Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Admit it: You are going to buy Fallout 4.

Select one once you've come to peace with the truth

• Day 1 pip-boy edition preorder

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Collector's edition

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Fine I admit you're right but just the regular edition

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Grudgingly buy it after release

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Borrow from swedish unlicensed maritime tax collectors

Votes: 73 19.7%
  • I WON'T DO IT I TELL YOU!!!/in denial/kingcomrade

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • OP is a faggot

Votes: 197 53.1%

• Total voters

Lhynn

Arcane
Dont be stupid mech, the problem with mods is that they are glitchy and can break your game, unless they have some sort of strict quality control you simply cannot put that for sale. Plus what happens if you buy two mods that at first glance would work well but in the end are incompatible.
Its not about it being a headache, its about making money from something that should be a learning experience or a hobby at most. Monetize this shit and you transform the community.

Paid mods are fine if they are of high quality and adequate content for the price. Some mods are basically full time jobs because of how complex they are, and it is fair that if the author(s) feel they can sell it, they should be able to. The problem is that people are retards and simply steal everyone's work and try to sell it, or try selling complete shit. For the 1 mod out of 10,000 that is worthy to be sold, it is simply too much of a headache to deal with.

I can understand telling the modders not to just post up their old work, but then giving them only a few months to create brand new, quality content? Craziness.

If it had included quest packs or new factions like Hunting in Skyrim or Moonpath to Elsweyr there's no doubt it could have done well. But sword packs and shit bring up memories of Horse Armor.

Frozen

Arcane
if nothing else you'd feel too left out in all the epic bashing threads to come

If there was some program that would auto patch all the mods 1 y after release then I would pirate it, hike for 2h and uninstall because I don't give a shit about Boston area sightseeing.

pippin

The unified mods can be very risky. After all, most modders are just fans who work on their own schedule, and probably just mod FO or TES because it's fun as a thing to do on a Sunday afternoon. Imagine a mod being broken and having millions of people sending you death threats because a save got corrupted because of YOU. Even if you're as dedicated as, say, Wesp, there's so much you can take.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The unified mods can be very risky. After all, most modders are just fans who work on their own schedule, and probably just mod FO or TES because it's fun as a thing to do on a Sunday afternoon. Imagine a mod being broken and having millions of people sending you death threats because a save got corrupted because of YOU. Even if you're as dedicated as, say, Wesp, there's so much you can take.
Apparently, Bethesda is working on a way to backup your save files before you even load the mod.

Lhynn

Arcane
That wont help if it breaks something you find 30 hours into the game. Like making some maps impossible to load.

MapMan

Arcane
I will probably download it out of curiosity, play for 15 minutes and uninstall. Exactly like I did with Fallout 3. Bleh.

lurker3000

Arcane
I'm noty going to read this whole thread but is it true they eliminated skills?

They merged skills and perks. Which I find strange because if you wanted to merge something, it would make more sense to merge attributes and perks, since you build the former to qualify for the latter, and skills benefit from investments in both.

Doubt they'll try it again any time soon. Mods are a large part of modern TES and FO games staying in the limelight as long as they do. Within a couple days of paid mods becoming a thing the whole modding community descended into multiple groups of gibbering apes throwing feces at each other. Valve silently packed up their stuff, waved a goodbye to Zenimax and then got the fuck out as quickly as they could.
Yeah, but try telling that to the suits who only see a big potential for monetization they're not being allowed to explore. That's like telling a fat kid that he isn't allowed to eat the fruits on the table, because they're only there to look nice and make people want to sit on it. All he'll hear is FRUITS EAT NICE WANT and wait for you to leave the room for a minute before trying again.

Apparently, Bethesda is working on a way to backup your save files before you even load the mod.

It's called CTRL+C, CTRL+V

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It's called CTRL+C, CTRL+V

What, you mean you have to use your hands???

thumbnail_2_e1ef5a43_v2.jpg

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They merged skills and perks. Which I find strange because if you wanted to merge something, it would make more sense to merge attributes and perks, since you build the former to qualify for the latter, and skills benefit from investments in both.
streamlining is all about making the game more accessible to their core audience. in this case that meant catering to people who are uncomfortable with two-digit numbers.

besides, this way they don't have to bother with putting in boring skill checks or fixing skill spam issues anymore and can focus on the core fps gameplay.

Lorenzen

Augur
Yer a faggot, OP.

Did not play F3 'cause it was shit, got New Vegas as a present, finished it, but unfortunately when the foundation upon which you build is shit, then your work must be shitty too, did not bother with the DLCs. I also didn't play Oblivion nor Skyrim so there's no reason for me to be interested in F4 or any of Bethesda's games except for the masochistic pleasure of watching a train-wreck in motion. Not gonna buy it, not gonna YAAARRR it, not even gonna play it.

Probably gonna read the LP if it's funny, though.

Mech

Cipher
Yer a faggot, OP.

Did not play F3 'cause it was shit, got New Vegas as a present, finished it, but unfortunately when the foundation upon which you build is shit, then your work must be shitty too, did not bother with the DLCs. I also didn't play Oblivion nor Skyrim so there's no reason for me to be interested in F4 or any of Bethesda's games except for the masochistic pleasure of watching a train-wreck in motion. Not gonna buy it, not gonna YAAARRR it, not even gonna play it.

Probably gonna read the LP if it's funny, though.
The New Vegas DLC were actually the best parts, so good job on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom