Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence March Update

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
First they turn out to be graphic whores, then they turn out to be consoletards and then they turn out to dislike any difficulty above casual. Faggots.

curry

Arcane
Why should Vince "swallow his pride" if he listens to feedback?

Because when the demo public beta was released, he at first kept insisting that nothing needs to be fixed and people are just noobs if they can't appreciate his "masterpiece". I guess he eventually realized I was right all along.

Where did he say that? In the release thread? I didn't read it much, I wanted to play right away. I'd love to read the very words - or words that can be paraphrased as such. :lol:

Just open his profile and look up his posts. :roll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Because when the demo public beta was released, he at first kept insisting that nothing needs to be fixed and people are just noobs if they can't appreciate his "masterpiece". I guess he eventually realized I was right all along.
Are you gloating over a developer dumbing down it's game due your whining?
:rpgcodex:

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned

:rpgcodex:

I gave no feedback whatsoever on the demo and I was just now thinking I had to fiddle with it some more. :lol:

curry

Arcane

I haven't whined, I've given only constructive feedback. And I've never suggested dumbing down or making combat easy. In fact, my biggest complaint has been that the game is only ostensibly nonlinear, limiting the player's choices too much (for a game that's supposed to have lots of C&C and braching.)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Well combat was the more exciting part to test i guess, but no word about tech?
Me and some other dude strongly suggested to use screen short cuts to also close them. Also allow to jump to other screen immediately.

ex. i -> inventory, c -> jump to character, c - close character screen. It's lighting fast and clean, bringing joy to browsing your specs/gear/quest/map.

Allow saving between major events (i guess it will be possible when you stop teleport directly from the dialog).

Performance is also not that good, i am on low settings and it still runs slow. Moving the camera drags and scrolling lags. Laptop with Geforce M105, Intel T6600 CPU, 3GB RAM.

We are adding autosaves, and we already added using the shortcuts to close screens. We'll see if we can add some performance improvements in this update. There are quite a few things that we can do to improve it, but takes some time. Will DEFINITELY be better for the final release.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Skyway raging about the unfair positioning of ranged combat characters was one of his stopped clock moments and I don't see anything in there about specifically fixing that. :M

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Skyway raging about the unfair positioning of ranged combat characters was one of his stopped clock moments and I don't see anything in there about specifically fixing that. :M

We are also fixing that. I asked for suggestions where this should be specifically applied.

Esquilax

Arcane

Oh cool so if it's as easy then opening his profile and looking up his posts, I'm sure you could post a few examples here no problem, right? Especially since you're the one claimed that he said that any people that didn't like his demo were"just noobs who couldn't appreciate his 'masterpiece'". See that? That's a direct quote from you earlier in this thread. Wow, you were right - looking up someone else's posts is easy!

curry

Arcane

Oh cool so if it's as easy then opening his profile and looking up his posts, I'm sure you could post a few examples here no problem, right? Especially since you're the one claimed that he said that any people that didn't like his demo were"just noobs who couldn't appreciate his 'masterpiece'". See that? That's a direct quote from you earlier in this thread. Wow, you were right - looking up someone else's posts is easy!

Actually, I thought about doing that earlier, but then realized there's no point in arguing with the drones again. If you haven't read the threads here and especially on ITS forum, or choose to ignore the facts, it's not my problem.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
wwii_1943_ussr.jpg

:smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
We are also fixing that. I asked for suggestions where this should be specifically applied.

That's easy. The main problem with archers and lightly armored chars in general is that you drop them right into the middle of multiple bad guys. Which considering stats that are not about soaking damage but about mobility and damage with other weapons than swords.

Simply let the character walk into combat on his own. If that's too hard -> simply put the char further away from the combat center. This will give more freedom of approach. And give archers a fighting chance. Melee guys will still have to rush into the close combat so no exploits for them - except this time they will also be able to select how they approach it.

Ambushes are still OK if they make sense and not in every fight - meaning not like in that quest where you select a dialogue option "ooh I must be walking into an ambush if I go with them" and then you walk into an ambush. Like you totally didn't see it coming. Bash that dude's face following you into a bloody mess. Options man, you hyped them up. Gimme them.

Trash said:
First they turn out to be graphic whores, then they turn out to be consoletards and then they turn out to dislike any difficulty above casual. Faggots.
You complain about the game having no colours but next-gen brown and green - you are a graphics whore
You complain about the game having only 2 viable builds while for every other build that isn't talker/melee heavy dude it's about pure luck and constant reloads - you are casual

Nice going there,Trash. Deaths per second is now the measurement of how hard the game is.

Black

Arcane
Improve the god damn optimization, because it's terrible.

As for combat, I don't think it's necessarily way too difficult for Codex masses it's just that combat in AoD is risky and it's easy to die. So why risk dying when you can go non-combat route and risk much less?
Combat- put enough points into relevant skills, use your head, have to improve your gear, can still die.
No combat- put enough points into relevant skills, done.

vrok

Liturgist
Changes look pretty good and make sense. Looking forward to try it with tags removed. I'll give my failed hybrid praetor another try when the update comes out.

hiver

Frustration is bad for your cholesterol and we don’t want to see kids suffer, but unfortunately – or fortunately – it's not universal. We have 2 camps now:
You have three camps.
- “the difficulty is great, please don't change a thing!”
- “combat is impossible; rage-quitting is my only option!”
And a third that simply isnt an extreme overreaction like these two which are basically extreme derp party and extreme decline party.

… which makes it very hard to decide what to do.
Fuck them both off and go with the middle.
which btw, looks like is what you guys are doing. I hope.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will we still get [failure] for failed skill checks? Cause if so, some people will still metagame.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Well combat was the more exciting part to test i guess, but no word about tech?
Me and some other dude strongly suggested to use screen short cuts to also close them. Also allow to jump to other screen immediately.

ex. i -> inventory, c -> jump to character, c - close character screen. It's lighting fast and clean, bringing joy to browsing your specs/gear/quest/map.

Allow saving between major events (i guess it will be possible when you stop teleport directly from the dialog).

Performance is also not that good, i am on low settings and it still runs slow. Moving the camera drags and scrolling lags. Laptop with Geforce M105, Intel T6600 CPU, 3GB RAM.

We are adding autosaves, and we already added using the shortcuts to close screens. We'll see if we can add some performance improvements in this update. There are quite a few things that we can do to improve it, but takes some time. Will DEFINITELY be better for the final release.

Great to hear that, i thought all the whining burried those concerns. Keep up the good work.

Esquilax

Arcane
Guys, perhaps this is a poor suggestion, but given that the combat in the game seems a good fit for party-based combat, could there perhaps be an option to control party members if you have higher CHA? I was thinking something like this:

4-5 CHA: No control over party members
6 CHA: Control over 1 party member picked at random during battle
7 CHA: Control over 1 party member of your choosing.
8 CHA: 1 random, 1 chosen
9 CHA: 2 chosen
10 CHA: Everybody

This seems like it might give a character who is more balanced a bit of an advantage while still maintaining the core of individual combat. If you can control your party members to a certain extent thanks to your stats, I think it would go a long way towards giving balanced merc/assassin builds some more options in combat and making combat a little bit more compelling (and I already liked the combat to begin with). 10 CHA would still remain such a serious stat investment that you'd get your ass kicked anyways if you were on your own, so it's not a huge boon for that type of character anyways.

What do you guys think?

empi

Augur
It's not what VD wants...

Also, the updates look promising, it's nice to know you're taking feedback on board.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom