Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Demo Released

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Congratulations on this milestone, and on Thursday , no less. Will try it out one of the days.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I've finally beaten the first imperial legion fight. It took me about ten tries :lol: - well, in fact, I managed to kill the guards on the second or third, but then my colleagues raped me :mad:

edit

N20q8.jpg

female merchant is a tranny - AoD is truly nextgen, much more so than puny Ass Deffeckts.:codexisfor:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I must be fucking retarded or something, but how do I use skills like lockpicking? I feel like I've looked everywhere/tried every key. :/

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I must be fucking retarded or something, but how do I use skills like lockpicking? I feel like I've looked everywhere/tried every key. :/
There is no 'freestyle' looting. You use your lockpicking skills in quests.

The problem is, the font is not really comfortable to read even on lower resolutions if you have a corresponding screen size. It's really jarring on my large monitor at 1650x1050, but not much better at 1024x768 on my old-school box with a 17" screen.
Can you explain that, please? I play on 1024x768 and it seems to be fine, so what exactly do you mean? The font itself? What would you recommend?

Deleted member 7219

VD I'd say you should put a 'font size' slider in the graphics settings, that should keep everyone happy. Those fine with the way it is can just leave the slider set to default. People like myself who have to strain our eyes to read can just make the font bigger.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, my antivirus program went and removed AOD.exe and AOD_Public_Beta.exe and so I'm redownloading and reinstalling the demo now and made sure to exclude the installer and the folder I'm installing to from the antivirus. However, the setup program now skips over AOD.exe and AOD.dll during installation.

edit: Never mind, fixed it, the antivirus was being finicky. It's not the fault of the installer.

hiver

Doesn't work on my computer :lol: it shows a mouse pointer on a black screen and that's it.

EDIT: disabling Comodo Antivirus fixed it
Comodo Antivirus works fine and doesnt mess with the game. You probably need to turn off the Defense+ tool or tone it down since that is stopping a lot of stuff that isnt necessary to stop, especially since you have antivirus and firewall working regardless.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I've equipped the robe and turban and built my disguise skill up to 55 and still fail when trying to get into whateverthefuckthenameis. Isn't that a bit high of a skill requirement for a first town/beggining of game?

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ Twinkie:

If you mean the outpost, you need more info. The way disguise work in the game, it's not just pumping the skill and putting on something nice, as it's too simple and easy (as you can clearly see). In most cases you need to have in-game info. In this particular case though, getting this info is very easy.

Black

Arcane
VD I'd say you should put a 'font size' slider in the graphics settings, that should keep everyone happy. Those fine with the way it is can just leave the slider set to default. People like myself who have to strain our eyes to read can just make the font bigger.
Yes, the font is really a pain in the ass to read. I play in windowed 1440x900 and it really hurts what's left of my eyes.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
@ Twinkie:

If you mean the outpost, you need more info. The way disguise work in the game, it's not just pumping the skill and putting on something nice, as it's too simple and easy (as you can clearly see). In most cases you need to have in-game info. In this particular case though, getting this info is very easy.

Interesting. Can you explain the benefits then, of sinking points into "disguise"?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I've equipped the robe and turban and built my disguise skill up to 55 and still fail when trying to get into whateverthefuckthenameis. Isn't that a bit high of a skill requirement for a first town/beggining of game?
Seems they increased skill-checks and for further "balance" decreased the skill-point rewards. (and starting skill points). Can't say I like it.

madbringer

Arcane
:bro: for the Age of Decadence team.

First Wasteland 2, now this. I can feel small crevices opening in the granite shell around my weary, gamer heart.

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ Twinkie:

Interesting. Can you explain the benefits then, of sinking points into "disguise"?
Eh?

You need disguise AND in-game info.

@ Infinitron: 19 inch flat panel (not widescreen)

@ Ventilator: It was overkill before. Honest.

The problem is, the font is not really comfortable to read even on lower resolutions if you have a corresponding screen size. It's really jarring on my large monitor at 1650x1050, but not much better at 1024x768 on my old-school box with a 17" screen.
Can you explain that, please? I play on 1024x768 and it seems to be fine, so what exactly do you mean? The font itself? What would you recommend?
It's probably very subjective, but what I'm saying is that with a smaller monitor, the font feels slightly difficult to read even at 1024x768, due to a combination of its relatively small size, colour/semi-transparent background and the facetype itself (which I otherwise like). The strain gets more noticeable the more I read (unlike with the roughly same-sized font here on the Codex). By no means unbearable, but it takes some enjoyment out of the experience for a game where you basically want to sit back and enjoy the writing much of the time.

My suggestion is, if at all possible, let the user set it to whatever feels comfortable to them, or (if impossible due to UI layout or other issues) give them another option (regular/larger) to choose from. Personally, I'd blow the font up to about 150% of the current size, but other people might find that too much, etc.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
I took the loremaster and set skills to talk my way through the game. I replayed some scenes multiple times to see all outcomes. I must admit, it was fun. However, I didn't check what happens if player go idiot route and tries to klill everything or sth like that.
BTW, a save-editor or info about save fileformat would come in handy.
"Not enough memory; loading DOS into Upper Memory block"- that made my day. Or rather night (yeah, I know it's there since 2009 or so, but it's the first time I give a comment about AoD).

I played few hours on configuration: OS: Win7 32bit; mid-end PC with NV GTX 460; playing at 1280x1024 res, max GFX settings.
Game somehow abused my hardware and CPU or GFX cooling got noisy. Strange thing for a game that isn't Witcher2, with lowpoly models and so on.

I haven't encountered any tech problems while playing the game. The fonts were readable for me. Game run smoothly.

GFX is really good. I didn't noticed any texture issues, like blinking carpets/ tapestries sb has mentioned before.

Bugs I encountered:

- Some objects, like trees, seem to have some displacement while scrolling.
- Some of NPCs use default name of PC, instead the one I wrote.
- While doing n- th reload, the game crashed at loading screen with "Runtime error" window, traced to wrap_oal.dll.

hiver

Yes. Originally, he was marked to die as I thought that nobody would be able to save him, but some testers did and I had to write extra dialogues with him. So, it's hard but possible.
Cool stuff. I had a feeling it can be done as i felt close with my drifter but couldnt cut it completely. Other more focused build and different weapon will work fine i think.
Very nice continuation onward from that though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We'll try to fix the font problem asap. Didn't realize that most people use such high resolutions.
these stats should help you (bold is wide):
1920 x 1080 26.43%
1680 x 1050 17.70%
1280 x 1024 10.58%
1440 x 900 8.36%
1920 x 1200 8.19%
1366 x 768 6.57%
1600 x 900 4.83%
1280 x 800 4.27%
1024 x 768 4.26%
Other 8.81%
@

Now filter that to resolutions of Steam users who have VtM :B. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom