Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ace Attorney coming to steam!

Exhuminator

Arcane
I have beaten all three of these on original DS.

The first game (Ace Attorney) really is excellent. 9/10

The second game (Justice for All) triples down on the goofy and shits up the writing. 5/10

The third game (Trials & Tribulations) is mostly decent, but is too overwritten, and still overly goofy. 7/10

I suppose if I'd played these as a kid or teenager, my opinion might have been higher. These aren't really written with well read adults in mind. Hotel Dusk and Last Window beat the shit out of these games.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The devs got into this weird limbo with Apollo Justice. It was supposed to be a complete revamp with new characters, but the suits demanded Phoenix to be around because he was a popular character, so they ended up with even larger and less developed cast.
Overall I think the best games are the first one, Trials and Tribulations, Investigations 2 and Spirit of Justice. Every game has at least a couple decent cases, so people who are starving for whodunnits usually find them worthwhile to some extend.

Kaethar

Educated
The devs got into this weird limbo with Apollo Justice. It was supposed to be a complete revamp with new characters, but the suits demanded Phoenix to be around because he was a popular character, so they ended up with even larger and less developed cast.
Overall I think the best games are the first one, Trials and Tribulations, Investigations 2 and Spirit of Justice. Every game has at least a couple decent cases, so people who are starving for whodunnits usually find them worthwhile to some extend.
How's the translation of Investigations 2?

Exhuminator

Arcane
Besides Hotel Dusk I liked Another Code/Trace Memory a lot too. RIP indeed. :negative:

If for some reason you haven't played this sequel:

105530-front.jpg

I can assure you it's worth your time. One of the best hidden gems on Wii.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

How's the translation of Investigations 2?
There is a fan translation which is about as good as the official ones.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Anybody else playing Dai Gyakuten Saiban? I'm playing it on Citra right now but can't get the game to run more than 60% speed whenever any of the character's 3D models are on screen, which is like 90% of the time. The game runs fine otherwise. I don't know if this problem was around for the Dual Destinies and Spirits of Justice since I played those on the 3DS.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
I played Spirit of Justice and DGS back to back on Citra. Other than slowdowns during cutscenes Spirit of Justice ran fine, but DGS had similar fps issues on top of having audio slowed down just as much. My CPU is getting old and I didn't bother looking up any tweaks, so I can't really pinpoint the issue.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished 1 & 2.

The first one was great. I loved how the main story was interconnected with the cases.

In the second the main story felt like it was pinned down onto cases throwing some bits here and there. Some stuff in cases was questionable.

I try Stygian. If it feels too unpolished right now, I'll finish the AA trilogy.

deuxhero

Arcane
StaticSpine
The second game is universally considered the weakest game in the series, with the last case being the best part by far, and the 4th being the only remote competition for worst.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished the Trilogy. Got tired by the end of the second one but still managed.

I almost completely agree with this ranking, though for me T&T was more like 6/10 on this scale:
The first game (Ace Attorney) really is excellent. 9/10

The second game (Justice for All) triples down on the goofy and shits up the writing. 5/10

The third game (Trials & Tribulations) is mostly decent, but is too overwritten, and still overly goofy. 7/10

Tigranes

Arcane
Basically my experience. I actually wouldn't play the trilogy all at once, it's just way too much and overstays its welcome. The first game is very nice, but all the anime really starts to grate as you get further, especially the HIIIIIII-- WACKY characters that repeat their tics every sentence.

Exhuminator

Arcane
the HIIIIIII-- WACKY characters that repeat their tics every sentence
What aggravated the piss outta me was having one of the Fey sisters, Maya or Pearl, constantly remark on everything Phoenix inspects. I mean for example when you click on an object during an investigation section, and Phoenix says something about it - then without fail either Maya (or Pearl depending on the game) would also add their quip. Every. Single. Time. It just got so old, so quick, and made investigating much more of a drag than it should have been.

I've only beaten the first three AA games, though I own all the rest that came to the west. I really should play another one, just to see if things improve at all. This is one of the most overrated series I've ever seen by dipshits though. It's hard to parse the actual merit of any given series entry from afar, because of how overly-adoring dimwitted fuckwits have filled the internet with Pollyanna reviews.

I will say though, that yes Ghost Trick is absolutely great. Like AA1, Shu Takumi had his head in the right place with it.

Gastrick

Cipher
I played the first AA on ds and got bored and dropped it after the first trial. Story is unreadably bad which is typical for the visual novel genre. Several dozen minutes pass with nothing of any substance said. When it finally does get to the story it ends up being shit anyway. Gameplay is barebones enough where it can't really be called gameplay. It still finds a way to be annoying as well. Visual novels are the gayer brother of David Cage movie games. I'd rate AA 2/10.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's fun during the trials but ass during the investigations. Unfortunately you spend way more time investigating than in the court room.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
First trial is always the tutorial which tends to be the most boring one since they usually have a sole eyewitness who is also the culprit. Only exception being Apollo Justice that has a twist to it. And yeah what Talby said about the court vs investigation holds true, it's the worst when it boils down to pixel hunting or presenting half the court record to a character to get the trigger.

Maximilian

First trial is always the tutorial which tends to be the most boring one since they usually have a sole eyewitness who is also the culprit. Only exception being Apollo Justice that has a twist to it. And yeah what Talby said about the court vs investigation holds true, it's the worst when it boils down to pixel hunting or presenting half the court record to a character to get the trigger.
I'd say the first trial of The Great Ace Attorney is one of the better cases in the game, and leagues ahead of all mainline 3DS trials, quality-wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom