Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence March Update

Regdar

Arcane
Is anyone else experiencing random crashes during loading screens? After the latest one my demo refuses to start, saying Direct3d failed to initialize or somesuch shit.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
A few suggestions more:

- Netted enemy status display seems to be bugged - sometimes the combat log shows the enemy has been entangled, but the net icon is not shown. When it is shown, it sometimes sticks longer than 2 rounds, even when the entanglement penalties have expired. And I've seen it persist on corpses of formerly netted enemies too. So the code for showing the icons doesn't seem to be working well.

- It would be really nice if hybrid thrown weapons (knives, axes, pila) could also be used in melee (at lower efficiency, with the hit chance depending on melee skill - dagger/axe/spear - but that would require them to be tagged with two different skills and would require engine modifications?). It just feels a bit contrived that a character can throw knives at an enemy, but is unable to stab him with them when the enemy moves to melee range.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Oh, and I forgot the one that's been bugging me the most: the game allows right-clicking on a weapon in the inactive hand and changing the attack mode, but doesn't automatically activate it.

So for example, when I want to switch from a net to a sword and select Aimed: Head (because it's perfect to use against netted enemies), I have to first left-click the sword, then right-click for Aimed. If I do the intuitive thing and just right-click the sword and select Aimed: Head, the game allows it that but keeps the net active. Why would anyone want to change the attack mode on an inactive weapon? So automatically activating the right-clicked hand would save one click for the more common (and sane) case, and would make the UI logic straightforward: every time you click a hand (left or right), it becomes active. As it stands, it's somewhat cumbersome and a bit counterintuitive (and I'm an absent-minded dope who keeps throwing nets on already entangled enemies).

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
(and I'm an absent-minded dope who keeps throwing nets on already entangled enemies).

I tend to shield bash twice while meaning to switch to my weapon after changing my attack mode by right clicking. Automatic activation after right clicking the weapon would alleviate some unnecessary annoyances. I've also noticed the bugged netted icon as it sometimes persisted on my own character when netted in combat (even after healing) until the next combat encounter. While we're nitpicking, I'd appreciate it if in game menus were closed after pressing the same keyboard shortcut used to open them (i for inv, c for char, etc).

Marsal

Arcane
Let me add something as well: "take all" option should close the loot dialog if successful.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
And while we're on a roll, here's another one with thrown weapons: after using anything but the default Throw (say, Fast Throw) once, another weapon of the same type is automatically equipped, but the action is reverted to Throw. This makes things a bit clunky if you want to repeat the same action with thrown weapons, as opposed to melee and ranged ones which tend to remember the last action. This is probably caused by tying the action to the individual item (which changes after each throw, but stays the same after each melee swing etc.) instead of the hand / item slot. So again, a slight inconsistency in the controls, which tends to cause unnecessary friction...

Marsal

Arcane
My turn! Reload on ranged weapons requires constant right-clicking and FSM help you if you have more than one ammo type (material). It's clunky and a magnet for misclicks. I often just open the inventory and reload from there. Some inventory tweaks should be made to facilitate selecting default ammo and separate reload button (or some clever default action settings, like last user selected attack action when loaded, reload with previous ammo when not). 2nd hand slot could be used if not for one-handed crossbows.

Just cut those. :troll:

Tigranes

Arcane
All we need is an R hotkey to reload the previous ammo, just like F/N/P for the attack types.

The net icons/etc have been bugged since the combat demo, just looks like they haven't got around to it yet.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I suppose it would be ideal if dialogue tags could be enabled/disabled in the options screen.

I am always for more choice in game, besides in Fallout there was one persuasion skill here are 3 + intimidation and disguise acting often as bluff and various class/reputation checks. Add a combination of them and writer not being Native Kwan/Brit and you can go Hiver all the way and show blank screen. :roll:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I agree with Mrowak and other codexistaners about tagging skills in dialogue. Basicaly, removing tags would only work if dialogue would be more rich, detailed, and dialogue trees would be *much* more maneuverable. I think really good writing is the only way to leave horror house of metagaming/minigames for a palace of roleplaying.
I really like other design decisions team made, and am eager to test new game.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah lets make an entire new conversation system that DU dreamed up in fever addled dreams and is never tested or even worked at, to this almost ready to release game.

Seriously who thinks this is realistic, or even cool? Who brofists this shit? I mean I know that the codex is for fags but still...
Hey, I'm just throwing ideas around for a dialogue system that's better than the "win / lose" of current systems. Feel free to contribute as to why you question it's "realism" or "cool"ness.

I just remembered we used to have a name for in-game conversation skill tags, back in the day. What was it..?

Oh, right, "Moron Indicators."
No, 'Moron Indicators' were features that morons complained about. Like the Spirit Meter.

We could call those "Idiot Meters" if you like.
Tehnically Moron Indicators were a little more moronic than that. They went so far as to tell you "this line of dialogue where you ask for a quest, will give you a quest". The whole debate is here.

... and guess who coined the term? :smug:

Man, there's even a dead link to the Interplay Forums in there. It's discussions like that are precisely the reason we setup the Codex.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That's a very good idea. While it's too late to try to fit it into the AoD design, we'll definitely explore this concept further.

PS. You need to write lengthy posts more often. Maybe a design article on non-combat gameplay?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Like how space rangers worked

Yeah, man, that's exactly the game I wanted to mention in this thread but forgot every time - Space Rangers, the right way to include CYOA-style action into your game. Rangers have done this thing so much better, in such a perfect way (especially when your native language is russian so you're not bothered by godawful translation) that primitive, gameplay devoid style of AoD just can't stand any comparisons. Sure, each adventure there had it's own parameters (but that could be easily fixed - each adventure could have unique rules as well, but basic stats would be deprived from your global stats) and they weren't exactly plot connected (but that can be easily fixed as well), but, as I've already explained, those are no big hindrances. It's a pity that in terms of non-combat stuff AoD replaced the gameplay with metagameplay.

hiver

Im so fucking happy none of you are designing any games... that would be painful even to avoid and stay clear off.
Especially not AoD.

hiver

Maybe if they had listened to real feedback like mine instead of your ball-licking people wouldn't be wondering WTF they are looking at as they play the demo right now.
... Shut the fuck up imbecile.

hiver

Dont you know we are in the anti happy-pony magic field around here? Dont throw those spells unless you want to be turned into a tranny.
:D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom