Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About ELEX...

Hot Coldman

Educated
Gothic 1 and especially 2 are in my top favorite games of all time, but I played Elex when it came out and I didn't like it. Sure, it has one of the most impressive, stunning fantasy worlds I have ever seen, factions are great etc etc.

Very vague summary of what I did in the game (its been years):
Started off doing quests in the hippie viking town (don't remember names, sorry), then left them and went at the dome town did some quests there, then went to the desert did a quest about a bomb and some others and finally went into an imposing but empty mountain futuristic base, to which a quest from the dome(?) town had sent me, and was looting everything my heart desired until I quit.

Now, the reasons I didn't like it:
-I felt combat was too weird, I could stun lock anything, the AI sucked and consequently it got boring.
-I was looting stuff mostly unhindered and in the end got a bunch of godly items I didn't know what to do with.
-Perks in their majority felt bland and almost nothing made me look forward to them. Spells were kind of a disappointment and I never had to use most of them.

Ran out of games to play and thought if I should I give it another chance. Was it patched or did it improve since then (played the very first version)? Are there any good mods for it (I like difficulty and survival in such games)?

If anything, if you are wanting more incline 3D open world RPG, you could try the next best thing since Gothic 2...
Namely Risen 1.. OR, also Morrowind. Or New Vegas. That's actually about it.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
well... in gothic 1 you could finish whole game by channeling wind spell for 1s and kill enemies by having them hit walls which costed you no mana. id say elex is better when looking at exploitable mechanic

Wait what? I guess I played that game wrong!

The weirdest part for me was the difficulty curve. Unlike on the first two Gothics were you're slowly going up the food chain, being able to defeat more kinds of enemies as you progress on the game, here I was being crushed by every fucking living thing for 3/4 of the game, having to cheese most fights (which on the other hand is PB tradition) then suddenly I became a demigod able to destroy anything on my way.

That was kinda my experience. Except I never got to the 3/4 of the game part. I kinda liked exploring some of the world though.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom