Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Advices for first Temple+ Run

Jason Liang

Arcane
Monks!

How do i build a viable monk? I do understand that they are dependant on multiple stats.

Is it viable to make a halfling str10 dex20 and weapon finese? Or should i max both str and dex to ever deal any damage?

Druids!

How do i build a viable/fun druid?

Since Druids get spontaneus summoning should i go conjuration ->improved summons?

Are wildshapes good from start to finish? To my understanding Temple+ added high level elemental shapeshift options.

Can i focus on both shapeshifting and summoning? (natural casting, conjuration, imp. summoning)?

Druids are great! You get a lot of shapes to work with (like Giant Snake), lots of different animal companions, buffs, healing, summons. However you pick up an NPC druid pretty easily (Melany). Also you can permanently Dominate Jeroo for another Druid, if you wish.

Wened

Educated
Is everything that gets released fully working? Are prestige classes fully implemented and not bugged?

Is Paladin 2/Favored Soul X a good idea?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is everything that gets released fully working? Are prestige classes fully implemented and not bugged?
As far as I know they work as intended (except maybe some issue when you use items to boost spellcasting stats temporarily or sthg like that reported in the suppprt thread).
They're fully working and implemented except what's noted in the wiki help as Not Implemented (like Blackguard converting Paladin levels).

Wened

Educated
1. Are Fragarach and that other one totally safe to use now?

2. If i play 5 man party what level would i be when i finish? (co8 included, no grinding). Will i get much higher using 4 ppl?

3. Fun cleric domains? Im using lax crafting rules so i do not care about domains from the point of crafting. But what are the domains with the most fun spells? I like the idea of a cleric that can cast offensive mage spells :) (ice cone in water domain, lightning bolt in destruction). Is it good idea or should i take defense spells instead? (invisiblity, barkskin)?
Picking domains was always a problem for me because there are so many fun options.
Also, most of domain powers (like "Feat of strenght") are one use tricks. Are any of them more impactfull than others?

Last edited:

Vecho

Literate
1: Conjuration hold all the nasty crippling stuff (web, grease, glitterdust, stinking cloud, cloudkill) that can end an encounter in one spell and qualifys for Augment Summoning
As for Metamagic, Quicken is good at latter levels to pair with True Strike or (as a battle Cleric) Divine Favor

2: There's no real support for caster clerics in ToEE, so a Wizard/Sorc will always be better if you're making a caster. Battle Cleric has far better support and options
For Cleric you'll want the good domain so you can make Holy weapons.

3: No. Sneak Attack is always finky to work with and will be out-damaged by a good fighter. The most fun option is likely Rogue 3/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster or Assassin, which can semi-reliably start Sneak Attack with in-class invisibility.

Trying to focus on slings or a small weapon attacker is a recipe for failure.

4: I remember there were a bunch of doors and chests with no key in the original game and a rogue is mandatory if you don't want to miss a bunch of treasure latter on.

5: No. I'm not sure how ToEE handles Druid/Monk multiclasses, but if it does favorably that's the only way to make them viable

6: I'd go with 1 Wizard focused on crafting, utility and versatility and 1 sorcerer focused on raw blasting and shutdown or 1 pure wizard and 1 eldritch knight/1 arcane trickster before 2 pure wizards.

My party last play was Rogue 3/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster, Paladin 2/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight, pure wizard, pure battle cleric (should be CG for a special item latter on, though if you have Elmo and aren't exploting you don't need to bother), Fighter 4/Ranger X archer, and Elmo with an NPC sorcerer added late. 3 of these were things I've never used before (Archer and prestige classes) but it worked pretty well. Wouldn't take both caster hybrids at once though (way too back ended, you're only OK at either for 8 levels) and would make the Rogue an Assassin instead now that lax rules are in.

3: No. Sneak Attack is always finky to work with and will be out-damaged by a good fighter. The most fun option is likely Rogue 3/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster or Assassin, which can semi-reliably start Sneak Attack with in-class invisibility.

Personally, I found out that the Sneak Attack of rogue was quite powerful when dual wielding although no as powerful as an enlarged two-handed fighter. With the help of wizard’s glitter dust and grease, sneak attack is not so hard to come by. Don’t forget flank can trigger sneak attack too.
If you want the invisibility ability, I would recommend an invisibility scroll scribed by wizard. I fail to see the usefulness of arcane trickster, since all buffing spell could be scribed by the wizard in your party. And I don’t believe you would use an arcane trickster to damage and de-buff enemies by spell, due to the low INT modifies.
----------------------------------------------------------------
My party last play was Rogue 3/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster, Paladin 2/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight, pure wizard, pure battle cleric (should be CG for a special item latter on, though if you have Elmo and aren't exploting you don't need to bother), Fighter 4/Ranger X archer, and Elmo with an NPC sorcerer added late.

Paladin 2/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight
This build is quite interesting and comes near the Kensai/Wizard in BG II.
The thing is that buffing spells, such as stone skin and spirit armor is nerf or deleted in 3.5. And buffing spells can always come from scrolls scribed by wizards in your party, which feature is unavailable in BG II. There is no need to sacrifice BAB for buff spell.
In BG II, you need only a belt to increase your strength to be on par with a fighter. In DND 3.5, an Eldritch Knight would struggle between STR and INT. I notice that you use a sorcerer and paladin combination. Then you character would struggle between STR and CHA. Smite Evil and Divine Might are daily based abilities, which means if you relies on CHA mainly, then your character would have limited number of use as an melee fighter.

Fighter 4/Ranger X archer
What about Arcane Archer? I have very good experience with AA build in nwn, since the damage and attack bonus from the enchant arrow ability of AA stacks with the enchantment of arrow itself. This leads to a very deadly damage output. I don’t know it this is still the case in TOEE. I believe bonus from AA don’t stack with bonus from arrow in nwn 2, which is why people don’t play AA in nwn2.

Optimally get your main melee fighter 13 intelligence then Improved Trip, as Trip is pretty useful in ToEE, especially with T+ letting you do it on AoEs.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Didn't try a "good" fighter as my troll don't level much but sneak attacks are extremely powerful, specially with the craven feat and with summons, flanking isn't a problem (or you just run behind with the monk or just sneak him or the rogue before the battle)
In comparison, my monk is nice but mostly for his survivability (max dex, tatoo +2 AC and everything that boosts AC and dex ) as his damage isn't very good (except when he crits)

Flanking an enemy with a rogue, on the other hand, means he's not going to survive long.

By the way, isn't the monk supposed to get a WIS based AC boost ?
I don't think it works.

Al-hazred

Barely Literate
3. Fun cleric domains? Im using lax crafting rules so i do not care about domains from the point of crafting. But what are the domains with the most fun spells? I like the idea of a cleric that can cast offensive mage spells :) (ice cone in water domain, lightning bolt in destruction). Is it good idea or should i take defense spells instead? (invisiblity, barkskin)?
Picking domains was always a problem for me because there are so many fun options.
Also, most of domain powers (like "Feat of strenght") are one use tricks. Are any of them more impactfull than others

Personally I'm fond of Travel domain, it gives Freedom of Movement (1 round/cleric lvl) that activates whenever your cleric is affected by movement impeding effects (webs, paralysis, grapple, ...). A game changer at lower levels in my opinion (damned spiders and frogs). May become obsolete latter on, when you got rings of Freedom though. Nice domain spells (Haste and Dimension Door!).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom