Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout After a long time, I've finally finished Fallout 2. Guess what, it's shit!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hah, fooled you! It is not shit.

Anyway, finishing this game took a long time, I've started my first playthrough at least 7 or 8 months ago. But, yesterday I've finally finished it, so I can die in peace now.

As for the game, let's see. Remember this thread?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/so-fallout-1-im-raging-so-hard-now.83405/

Well almost everything I wrote there still applies. So yes, the character system is still great, the C&C is amazing. The writing is pretty good, and the atmosphere is superb.

But you know what? The combat still sucks, and it was even worse this time. Because in Fallout 1 I rolled a talkie character and tried to avoid most of the combat. But this time I played as a badass fighter, and had a lot of fights. Also had 3 more party members with me. And god that tedious combat, the cumbersume GUI, and worst of all, the terrrible AI were trying my patience. I don't care what everybody says, but if a game has tactical combat, where every move and every action point counts, and you have a party, then it is mandatory to have a full controllable party. I cannot count how many fights I had to reload because the braindead AI fucked up. I gave you a fucking minigun for a reason asshole, so please don't start hitting the enemies with your fist. Fallout 1 has this AI driven combat, and the combat is shit. Fallout 2, detto. Age of Decadence, shit combat. Even the first Neverwinter Nights did this crap. Fuck ..... you! If you have a party, you let me control that fucking party, OK? Or make a single character RPG.

And of course you can't manage the inventories in a simple way either. No, first you have to talk to the charcter, then choose trade, than add the items one by one, and then click the barter button, then hit close. So in the end I used an unlimited weight cheat and hoarded everything by my character.

Also, the game was a bit too long for its own good. Maybe it is just me, but the last couple of hours started to feel like filler.

Overall, the game is a good cRPG, deservedly praised, but the limited combat system and party management drags it down and I don't think I want to play it again.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was ready to rage at the title, you got me good. Then I read the rest, and I'm inclined to rage just a little bit after all.
Or make a single character RPG.
Agree with this paragraph, but why on earth did you go fighter with companions? The first game should have indicated that this was going to be shit if you are annoyed by the stuff you mention.
So in the end I used an unlimited weight cheat and hoarded everything by my character.
Car trunk? The only bartering you need to do with companions is to give them ammo every once in a while.

Egosphere

Arcane
Hah, fooled you! It is not shit.

24934.jpg

Syme

Arbiter
IMHO the combat is bare-bones but still fun. The variety of weapons, the called shots, and the gory death animations and critical hits descriptions provided an endless amount of amusement for me back in the day.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Was ready to rage at the title, you got me good. Then I read the rest, and I'm inclined to rage just a little bit after all.
Or make a single character RPG.
Agree with this paragraph, but why on earth did you go fighter with companions? The first game should have indicated that this was going to be shit if you are annoyed by the stuff you mention.
I just wanted to roleplay a different character this time, that's all.
So in the end I used an unlimited weight cheat and hoarded everything by my character.
Car trunk? The only bartering you need to do with companions is to give them ammo every once in a while.
Yes the car trunk could be an option. I just cut out the tedium of picking shit up and putting it in the car, than getting out everytime I'm looking for something with this cheat.

IMHO the combat is bare-bones but still fun. The variety of weapons, the called shots, and the gory death animations and critical hits descriptions provided an endless amount of amusement for me back in the day.
I don't deny that that part is really fun.

Trashos

Arcane
Yeah, I don't think that anyone will defend FO2's combat for serious. It's OK, and the animations of course rock, but that's all. The companion tactical idiocy is just an experience we all share.

Narrative and atmosphere not as coherent as in FO1. The skill system was improved in New Vegas. Combat and build design were improved in Underrail. Still, FO2 is the RPG I have replayed the most. I just don't seem to be able to get bored of it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who said combat was hard? Anyway I will defend Fallout combat, for the death animations alone.
Yes the car trunk could be an option. I just cut out the tedium of picking shit up and putting it in the car, than getting out everytime I'm looking for something with this cheat.
Don't like to do stuff like that when there's a perk like Pack Rat available. You shouldn't ever pick Pack Rat of course, but the fact that carry weight capacity is intended to be a hurdle makes me reluctant to cheat it.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I thought the mouthbreather did another thread, but then I realized he only reads wiki instead of actually playing games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
What's hard about the combat? Just give Sulik a p90c, Cassidy your best shotgun, and enjoy your awesome killing power. Everything insta-dies when you get Sniper anyway
It was not hard, it was annoying. And some fights were actually harder than it would be with full party control, without the idiotic AI.

Okagron

Prophet
Do you rank it over Fallout 3 though?
Haven't played Fallout 3, but I doubt it is better than any of the old Fallouts.
It was actually a reference to the "Do People Still Rank Fallout 2 over Fallout 3?" idiotic thread a troll made some months ago (the troll is mfkdggrfll to be precise). And don't play Fallout 3, not worth it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You tried playing a game set in post apocalyptic world without any combat?
lmao
No worder you previous attempt sucked, post apo=combat, no exception. Unless nobody survived, that's it.

ok, reading skill fizzled for once
Though you played some kind of pacifist build with neglected or almost ignored combat skills

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
You tried playing a game set in post apocalyptic world without any combat?
lmao
No worder you previous attempt sucked, post apo=combat, no exception. Unless nobody survived, that's it.
Ummm what? Who said anything like that?

I just said that in Fallout 1 I rolled a diplomatic character because...wait for it....it is a great and viable way to play the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
but the limited combat system and party management drags it down and I don't think I want to play it again.

Meanwhile you like Alpha Protolol THIS MUCH.

Gigantic faggot as always.

The Obsiditurd-era gamers, horrible creatures, avoid them at all costs.
Different games, different genres. Fuck off.

And please, use the correct quote.
I don't just like Alpha Protocol THIS MUCH.
I love Alpha Protocol THIS MUCH!

Alkarl

Learned
Generally agree with most of the criticisms in the op, but the game is good. Inventory management is what you make it in most games, I don't find Fallout 2's system any worse off than others. Obvious gui issues and bugs aside, Fallout 2 is pretty good. I agree it'd be great if party ai was better, if combat was a bit less tedious when there are more than a handful of combatants on screen, etc.

Overall, I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. "I played a thing and didn't very much care for it." Alright, good for you.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
...and you have a party, then it is mandatory to have a full controllable party

I actually liked not having full control. The cNPC’s made goofs, but it was fun having to adapt to them and it felt kind of fitting since they weren’t ”my” characters. Someone like Vic being a fearless and tactically apt rifleman under my control would’ve felt... out of place.

laclongquan

Arcane
In a way, the actual tactical combat is to plan a firefight AROUND your companions. You consider the likely moves of your companions before your enemies, then you move accordingly.

If you dont want Sulik to wade into the melee with a crappy hammer instead, Collect all of his melee weapons and give him one pistol-animation gun, like P90C or something. Then change his AI options.

Not that I defend F2 combat much, just that you need an approriate point of view in this matter.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Meanwhile you like Alpha Protolol THIS MUCH.

Gigantic faggot as always.

The Obsiditurd-era gamers, horrible creatures, avoid them at all costs.

This.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom