Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence interview on Rock Paper Shotgun

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
cardtrick said:
Locue said:
Great, interesting and funny (hey, can't help that) interview! The fight continues. :)

Question(s): VD is Canadian? In his thirties? Works for a well-respected Canadian company whose interests doesn't want him go using his real average working Joe name when working on indie rpgs?! Oh. My. God... Vince? Look, I'm... I'm sorry, man, I.. need to ask you something...

Vault Dweller? Are you BioWare? :wink:

The sad thing is, when I first stumbled across the indie RPG Interview, I thought "Wow, what are the chances that someone named Vince D. Weller would be a Fallout fan, and that he would actually notice that his initials look like V. Dweller, or Vault Dweller! That's so cool!" It took me a little while before I realized that must be a pseudonym.
Why, hello there. My name is Louis C. Ueli! ;)

Lurkar

Scholar
The interview was great, but dear lord, some of these comments are jaw-droppingly bad. This Chris R. fellow just has to be a troll, because my brain refuses to acknowledge that people like that can exist.

Amasius

Augur
Look who's talking in the comments thread: :shock:

Saint Proverbius said:
Dinger,

> In other words, “realism” is an illusion, but some
> illusions are more believable than others.

In real time combat in pretty much every game under the sun, you have two or more enemies standing in the middle of a battle to the death repeatedly smacking/shooting each other with swords. How is that any more believable than turn based? At least turn based allows the player or enemy the opportunity to attack and then seek cover.. You know, like believable reality.

Nedrah

Erudite
Quick, someone grab SP and drag him over here, screaming or not.

Besides, I liked the interview, even if I believe that some of the point could have be transported better by a little less "Angry cunt mode" and some more level headed analysis.

Section8

Cipher
Fucking shit. With a snap of his fingers, Vince spawns a reputation as "Romero-but-credible" and a nerdcore metal band named after his game. Age of Decadence: 1 - Internets: 0

Fez

Erudite
Impressive. I enjoyed that enough to read it all through, including many of the comments. Reminds me of some of the golden moments of debates on the Codex.

Shannow

Waster of Time
He, now they've dragged the "mental skills are also player skills" argument out of its hole *g*
I always wonder what kind of people don't see a difference in puzzles and tennis...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://kotaku.com/351905/age-of-decaden ... y-with-you

The reason reviewers called Oblivion a 10/10 brilliant masterpiece is that is WAS a a 10/10 brilliant masterpiece.
you may or may not agree that oblivion was a 10 out of 10. but anyone who does not acknowledge that it was a GREAT game, is a few bricks short of a full load.

You also have to consider when Oblivion was released. There is a lot of talk of the next be game being the "first truly nextgen experience," but Oblivion WAS the first truly nextgen experience and few games have come close to it's beauty, level of detail and sophistication since.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Surprisingly most of the comments at kotaku are fairly positive.

Vault Dweller

Developer
" Nobody is interested in making dialogue-heavy, turn-based RPGs loaded with meaningful choices and multiple paths. A game like Diablo will always sell more than a game like Planescape: Torment..."

What an eye-opener! People prefer having fun teaming up with friends over sitting alone playing purposefully overcomplicated games by themselves? What a concept! If I want a gripping story, I'd rather read a book and let my own imagination figure out the images, rather than be fed them through a boring as shit turn based rpg. Sorry turn based RPG fans, I just don't see the attraction at all whatsoever. Every single turn based RPG I've played has been a movie chronically interrupted by hypnotically boring gameplay. Anything turn based RPGs can do, books and movies can do far better.

Black

Arcane
Hey, awesome. You've got free Aod advert at kotaku. Seems to me like they wanted to present VD as a typical rabid rpg bastard, yet many people agree with him.
Go kotaku!

Lumpy

Arcane
You'd think a Vice President of Sales and Marketing would try to suck up to his potential customers as much as possible. Obviously, you'd be wrong.

Lurkar

Scholar
Black said:
Hey, awesome. You've got free Aod advert at kotaku. Seems to me like they wanted to present VD as a typical rabid rpg bastard, yet many people agree with him.
Go kotaku!

Yeah, that's how I read it. Kotaku put that up to insult you, and it somehow ended flipped around on them. Good show.

Otingocni

Novice
I liked X-COM and Fallout as much as the next guy but time moves on. Get over it. You aren\'t going to win many new customers but telling them they are stupid and then force them to play a game like it is 1994.
Damn it, VDweller! Stop holding a gun to my head and forcing me to play this game.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I think this guy's staements should be added to the list of things you should say if you want to alienate your target audience.
DAMMIT VD, YOU ARE ALIENATING YOUR TARRRRRGET AUDIENCE!!!!

If your game isn't at least as good an RPG as Oblivion, some people will be very pissed.

My first use of caps lock in years. Feels kinda stupid.

Vault Dweller

Developer
While Oblivion fails at the quality control for longevity, replayability, fun, scope and other things it is very good. I agree that it's overrated however, I'd say it deserves a 9.0
Uh... What?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom