Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence July Update

Marobug

Vault Dweller said:
We have absolutely no interest in consoles. ITS official position on this matter: the console audience can shove their consoles in their stupid asses.

I edited Oscar's update when he posted it and added "and consoles". I blame my dry sense of humor.

Dood. Trolling your own audience is a recipe for failure.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Marobug said:
Vault Dweller said:
We have absolutely no interest in consoles. ITS official position on this matter: the console audience can shove their consoles in their stupid asses.

I edited Oscar's update when he posted it and added "and consoles". I blame my dry sense of humor.

As if this small joke suddenly led to some cataclysm leading to people grabbing their forks and suddenly losing all interest in the game, ending the world by those events. It was just a joke man.

Micmu

Magister
Surf Solar said:
As if this small joke suddenly led to some cataclysm leading to people grabbing their forks and suddenly losing all interest in the game, ending the world by those events. It was just a joke man.
Indeed.
I find it funny (now) because I actually believed it for a while there... or at least I wasn't *really* sure if it's a joke or not. I'm very much a pessimist nowadays, expecting only the worst. Anything. Even something that was completely inconceivable 10 years ago. This is what recent shit in "gaming" industry did to me. If they made Fallout oblivion with guns, an X-COM as pop-a-mole, Duke as utter shitter and even Vogel made a bioware-like indie game, so I just though maybe VD went completely nuts, too. It sounded just crazy enough to maybe be true. I'm glad this is not the case with AoD. :obviously:

drunkpriest

Scholar
I looked forward to playing this on LIVE with my bros and comparing scores and stuff, but
since its just for the pc I will have to pirate it

Marobug

Surf Solar said:

Just kidding just kidding. I admit I chuckled when you admitted what you did, though imagining the entire AoD forum going apeshit for a day or two and then you going like "gotcha! Just trolling, it's still pc exclusive" could be pretty fun.
:thumbsup:

Zomg

Arbiter
Do Sony and Microsoft require all of their Steamalike downloadable games support the controller? Has anyone done something like port a straight up mouse+keyboard PC genre like RTS to Live or the Sony version of Live or is that shit off the map? Why isn't Blizzard trying to get up in that ass, what why who

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
since it's pc exclusive will it have games for windows certification at least

it would reassure ITS fans to know that a level of quality similar to fable III or hunted: demon's forge will be guaranteed by professionals

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
That said, that justification on the previous page seemed good enough, VD. What's keeping you from releasing it on live arcade or something to boost sales, other than :x ?

Take him at his word. Especially on a friday night. :salute:

Vault Dweller said:

That said, something seems fishy

I dont understand how someone can enjoy playing console game's with their kids and have no interest in consoles and I dont understand how someone who has no interest in consoles could make such a typo.

Typos usually don't spell actual words unless of coarse you get your courses backwards like I just did.

I will throw this out there since we are airing PMs. I would port everything and code the stupid achivements and controls to put AoD on Live if VD is double trolling. That way they don't to waste time on it and they can focus on a PC game which is what sells on consoles anyway. From Madden to Dragon Age isnt it always PC games and ex-PC games...

On another subject. AoD should drop the quotes about 100s of quest. Nothing wrong with reneging on that. 15 quest with multiple solutions are better than 100 and we don't need 100 in an Indie game. I mean not at all to rush the game in any way except stating that you dont need 100 fucking quest.

thursdayschild

Educated
villain of the story said:
I wonder if the performance improvements come from instancing, dynamic batching, virtual texturing and/or dynamic lightmaps.

It comes from making the characters have not so many polygon.

MetalCraze

Arcane
AoD is being dumbed down for consoles?

LAWL!

VD must be trolling.

If he isn't... Well let's speculate on which innovative inventory interface will be included and which stats will be cut out so you won't have to spend 30 minutes digging through them with a gamepad.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Marobug said:
Vault Dweller said:

I don't think they're worried about 1 retard (you).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Clockwork Knight said:
That said, that justification on the previous page seemed good enough, VD.
Because I copy-pasted it from a conversation I've had with a certain bro who argued rather passionately that AoD will do well on consoles.

What's keeping you from releasing it on live arcade or something to boost sales, other than :x ?
Because we believe it's not necessary. The PC RPG market is big enough to support a small indie studio. If we won't get the support there, we won't seek it on the console market.

Because consoles are for action/arcade games meant to be played with friends on your couch. Because I've never seen a decent RPG on the consoles and I don't think that porting is possible without dumbing gameplay down. Every time a console port was announced, quality suffered despite assurances that it won't.

Because I like playing games with a keyboard and a mouse.

Kaanyrvhok said:
I dont understand how someone can enjoy playing console game's with their kids and have no interest in consoles...
Context.

No interest in developing games for consoles. Similarly, I like the Diablo games and will buy Diablo 3 the moment it's released, yet we have no interest in making action RPGs.

I will throw this out there since we are airing PMs.
We are not. Airing PMs would be telling everyone what you said and (usually) inviting people to laugh at you and/or attack your position. I merely copy-pasted a paragraph since I needed some authentic "in favor of" arguments.

On another subject. AoD should drop the quotes about 100s of quest. Nothing wrong with reneging on that. 15 quest with multiple solutions are better than 100 and we don't need 100 in an Indie game. I mean not at all to rush the game in any way except stating that you dont need 100 fucking quest.
a) I don't think we mention that the game has 100s of quests everywhere. I've mentioned 2-3 over the years that the game has over 100 quests. Not hundreds.
b) you're implying that it isn't so, which isn't nice
c) the starting town alone has 25 quests, so it's kinda hard to scale it down to 15
d) what kinda lame ass game, indie or otherwise, has only 15 quests?
e) AoD was designed to be replayable and many quests are mutually exclusive, which is why the high number of quests is NECESSARY, because an average playthrough will give you no more than 25 quests, which isn't a lot.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
thursdayschild said:
villain of the story said:
I wonder if the performance improvements come from instancing, dynamic batching, virtual texturing and/or dynamic lightmaps.

It comes from making the characters have not so many polygon.

Nope. It comes from making the characters have not so many drawcalls.

Just give up, Vaginal Douche, nobody cares about Grimoire 2: Age of Decadence anymore.

... except for me, as I weep myself to sleep every night.

:( :( :( :(

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Context.

No interest in developing games for consoles. Similarly, I like the Diablo games and will buy Diablo 3 the moment it's released, yet we have no interest in making action RPGs.

You dont have to develop a game for consoles to release a game on a console. I wish more developers understood that.

Your stance could be. -AoD is a PC game designed for the PC gamer you can play it on consoles just as you might play Fallout on the PSP or Diablo on the PS 2. You just don't have to go through the hassle of emulating.

That would set a wise president both economically and artistically.

We are not. Airing PMs would be telling everyone what you said and (usually) inviting people to laugh at you and/or attack your position. I merely copy-pasted a paragraph since I needed some authentic "in favor of" arguments.

I don't mind either way I would have rather heard your argument for porting AoD to Live arcade even if it was hypothetical.

a) I don't think we mention that the game has 100s of quests everywhere. I've mentioned 2-3 over the years that the game has over 100 quests. Not hundreds.
b) you're implying that it isn't so, which isn't nice
c) the starting town alone has 25 quests, so it's kinda hard to scale it down to 15
d) what kinda lame ass game, indie or otherwise, has only 15 quests?
e) AoD was designed to be replayable and many quests are mutually exclusive, which is why the high number of quests is NECESSARY, because an average playthrough will give you no more than 25 quests, which isn't a lot.

Fug after banging my head against the monitor for 15 minutes I decided to graniulate right with you.
a) Yes the statment is over 100 and its on the website. You also state that each situation has multiple ways of being handled.
b) I am. Its not realistic, and its much too time consuming for something that isnt necessary or wanted by anxious or grounded fans.
c) Not quite. I'm saying that if your quest truly have multiple solutions and paths then they will take longer to develop and play through so 15 is a strong number in context.

e,d) The 15 was an example of what I would find fun in a playthrough knowing that you would have to design and develop at least twice that number. It was a statement on what I would rather have to offer perspective not a suggestion. My suggestion is that over 100 is too much not that 15 should be the target. I understood that you might need three times as many quest in total taking into account the quest that even a flexible character build could not attain.

Off the top of my head I think of Fallout and my two favorite JRPGs Way of the Samurai and Shenmue that had low quest counts. Fallout had less than 50 quest. About 20 of them had multiple solutions and less than 10 had more than 2. By AoD's criteria Fallout had about 20 quest. A likely end user would play maybe half of them so we are talking about less than 15 AoD worthy quest per play through in Fallout. The funny thing is I think you could pull it off. You already have better combat. I just dont see 100 and if you already have 25 in one town I would hope the town isnt paced like the first IWD town that had about six quest and its more like Neverwinter in the NWN games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Your stance could be. -AoD is a PC game designed for the PC gamer you can play it on consoles just as you might play Fallout on the PSP or Diablo on the PS 2. You just don't have to go through the hassle of emulating.

Why do you presume Console-players would be any more lenient towards Vince and ITS when they play a game that has shit console controls than we are when we get the same on PC?

I think it would yield as much shitstorm as success from the audience.

Plus, I can completely symapthise with the fact that Vince would like his audience to get the most of the game. They will get that with a mouse, not a controller.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Grunker said:
Why do you presume Console-players would be any more lenient towards Vince and ITS when they play a game that has shit console controls than we are when we get the same on PC?

I think it would yield as much shitstorm as success from the audience.

Plus, I can completely symapthise with the fact that Vince would like his audience to get the most of the game. They will get that with a mouse, not a controller.

Why would you presume that a simpler port of the controls would produce shitty controls? I played BG on the PSP and I use to emulate C64 games on a smart phone. Without any optimization it handles better than RPGs that were designed for consoles. Nothing is as derpalistic as the Fable inventory or the memory leak in the Oblivion inventory, or the unified Dragon Age/KOTOR inventory, or the Mass Effect Inventory. I'll map the AoD combat demo to a 360 controller and see how it preforms.

Again ITS wouldnt have to do it.

MisterStone

Arcane
Glad to hear that two years after that combat demo was released you guys now have a TOTALLY AWESOME dialog interface. That old dialogue interface was just not cutting it. I swore to myself I would never buy the game unless the dialog interface was completely re-vamped, and damn if you guys didn't come through!

This game, and especially it's dialog interface are going to rock the gaming world like no other game before it.

:thumbsup:

MisterStone

Arcane
(seriously though the performance increases are pretty good news, the demo was just flat-out embarrassing in this regard...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom