Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Demo Released

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah the dialog fonts are quite small even for a 17,3 inch screen at 1600x900.

Other than that, I love it.

MCA
My first impression, sadly unchanged from the combat demo:
PUT A "Press any key to continue" TO THE LOADING SCREEN. I WANT TO READ THE TEXT BUT WE AREN'T EXACTLY USING 486DX MACHINES ANY MORE; IT FLIES BY SO FAST DAMMIT!

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
where improvements are needed from a brief look:
- what villain said
- possibility to zoom in your char while in char creation
- some textures (like carpets) flicker when zoomed out
- text is difficult to read because of the semi translucent background of the dialogue box (an option to slide the alpha blending would be cool)
- when going upstairs in buildings the staircase will vanish and it's difficult to find the right spot to click for going downstairs
- when looting i have to select the amount of gold i wanna take. it would be more comfortable if the maximum amount of gold will be selected and transfered just with one click without giving my ok
- if you change the item category in the transfer menu all the selected items will be deselected. that's a bit annoying.

besides that it's a fuckin' great game! :thumbsup:

As others mentioned, the font is too small. I also don't like the camera controls setup, but I remember this was fixable in the combat demo by redefining manually. Everything else looks really good so far.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I just jizzed in my pants. Looks like I won't be sleeping much tonight.

1000 posts and I did it in less than 8 years. Awesome.

MCA
As usual with 3D games, camera is a bitch but it seems to have been improved since the combat demo.

Camera distance shouldn't reset after you enter and exit combat.
Camera also shouldn't reset every time you speak to key characters. It's very annoying. Perhaps there could be a toggle for that, even if in a .ini file.

A few suggestions that I think can improve camera usage greatly:

1. Add a toggle option to rotate the camera only in certain increments. 22,5º or 45º steps, for instance. Since the map layouts are still cardinally oriented and perpendicular (ie. square/rectangle layouts), this should fit in greatly. The toggle itself could be a .ini flag for all I care, as long as it exists.

2. A speed modifier for zooming and moving the camera is very much needed. Zooming in and out is a rather slow affair and I could use faster panning when I want it.

3. For heavens' sake, either let me adjust FOV so I can set it to a very narrow angle and zoom all the way in to get a near parallel-projection experience, or add a true parallel rendering mode! As usual, the perspective is sucking out what enjoyment I get out of the game, what with my line of sight with stuff getting obstructed due to roofs or other structures or trees and whatnot. Perspective is death!

Also, it's a very ugly sight when you're looking at a scene from above and seeing roofs dominate your view like someone swinging his finger in your face. It's just ugly. Do this. Perspective is death! (let's see those brofists, now, come on!)

Other than camera, I lament that you don't get a basic description when you hover your mouse over stuff, especially characters (that you have already met and talked to so your character knows who it is). I keep forgetting names and lack of mouse-over names or descriptions isn't helping.

This is probably a pet peeve of mine but when you first start the demo, I found it VERY annoying that you were forced into a series of dialogues that I feared would go on much longer than it did. I think it's a very good idea to let the player get a sense of controls, graphics and interface when the game begins, before any dialogue, even if he or she is locked in a room with a NPC. This is especially important for testing what little game options there are.

I love the map and being able to quickly jump between local places.

Music is very nice, if a bit too ambient. But I would also appreciate an option to toggle combat music on/off. Fallout didn't have this and it worked great.

MCA
More on the camera:

Have roofs/upper floors fade away / disappear whenever the line of sight to the PC is obstructed instead of only when the PC enters the trigger zone for this to happen.

oHBTh.png

It would work just so much better if we arrived at the third picture as soon as like 75% of the player model is obstructed (IIRC, there were functions in Torque to determine how much of any given model is visible to the camera), on top of trigger zones. You could even do so that only the objects immediately obstructing the target are made to fade/disappear.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Installed, rolled a Mercenary, died in my first combat. Definitely my kind of thing.

MCA
Yeah, my first reaction was "FUUUUUUUUUU THERE WAS NO INDICATION WHATSOEVER THAT HE'D SHOW YOU HIS GOODS AT HIS OWN PLACE FUCK THIS MASS EFFECT DIALOGUE SHIT" but then I thought about it... Commercium is serious business and you were just assigned to hand an assassination deal on a merchant simply because he was said to have tried working outside Commercium. And then you go around fooling with backstreet sellers and what, even if he were legit, were he expected to display his goods out in the open and get himself a ticket to the boat? LOL! I've never felt so :smug: for getting myself killed. Good job VD!

And I absolutely loved the death screen. I can see how this game will require you to be actually intelligent and will make you cry every time you behave stupid.

Anyway, more suggestions:

(1) I'd like a coloured square indicator on the ground where I point the mouse cursor so I will know whether I can actually walk there without clicking on it.

(2) It would be super duper if there was an option to display the pathfinding route to where you are pointing from where you are character is standing. Simple vectors would do.

(3) If the above could be done, it would be heavenly if it could work the following way:
1. When you click and hold the right mouse button, pathfinding route to the destination is shown but the move to the destination command isn't registered.​
2. The move to the destination command is registered when you release the mouse button.​
3. You can cancel out of registering command by pressing the left mouse button without releasing the right mouse button.​

Deleted member 7219

Immediate reaction: Not what I expected. Looks very good. Liked the settings. Character doll too dark to see in character creation. Loading screens have a ton of nice-looking lore in them, but it is impossible to read (loads too fast), perhaps a 'click to continue' would work well to fix this. Music very nice. Dialogue font could be a little bigger (I'm running at 1680x1050). Camera needs an overhaul, could do with a NWN/Dragon Age style 'drive camera' option. Also, character backgrounds need a little more explaining in character creation - how do they affect the game?

A controls menu would be welcome, or even just a quick key guide if you don't want people to mess around with the bindings.

Overall though I'm really interested in the game, it looks professionally done and I'd like to see it released through multiple channels including Steam. Will post more in depth analysis later, but for now, WELL DONE IRON TOWER. Really well done.

Notorious

Augur
Just started this up had no technical problems whatsoever so far. I have no problems with the font size but my eye sight is very good so....

Some impressions.

-Love the character creation I didn't see any 'useless' skills (Like performing or gambling)
-The graphics look better than expected, only the character models seem a little bit dull women look like transvestites... (Probably a Codex thing)
-I like the choose your own adventure style, really well implemented
-Conversations are very atmospherically written

The game delivers pretty much what I hoped for so far.

Deleted member 7219

Besides the text and the camera (which are my biggest issues with the game as it stands), everything looks great. Leaving the inn and just zooming out was astonishing. I had seen screenshots before of the game's art style but they simply do not do it justice. I've never played an indie game that looked this good. Of course it is shallow to just talk about how nice the graphics are, but those are just my first impressions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom