Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review ActionTrip praises The Witcher - 91%

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.actiontrip.com>ActionTrip</a> has posted a very positive <a href=http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/thewitcher.phtml>review</a> of <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/>The Witcher</a>, giving it 91/100:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Though not quite perfect, The Witcher is a diamond in the rough. It pains me to see that this one isn't getting even more attention from the press or even better scores. The only reason I can see is that the reviewers themselves are going with the flow so to speak. In this day and age of shallow and heavily compromised games that are after cheap thrills backed up by ridiculous sums of money spent on pretentious marketing campaigns, The Witcher truly stands out. This was a labor of love, one that PC gamers have to acknowledge and reward. We want more games like this.
<br>
<br>
Hell, don't know about you, but I certainly do.</blockquote>Amen, brother. It's good to see that some sites are starting to speak against the sad state of the gaming industry and media.
<br>
<br>
<br>
By the way, The Witcher books are finally coming to the English-speaking world. <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Last-Wish-Andrzej-Sapkowski/dp/0316029181/ref=sr_1_8/105-1484623-2450012?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194454909&sr=8-8>Here is a link for you</a>, courtesy of Ausir.
<br>
<br>

Ausir

Arcane
Actually, they came to the English-speaking world some time ago. The first book was published in the UK this year, but now it's going to be published in the US as well.

Ausir

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
The same book or a different one?

Same one - first part of the series. The translation isn't very good, though, although it's not entirely awful either, from what I've heard.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
They gave Oblivion a 94 - the Oblivion test failed, opinion invalidated.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
@ Kingston: Nope. Too much stuff to deal with: busy period at work, moving to a new house, several interviews for the Codex, and that AoD video that should be out this week.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Same one - first part of the series. The translation isn't very good, though, although it's not entirely awful either, from what I've heard.

Which one? The only one I know which was translated in English is "The Last Wish", but I thought that was a compilation of short stories and not an integral part of the series. Am I wrong? From wikipedia, "Blood of the Elves" is the first novel of those series but I don't think it's out yet.

Since you're polish and seem to know about the Witcher - what can an outsider expect about them? Why is the Witcher so famous in Poland? Actually, what is the extent of that popularity? Are they supposed to be serious books, what kind of people read this? I mean, the fact that it's popular is because it's good or it's just that, popular? I haven't read fantasy since I was a kid and I don't read that much novels either. I really like the game so far though and I thought if they're good as they say I'll give it a try. Is it worth it?

Deleted member 7219

It is quite frankly a disgrace that The Witcher hasn't been getting 9+ ratings across the board. Or at the very least, 8's.

Ausir

Arcane
Serious_Business said:
Which one? The only one I know which was translated in English is "The Last Wish", but I thought that was a compilation of short stories and not an integral part of the series. Am I wrong? From wikipedia, "Blood of the Elves" is the first novel of those series but I don't think it's out yet.

Since you're polish and seem to know about the Witcher - what can an outsider expect about them? Why is the Witcher so famous in Poland? Actually, what is the extent of that popularity? Are they supposed to be serious books, what kind of people read this? I mean, the fact that it's popular is because it's good or it's just that, popular? I haven't read fantasy since I was a kid and I don't read that much novels either. I really like the game so far though and I thought if they're good as they say I'll give it a try. Is it worth it?

Yes, it's The Last Wish. The two short story collections are also an integral part of the series, set and written before the novels. While some of the stories aren't connected to the main storyline of the novels, at least half of them are.

The books are serious, even though they don't lack humor, but they're not like Discworld or anything like that. I guess they're comparable to George R. R. Martin's books. They're popular because they're good and it's definitely worth it.

Jora

Arcane
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?s= ... &p=1068719

That's when [next September] Gollancz are going to publish it. I meant to ask Simon Spanton (Gollancz head honcho) about what's going on with Sword of Destiny as I think I misunderstood what he said in an earlier email. I thought he said that Sword of Destiny would be published before Blood of the Elves if Last Wish was successful, but I actually think he meant that the novels will be published regardless (perhaps on the basis that novels sell, short story collections like The Last Wish are a bit less of a sure thing) and Sword of Destiny will follow them if Last Wish was a success.
So basically

Short story anthologies:
Sword of Destiny (may or may not be published)
The Last Wish (released)
Something Ends, Something Begins (same as SoD)

Novels:
Blood of the Elves (first in the series, publishing date September next year)
Time of Disdain
Baptism of Fire
The Swallow's Tower
Lady of the Lake

Ausir

Arcane
Jora said:
So basically

Short story anthologies:
Sword of Destiny (may or may not be published)
The Last Wish (released)
Something Ends, Something Begins (same as SoD)

Novels:
Blood of the Elves (first in the series, publishing date September next year)
Time of Disdain
Baptism of Fire
The Swallow's Tower
Lady of the Lake

Yup. Although "Sword of Destiny" is actually set after "The Last Wish", not before. And "Something Ends, Something Begins" has only 2 short stories related to the Witcher series (one is a prequel about Geralt's parents, and the other a humorous, non-canon "alternate ending" to the whole series, featuring the wedding of Geralt and Yennefer, written as a wedding gift for Sapkowski's friends).

Texas Red

Whiner
don_tomaso said:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/witcher

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... s4oblivion

It´s funny, for "oblivion" the userrating is quite low while the review-rating is skyhigh, and for "the witcher" it´s the other way around..

Probably too early to metacritic "the witcher", too few reviews out there, but it´s funny anyway

Wow, user rating 7.7! That site has some people with sense it would seem. How are the forums there? No retarded discussion focusing on which is the better console and shit like that?

Bah

Arcane
Personally, I think the average score the game has been getting to be just about right. However, the reasons for getting said score are usually idiotic. Other games that get higher ratings than The Witcher are also due to idiotic reasons.

But that doesn't mean the witcher's average score is incorrect. The game has a lot of flaws and minor annoyances. Some of these stem from use of the Aurora engine and some from the combat system which is relatively boring. Others stem from the fact that the game is fairly linear. There are decision points where things turn out differently in the future based on the decision you made, but the decision points are for the most part fairly obvious. I haven't yet finished the game and gone back to try making different decisions, but the impression I'm getting is that the decisions really aren't that big of a deal and don't have that large of an impact. I hope I'm wrong.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Opinions are personal. Unless the same reviewer wrote both reviews there is nothing wrong with the score he gave The Witcher.

And The Codex is completely open to differing opinions, as long as they are backed up sufficiently and fully presented.

Chefe

Erudite
You think you're cool using words like "hivemind", but you're not. You're an idiot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom