, points of interest, etc, so inside it the car can go fast while not creating problems for the game engine.

Seriously guys, gamebryo is FINE. It is a good engine. You think you know better than the professional DEVELOPERS who work on it? What are your credentials, "been playing video games for 5-10 years"? If Bethesda could actually get better results from a new engine, they would do it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom