Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence December Update

LiWe

Educated
Darling, i suggest applying some hemorrhoid balm for that raging hole i no doubt caused recently. It will work much better than posting illiterate drivel.
It would be a fantasy to think a nonconstructive post is helpful. Yet you still try because you are fantasizing.

hiver

Its not nonconstructive. You just misunderstood it that way because youre bloody stupid.
And this is where i stop talking to you because youre a raging moron, besides being rather lousy troll.

Just to be clear for other posters;
The post about AoD was a compliment.
The guys doing the testing are mostly good guys, doing difficult and worthy work. I know most of them anyway.
That some of them seek different things than me in RPGs is irrelevant as any kind of personal problem and known to me from long ago. Its not like those that have different expectations ever pretended otherwise, and it is written rather clearly anyway.

Every info is a good info. Info based on different expectations provides different vantage point.
And when put into more context as Vault Dweller provided for that rather nice situation of being obliterated by a group of heavy Imperial Guards, simply seems good to me.

If i was writing the report on that particular situation, it would be stellar.
I attack Imperial Guards in heavy armor with a knife and they slaughter us? Great!
Cant win even after twenty attempts? Fantastic!
Cant win group fights by slaughtering every enemy myself? A happy tear roles down the cheek.

LiWe

Educated
Someone doesn't have Prosper on ignore yet?
well lets find out.
WHCBb.gif

Du please message me if you consider new arts image sapmming. because i put a lot of work into this. but i also like your new forum. let me know where i can post it.

hiver

yeah, i figured its him after that second post. on ignore now.

Anyway, anyone have a problem with content in AoD being tied so thoroughly to skill checks instead to player decisions and player skills like in most modern... games?
Seems just fine to me.

Stinger

Arcane
I really like that skill checks have such a strong emphasis in the game, makes it really feel like my build actually has an impact on my ability to solve quests in different ways/make meaningful C&C. The first comment that mentions how one skill check will lead on to a new dialogue tree that'll require new set of skill checks slightly concerns me though. Does this mean that you have to have a specific set of skills for each quest or are there a large number of skill checks and combinations of these that I won't need to worry?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Jesus Christ how long has AoD been in development? Is it going to copy Duke Nukem Forever and stay in development for 14 years until it comes out and flops like a dead fish in Death Valley?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since 2004 and yes. Though the plan is to release the demo in November December January, then allow pre-orders and if the pre-order sales are high enough they all quit their jobs and work on it fulltime till release. Pipe dreams.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, I suppose it's not possible. They can get about 500 preorders, probably less. Charging 29$ per copy its almost 15.000$. It's 1-2 months for Vince, Oscar and Nick. Risk is too much, they won't quit their jobs. We will have to wait much longer than a year to see AoD complete.

DragoFireheart

Yeah, I suppose it's not possible. They can get about 500 preorders, probably less. Charging 29$ per copy its almost 15.000$. It's 1-2 months for Vince, Oscar and Nick. Risk is too much, they won't quit their jobs. We will have to wait much longer than a year to see AoD complete.

Fuck risk. If they feel it's worth taking they should totally do it and show up all these shitty RPG developers like Bethesda and Bioware (I like Bethesda games but lol at them being RPGs).

covr

Prophet
Patron
You can't make any game with an empty stomach. They are reasonable guys, they will finish it some day.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Fuck risk. If they feel it's worth taking they should totally do it and show up all these shitty RPG developers like Bethesda and Bioware (I like Bethesda games but lol at them being RPGs).

Making games in their spare time takes a long time, but they get to make exactly what they like.

hiver

I really like that skill checks have such a strong emphasis in the game, makes it really feel like my build actually has an impact on my ability to solve quests in different ways/make meaningful C&C. The first comment that mentions how one skill check will lead on to a new dialogue tree that'll require new set of skill checks slightly concerns me though. Does this mean that you have to have a specific set of skills for each quest or are there a large number of skill checks and combinations of these that I won't need to worry?
As far as i understand, the gameplay is designed for specific character builds, or types. So it probably counts on players choosing and advancing related corespondent skills for each type.
In other words, its probably better if you keep to the skills your chosen character type should have, instead of wildly mixing different ones and creating some sort of hybrid build.

Though i believe it is possible to find a different way through if you fail at some specific one.

For example if youre playing Loremaster but invest in combat skills too, youll probably fail in some point of Loremaster path, but you could go on in different direction with those combat skills.
Although you surely wont be able to win some tougher fights that easily after a while.
But thats just more or less my own assumption and i dont know exact details.

DragoFireheart

Making games in their spare time takes a long time, but they get to make exactly what they like.

If they have the financial means to take a risk, they should if they plan on doing something with the game other than just having it remain a Codex random DL.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I thank you for your thoughtful advice. Clearly, you're a very knowledgeable individual when it comes to posting shit on the internets, so I'll be wise to listen to you.

Bulva

Literate
Vince, honestly speaking there is a big flaw in your game:

No magic. Yes I know magic doesn't fit, but most rpg players like having magic/psi/etc, even fans of adult grimdark fantasy like GRRM's works. This will go against you. True, you can't have magic due to trying to be historically correct, but there are ways of making up for that by adding other special things like the following:

-Special Attacks. Jeff Vogel for instance added Battle Disciplines to his games, which are p. cool.
-Martial Arts. A couple of different martial arts styles with their own unique animations. It would have been a BIG draw for potential buyers.

As it is, you are fucked. I have nothing against your game succeeding by any means, but I am speaking from a business sense point of view. Your game will likely not sell all that well, even if you put it up on steam. When you take into account the number of years you worked on it, and the number of people you have to pay, I doubt you will even breakeven.

My suggestion to you is that after putting this game out, use the engine to quickly make an innovative fantasy rpg with magic, classes, and cool stuff like demons and demon summoming. It will sell BUCKETS.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vince, honestly speaking there is a big flaw in your game:

No magic. Yes I know magic doesn't fit, but most rpg players like having magic/psi/etc, even fans of adult grimdark fantasy like GRRM's works. This will go against you.
Fuck 'em?

True, you can't have magic due to trying to be historically correct...
I'm not.

As it is, you are fucked.
Is it too late to start over?

Your game will likely not sell all that well...
Quite possibly.

MCA
True, you can't have magic due to trying to be historically correct...

It's amazing how many people get this very simply fact so wrong like this, even including some older Codexers. Redding is teh hard and people are morons, I guess?

I don't know but perhaps you could have done better regarding publicity of AoD, VD? A LOT of people think it's a game with ancient Romans or something.

Though honestly, you "borrow" a little bit too much imagery from Romans, down to items and game lore. You even got shields that bear Roman scrutum motifs 1:1.

Bulva

Literate
Say Vince, I am sure you mentioned this before but I just want to confirm: Will there be party members in this game? If so, will you be able to control them in battle?

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's amazing how many people get this very simply fact so wrong like this, even including some older Codexers. Redding is teh hard and people are morons, I guess?
Sure looks like it.

Though honestly, you "borrow" a little bit too much imagery from Romans, down to items and game lore. You even got shields that bear Roman scrutum motifs 1:1.
What? Scrutum? I told Oscar to use the scrotum motif. Fuck, now we'll have to redo everything.

Say Vince, I am sure you mentioned this before but I just want to confirm: Will there be party members in this game? If so, will you be able to control them in battle?
No party members. Every now and then you'll be given allies, but you won't be able to control them. Non-player characters and all that.

hiver

With well planned, honest and straightforward marketing the game will do fine.

Wont hurt to throw in a few anti-modern mass market lulz in style of latest Serious Sam too.
Manly game... for real men! (kiddies can go play bioware of bethesda games - maybe) This game will kick your ass like no game before. Demon souls, Dark soul? pfft wusses! No bubble gum - all kickass... Yours!
- stuff like that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Simple solution: Steam release with TF2 hat bonus for preorders. You'll all be able to retire to Tahiti.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom