Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Aeon of Sands - The Trail Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Aeon of Sands - The Trail; Two Bits Kid

Today's second release is Two Bits Kid's Aeon of Sands - The Trail. It's a surreal, story-driven dungeon crawler with CYOA elements and a comic book aesthetic, which has apparently been in development for six years. Pretty wild stuff. This is the sort of game the Codex should have paid more attention to, and probably would have if it wasn't a blobber (and a real-time one at that). It's not too late to make amends, though. Zed posted the release trailer back in October, so I'll just quote the game's description here:

Aeon of Sands – The Trail is a retro low fantasy RPG set in a post-apocalyptic world, with first person, grid-based exploration, puzzles, real-time combat, and a fully illustrated, non-linear, choose your story adventure.

The game follows the misadventures of a likeable slacker, who is suddenly thrown out of his cozy home into a terrible, infinite desert that seems to hate him.

Accompany the vain, nap-loving clerk Setrani through his first major adventure.
    Guide him on his travels through a dangerous land, ravaged by the weather and by tribal conflicts. Struggle with him as the desert, wickedly, sets trap after trap on his path.

The story is driven by multiple-choice dialogues, in which you are repeatedly confronted with new absurd situations.
    Based on your decisions, new areas can be explored while others become inaccessible, you meet new companions or make enemies of them.

It's basically Choose Your Own Adventure featuring Dungeon Crawling!

Press

“One of the most brilliant pieces of design I’ve seen in forever“ Rock, Paper, Shotgun
    • Choose your path, or stumble around blindly! Let nonlinearity be your pal!
    • Replay it! Do it differently all over, and still manage to sabotage civilisation!
    • Travel the large desert like there's no tomorrow!
    • Play with magic, which is most often as dangerous to you as to others!
    • Face multiple endings, and more often, your own!
    • Real-time combat
    • 20 locations and more than 60 mazes and dungeons to explore
    • More than 140 dialogues
    • Completely hand drawn 2.5D environment, 240 hand-drawn illustrations
    • Up to 2 other characters can join your party during play
    • Each character’s personality influences the outcome of the story, and opens up new paths
    You can grab Aeon of Sands on Steam for $20, with a 10% launch discount until next week. I'd like to hear some impressions - this game could be like the Disco Elysium of blobbers.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • decline decline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    It's never too late. But do we want to?

^ Top  
  3. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Blobber- can't find single screenshot with the character UI. Does it have any stats, abilities, character customization?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    From what I can see, the game doesn't have one. Clicking on your character's pic opens an inventory that allows you to put equipment on him, but only that. There doesn't seem to be a specific screen with character statistics, I'm not even sure if there are levels in the game. Some items have descriptions like "+2 STR" or "-20 Mana" but there doesn't seem to be a screen that shows your current values, which is at the very least strange.

The first 30 mins:

(But a real-time blobber is a pass for me anyways.)

• nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Agame Learned

Agame
    Real time is a damn shame, but it has that Ishar 'janky-wierd-atmospheric' vibe so I am pretty excited about it!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Skdursh Educated

Skdursh
    You don't like Might and Magic 6-8?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    I'll be waiting for the linux version.
    Too bad this is real-time, but it just looks too damn good not to play eventually.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Slimu Scholar Patron

Slimu
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I bought the game, but only on Friday I can play it and return with some impressions.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ManaJunkie Literate

ManaJunkie
    Stats are there:

17 min 20 sec

• incline incline x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. vorvek Savant Patron

vorvek
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Played it a bit last night. There are 3 main stats (strength, dexterity? and magic?, don't remember the names) governing 3 point pools (hp, stamina, mana) and 3 main skills (sovereignty, accuracy and concentration) with a 4th skill called focus that seems to be related to some specific forms of magic. Weapons break, or at least, the rusty shanks you find in the first dungeon break. Enemy AI is a bit weird, and a lot of times they'll move a bit erratically past you instead of trying to attack.

There's a bit of choose your own adventure like fluff, but at least, during the intro, doesn't really allow you to choose anything other than "yeah, let's go". You can get barely a bit of extra fluff, but the setting is not too detailed, and the game jokes about it calling two cities that get names during the first conversation "plot devices" when asking for more info on them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. V_K Arcane

V_K
    There are some more immediately obvious choices later on, and some of the minor stuff you do at the marketplace has consequences down the line. I think this aspect of the game shapes up to be quite deep.
    This one only applies to one specific NPC functioning on a completely different magic system.

• nice nice x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Skdursh Educated

Skdursh
    Nice. Now I'm buying it.

^ Top  
  13. frajaq Learned

frajaq
    big yikes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. luj1 Cipher

luj1
    Stylish game. I would play it for its visual identity alone.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So, is it shit?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Iron Balls McGinty Literate

Iron Balls McGinty
    I bought it.
    Real time aside, and that was a tough one.

No time to play yet though.

^ Top  
  17. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    Steam-only. Meh.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Shitposter

Chaotic_Heretic
    I was so excited looking at this. But its Real time, so fuck it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. toro Arcane

toro
    No streams on Twitch. Sign of quality game.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Epsilon Cipher

Epsilon
    Just bought it and played through the tutorial area, kinda reminds me of Amberstar on the Amiga. But this basement is a fair bit larger! I'm really enjoying the atmosphere and the graphics. Didn't really about breaking the fourth wall during the introduction, it's generally not a good way to immerse the player. Maybe in Monkey Island where you're controlling Guybrush, but not in an RPG. Personal preference of course :)
    So far, money well spent

It should also be noted that I'm playing it on Linux through proton/steam. It can crash on area transition. Thats just because of proton, the native version doesn't do it. Hit F5 for quicksave before going down/up stairs.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Agame Learned

Agame
    Yea the humor bothers me, I dont mind a bit eg. Fallout/Wasteland, but I am sick and tired of all the Indie "4th wall breaking, I am so meta" bullshit.

How bad is it in this?

^ Top  
  22. baud Learned

baud

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    [​IMG]

No wonder John Walker likes it.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ceics Novice Patron

ceics
    For fuck's sake. Love some of the atmosphere oozing from the screenshots. Does it at least allow pause to issue orders?

How are you supposed to issue commands to all party members in real time, ffs? You click at the screen and they all fire what they have equipped?

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Tramboi Cipher

Tramboi
    You need to experience some Dungeon Master goodness !

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)