Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

a SHOCKER(not)-Bethesda will use an upgraded version of the Creation Engine for TES VI and Starfield

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Video games is honestly the worst hobby to get into. There is no other form of media where companies can so blatantly get away with being lazy pieces of shit and still make millions. I'm not making any threats but lets just say hypothetically it might be time for some brave soul to take an assault rifle to Bethesda headquarters and, well, "take out the trash".
tfw you're a fed

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Todd:

For Fallout 76 we have changed a lot. The game uses a new renderer, a new lighting system and a new system for the landscape generation. For Starfield even more of it changes. And for The Elder Scrolls 6, out there on the horizon even more. We like our editor. It allows us to create worlds really fast and the modders know it really well. There are some elementary ways we create our games and that will continue because that lets us be efficient and we think it works best

Sounds a lot like a Beamdog NWN update.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously guys, gamebryo is FINE. It is a good engine. You think you know better than the professional DEVELOPERS who work on it?

Who else beside Bethesda are using the engine at this point? Genuinely curious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo#Games

Nobody.

So I guess that means more loading screens when entering a town or house, something Gothic 2/3 got rid of ages ago.

Gothic 1 got rid of it in 2001.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Guys this is to be expected. No company creates engines from scratch anymore. And there is no reason for that. Game engines are modular, with constant upgrades you reach a point when the game engine becomes "new" anyway...

Plus people blame the game engine a little too much. It is not the engine, it is Bethesda. Bethesda does not do Quality Assurance, Bethesda makes cheap art assets, Bethesda do not optimize their games. It is not the engine. The engine is capable of producing incredible graphics, as evidenced by the results of many mods for their games. Plus if they could be bothered to actually bug fix their fucking games, and optimize their shit, we wouldn't be talking about the engine. Look what results amateurs can achieve by releasing Unofficial patches and optimization mods...
IO Interactive did it for Hitman (2016), I think.

typical user

Arbiter
Sorry but I have to crop up your post because you are wrong on different topics.

You realize you can't compare San Andreas with Bethesda games right? Bethesda games have much, much more information to calculate than GTA games. GTA has the character, the NPCs, the vehicles, and some static walls pretending to be buildings. Bethesda games have lots of items with various properties, proper buildings you can actually go inside, more complicated AI, an RPG combat system, etc...

By entering buildings you mean "loading a space cell". The only thing which bears truth are handplaced objects with proper physics applied to them. Still I made a point about streaming data allowing to traverse world at much quicker pace. GTA also has loads of info to process like vehicle randomization, NPC rotation, proper AI reacting to different events like different gangs, explosions, player with wanted level, time of day, weather or even story mode missions.

Also, Bethesda games were made to be played in first person from the begining and had the need for better quality textures and higher quality meshes in order to not look like shit, while earlier GTA games were CARTOONY for a reason: To have lower resolution assets and fewer polygons... Imagine if you could play San Andreas in first person, and how shitty it would look. The original Half Life would have made it look like it was made in the 80s... It was only with the latest GTAs that they managed to approach the graphical quality of Bethesda but this took a lot of cpu and gpu power... Remember how GTA IV was hardly playable on PCs of the day, and GTA V requires a monster PC for 2013-2015.

Please tell me how Oblivion faces look better than what we were served by Rockstar with their games on PS2 era. GTA IV shouldn't be brought up to table - it still runs like shit, I get constant 60 fps in GTA V while it's predecessor ran around 45-55 fps and has no proper anti-aliasing. It is widely considered an example how you should not port your game on PC platform.

You are impressed by CDPR but from what i have seen from the gameplay video, driving is done on a different "level" than normal gameplay. You can only drive a car on a special "freeway" that has no proper exits, points of interest, etc, so inside it the car can go fast while not creating problems for the game engine.

This is how they designed their world with claustrophobic alleys - but if you want to play the ball then look at horse travel in Skyrim and in Witcher 3. Skyrim has also numerous loading screens, even Fallout 4 - a game from fucking 2017 has a loading screens on every turn. Meanwhile Witcher 3 only has two - when you load a save or travel to different region, not just postsign but region like from Velen to Skellige. What is even more funny, you can seamlessly enter buildings, caves and the game was planned to have one huge open world without loading screens. Before you bring up your "it's FPS" shit - Cyberpunk is using same technology and designed as FPS - Witcher 3 may be a third person perspective but it has MORE detailed graphics than this turd Bethesda recently opened for beta-testing.

Seriously guys, gamebryo is FINE. It is a good engine. You think you know better than the professional DEVELOPERS who work on it? What are your credentials, "been playing video games for 5-10 years"? If Bethesda could actually get better results from a new engine, they would do it.

Even mod developers say it's shit. If your engine works like person with muscle atrophia then you should fucking consider spending your bucks on designing something new from ground up because because updates don't do jack shit as evidenced by same limitations present in Skyrim and Morrowind. But it is fine, physics locked to 60 fps or going bonkers, every building requiring loading different space cell or magic effects breaking up on save reload or huge fps drops in central Boston in Fo4 is fine. And it still looks like dog shit even with dozens of mods.

Yosharian

Arcane
Sorry but I have to crop up your post because you are wrong on different topics.

You realize you can't compare San Andreas with Bethesda games right? Bethesda games have much, much more information to calculate than GTA games. GTA has the character, the NPCs, the vehicles, and some static walls pretending to be buildings. Bethesda games have lots of items with various properties, proper buildings you can actually go inside, more complicated AI, an RPG combat system, etc...

By entering buildings you mean "loading a space cell". The only thing which bears truth are handplaced objects with proper physics applied to them. Still I made a point about streaming data allowing to traverse world at much quicker pace. GTA also has loads of info to process like vehicle randomization, NPC rotation, proper AI reacting to different events like different gangs, explosions, player with wanted level, time of day, weather or even story mode missions.

Also, Bethesda games were made to be played in first person from the begining and had the need for better quality textures and higher quality meshes in order to not look like shit, while earlier GTA games were CARTOONY for a reason: To have lower resolution assets and fewer polygons... Imagine if you could play San Andreas in first person, and how shitty it would look. The original Half Life would have made it look like it was made in the 80s... It was only with the latest GTAs that they managed to approach the graphical quality of Bethesda but this took a lot of cpu and gpu power... Remember how GTA IV was hardly playable on PCs of the day, and GTA V requires a monster PC for 2013-2015.

Please tell me how Oblivion faces look better than what we were served by Rockstar with their games on PS2 era. GTA IV shouldn't be brought up to table - it still runs like shit, I get constant 60 fps in GTA V while it's predecessor ran around 45-55 fps and has no proper anti-aliasing. It is widely considered an example how you should not port your game on PC platform.

You are impressed by CDPR but from what i have seen from the gameplay video, driving is done on a different "level" than normal gameplay. You can only drive a car on a special "freeway" that has no proper exits, points of interest, etc, so inside it the car can go fast while not creating problems for the game engine.

This is how they designed their world with claustrophobic alleys - but if you want to play the ball then look at horse travel in Skyrim and in Witcher 3. Skyrim has also numerous loading screens, even Fallout 4 - a game from fucking 2017 has a loading screens on every turn. Meanwhile Witcher 3 only has two - when you load a save or travel to different region, not just postsign but region like from Velen to Skellige. What is even more funny, you can seamlessly enter buildings, caves and the game was planned to have one huge open world without loading screens. Before you bring up your "it's FPS" shit - Cyberpunk is using same technology and designed as FPS - Witcher 3 may be a third person perspective but it has MORE detailed graphics than this turd Bethesda recently opened for beta-testing.

Seriously guys, gamebryo is FINE. It is a good engine. You think you know better than the professional DEVELOPERS who work on it? What are your credentials, "been playing video games for 5-10 years"? If Bethesda could actually get better results from a new engine, they would do it.

Even mod developers say it's shit. If your engine works like person with muscle atrophia then you should fucking consider spending your bucks on designing something new from ground up because because updates don't do jack shit as evidenced by same limitations present in Skyrim and Morrowind. But it is fine, physics locked to 60 fps or going bonkers, every building requiring loading different space cell or magic effects breaking up on save reload or huge fps drops in central Boston in Fo4 is fine. And it still looks like dog shit even with dozens of mods.

> physics locked to 60 fps or going bonkers

You could literally have just posted this

Funposter

Arcane
Guys this is to be expected. No company creates engines from scratch anymore. And there is no reason for that. Game engines are modular, with constant upgrades you reach a point when the game engine becomes "new" anyway...

Plus people blame the game engine a little too much. It is not the engine, it is Bethesda. Bethesda does not do Quality Assurance, Bethesda makes cheap art assets, Bethesda do not optimize their games. It is not the engine. The engine is capable of producing incredible graphics, as evidenced by the results of many mods for their games. Plus if they could be bothered to actually bug fix their fucking games, and optimize their shit, we wouldn't be talking about the engine. Look what results amateurs can achieve by releasing Unofficial patches and optimization mods...

Glacier 2 went on to be used for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, although it was a heavily modified version. It probably makes more sense to create something from the ground up when you can then pass it around to several developers under your publisher's umbrella.

Wunderbar

Arcane

no, that's still Glacier, just updated.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just googled and learned about it. Hmm, did Deus Ex Mankind Divided even use much of that engine beyond the rendering?

Funposter

Arcane
it employed an advanced anti aliasing technqiue which nuked your GPU

oh and parallax mapping for the cobblestone streets (this was actually good tbh)

Wunderbar

Arcane
Starfield vs Unannounced Obsidian Space RPG - Which is vaporware and why?!

Vapourware /ˈveɪpəwɛː/ - product that has been announced, but that the developer has no intention of releasing any time soon.

Obsidian's project wasn't even announced lol.

ADL

Prophet

Found Jason Schreier's account. A lot of Bethesda game's issues can be directly attributed to Bethesda's incompetence but pretending that Gamebryo is a solid foundation in the same way that the Quake engine is used as a base for Call of Duty and Valve's games is incredibly disingenuous. Their tech is clearly unsuitable for the kind of scale that Bethesda and their fans are expecting/trying to make themselves.

They need a new foundation. They have id Software under the Zenimax banner, why not commission them to make something according to their specifications? They'd even be able to get a game or two out of it while it's in development. They could license the APEX engine from Avalanche who seem to be great collaborators based on RAGE 2. They could work with Unity, CryEngine, Lumberyard or Unreal. Hell, after today's court battle with CIG, I bet they could fork CryEngine for pennies on the dollar and they seem to have a great relationship with Microsoft, I bet they'd hand over a first parties' engine no strings attached if they asked. There's a lot of options out there for them and it's frustrating to see them continually pass on them when they have the time, money and resources to do something truly great and getting a solid foundation for their games for once is a huge step towards that.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Found Jason Schreier's account. A lot of Bethesda game's issues can be directly attributed to Bethesda's incompetence but pretending that Gamebryo is a solid foundation in the same way that the Quake engine is used as a base for Call of Duty and Valve's games is incredibly disingenuous. Their tech is clearly unsuitable for the kind of scale that Bethesda and their fans are expecting/trying to make themselves.

They need a new foundation. They have id Software under the Zenimax banner, why not commission them to make something according to their specifications? They'd even be able to get a game or two out of it while it's in development. They could license the APEX engine from Avalanche who seem to be great collaborators based on RAGE 2. They could work with Unity, CryEngine, Lumberyard or Unreal. Hell, after today's court battle with CIG, I bet they could fork CryEngine for pennies on the dollar and they seem to have a great relationship with Microsoft, I bet they'd hand over a first parties' engine no strings attached if they asked. There's a lot of options out there for them and it's frustrating to see them continually pass on them when they have the time, money and resources to do something truly great and getting a solid foundation for their games for once is a huge step towards that.

Dude, seriously, just, STOP. I am tired of explaining why the engine is not the issue. One of the reasons i hate gamers is because 99.9999% of them can't write a "hello world" in C yet they claim to know everything about engines and game development... I repeat, just because you know how to eat well does not mean you know how to cook...

You are talking about a "new foundation". How many AAA games were released this generation that relied on a "new foundation"? Please, tell me. I am waiting...

Witcher 3? Based on an improved Witcher 2 engine.
Assassin Creed? An evolution of the Prince of Persia engine
Unreal 4 engine? An evolution of the first Unreal engine
Cryengine? An evolution of the original Farcry (2004) engine
Doom (2016) and other id games : an evolution of the original quake engine...
Battlefield 5? An evolution of the original Frostbite engine many years ago...
GTA V/Red Dead Redemption 2? An evolution of the GTA III engine...

I could go on all day, the point is, almost no engine was build from scratch this gen. Only Mankind Divided used a new engine, and Tomb Raider reboots, other Square Enix games like Final Fantasy XV... And even those could have reused some parts from older engines...

Thing is, there is no reason to throw away code that is proven to work, and is bug fixed and polished. Game engines are modular. You can replace some stuff, but you don't need to chop your head off just because you have a toothache... Even when companies announce "a brand new engine" they really are just upgrading their old engine and giving it a different name, for marketing reasons. Even Bethesda did that with "Creation engine" which was just Gamebryo. They had to name it differently so idiots wouldn't cry that Skyrim would have the same graphics and gameplay systems as Oblivion...

Now, you are saying they should use another engine. And i got to say, you are very ignorant of how game development works. Using Unreal 4 or Cryengine won't make Fallout 5 or the next Elder Scrolls better. In fact, they will probably have to spend YEARS just retooling their creation kits for those engines, in order to make the damn games...

Seriously, name me 1 thing that you need changed in Skyrim or Fallout 4, and can't be done in the current engine. Just 1.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom