Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A very short "Why D:OS is the Best"

Yay or Nay?

• Fuck yeah!

Votes: 89 55.6%
  • Bleargh!

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • Lol, wut?

Votes: 48 30.0%

• Total voters

Kz3r0

Arcane
Because they did the game they wanted to make even if that meant to take a huge financial risk, and managed to make it fun too.
As for now they are the only Kickstarter that did that, for this alone they deserve a special recognition.

darthaegis

Cipher
Fuck yeah! too, but mostly because of them making what they wanted, as I haven't played a lot of PoE (waiting to either buy on sale or get a key from the beg thread so I just played the "arr demo" :oops:) so I can't say whether it's the best Kickstarted game. Still, Underrail>everything I've played (I'm currently downloading the AoD demo.)

Kz3r0

Arcane
Still no day&cycle and NPC schedules.
As opposed to a worthless keep, entire towns populated by shitty backers NPCs, episodic content, or completely different games from what was promised, without mentioning no game at all sometimes.
We are talking about Kickstrter here.

DramaticPopcorn

Still no day&cycle and NPC schedules.
As opposed to a worthless keep, entire towns populated by shitty backers NPCs, episodic content, or completely different games from what was promised, without mentioning no game at all sometimes.
We are talking about Kickstrter here.
It's the only game I backed, so I have nothing else to compare to, since I've never followed development of other games.
Larian promised this feature but didn't implement it, furthermore, they promised they would lay all the groundwork for this feature and then this could be modded in but turns out the editor is faulty and it's not that easy to complete mods on your own and there is no easily available groundwork for day/night cycle, either.

JasonNH

Augur
Because they did the game they wanted to make even if that meant to take a huge financial risk, and managed to make it fun too.
As for now they are the only Kickstarter that did that, for this alone they deserve a special recognition.

D:OS is my fav, but in the interest of objectivity, I don't see why it can't be said about Obsidian and PoE. I just happen to love the kind of game that Larian loves a bit more.

Perkel

Arcane
A very short "Why D:OS is the Best"

BECAUSE:

I can fire up dude with candle from my chest which i took from ground along with several other boxes because fuck you that's why !

SniperHF

Arcane
:fuuyeah:

Though I have enjoyed the other major KS RPGs and a few of the smaller ones to varying degrees as well.

It's the only game I backed, so I have nothing else to compare to, since I've never followed development of other games.
Larian promised this feature but didn't implement it, furthermore, they promised they would lay all the groundwork for this feature and then this could be modded in but turns out the editor is faulty and it's not that easy to complete mods on your own and there is no easily available groundwork for day/night cycle, either.

The code for the game clock is there and I could pretty easily make changes based on it. Actually adding those changes to the main game is where I'd just shoot myself before trying.

Kz3r0

Arcane
D:OS is my fav, but in the interest of objectivity, I don't see why it can't be said about Obsidian and PoE. I just happen to love the kind of game that Larian loves a bit more.
PoE is the game Josh always wnated to do, not Obsidian, at least I hope so.

Who gives a fuck about that bullshit, worse than those people that are always harping on about soul and love.:decline: Either the game's good or it's not, dev intentions don't mean shit.
D:OS is good because it has great combat, abilities and character progression.:incline:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Fun" is awfully vague. One could argue that HBS, inXile, and DoubleBear accomplished the same goals.

Wrong on both counts.

Kz3r0

Arcane
"Fun" is awfully vague. One could argue that HBS, inXile, and DoubleBear accomplished the same goals.

HBS had to bargain with M$ behind the scenes, Fargo didn't put the existence of the studio at risk and DoubleBear removed all the challenge from the game to make it more appealing for casuals, no risk of infection for example.

Wrong on both counts.
Amuse me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Who can I blame for this?

Feargus Urquhart and Adam Brennecke.

HBS had to bargain with M$ behind the scenes,

So..? They still made the game they wanted to, and had to take out a loan to complete it.

Fargo didn't put the existence of the studio at risk

If not for Wasteland 2 he'd be in shovelware hell at the moment.

and DoubleBear removed all the challenge from the game to make it more appealing for casuals, no risk of infection for example.

Again, so? Still the game they wanted to make, some people find it fun.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Who can I blame for this?

Feargus Urquhart and Adam Brennecke.

Trying a differnt trolling angle this time?
HBS had to bargain with M$ behind the scenes,

So..? They still made the game they wanted to, and had to take out a loan to complete it.
Bullshit, M$ dicatted what they could do or not and what they could use or not.
Fargo didn't put the existence of the studio at risk

If not for Wasteland 2 he'd be in shovelware hell at the moment.
Fargo is a businessman, while I am sure he wanted to do the games he Kickstarted he is also ready to compromise if needed, so is hard to judge.
and DoubleBear removed all the challenge from the game to make it more appealing for casuals, no risk of infection for example.

Again, so? Still the game they wanted to make, some people find it fun.
They rushed it out because they didn't have any more money, by definition the game they sold wasn't the game they wanted to do because was still unfinished and unpolished.

You are not even trying, making something you really want to do and hoping to make a profit is different by doing something because you hope to make a profit out of it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

But it's true. Brennecke pitched the IE successor, Urquhart approved and rubberstamped all the dumb stretch goal ideas.

They did no such thing. Prove that statement.

Fargo is a businessman, while I am sure he wanted to do the games he Kickstarted he is also ready to compromise if needed, so is hard to judge.

Everyone compromises. Vincke's a businessman too.

They rushed it out because they didn't have any more money, by definition the game they sold wasn't the game they wanted to do because was still unfinished and unpolished.

Same applies to D:OS, which has yet to receive its rebalance patch.

You are not even trying, making something you really want to do and hoping to make a profit is different by doing something because you hope to make a profit out of it.

You think Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and Dead State were products made solely to make a profit....? Uh....

Kz3r0

Arcane

But it's true. Brennecke pitched the IE successor, Urquhart approved and rubberstamped all the dumb stretch goal ideas.
Are you saying that Sawyer genius was hindered by the non implementation of the keep?

They did no such thing. Prove that statement.
The editor, they had to bargain hard and making non-steam mods was made extremely cimbersome for once, besides M$ didn't send to me the contract with all the clauses, yet I doubt that they didn't have a say on how their IP would be used.

Everyone compromises. Vincke's a businessman too.
Yet Sven has gone out of his way to do the game, Fargo acts more balanced, not that he has any obligation to take such risks.

Same applies to D:OS, which has yet to receive its rebalance patch.
Yawn, if that is the same thing for you.

You think Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and Dead State were products made solely to make a profit....? Uh....
I was explaining the difference, at best they didn't lose sight of the business side, at worst we got PoE.

Hegel

Arcane
Funny. Humor me. PoE is a shit game exactly because it's the opposite of what Brennecke pitched. We knew that Sawyer's "midas touch" would inevitably turn everything into shit and that's it. Now imagine if this game was even more sawyerized, holy shit.
Time and time again during preproduction the codex called him on his idiotic decisions, and the critics were proved right, the game is weak and we knew it from the start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom