Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (AoE1 HD rerelease)

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Took their sweet time. Will buy if pricing is not retarded, otherwise -60% it is.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Out now:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/08...ross-play-steam-age-ii-de-coming-november-14/

Age of Empires: DE Cross Play Now Live with Steam, Age II: DE Coming November 14 to Xbox Game Pass

940x528_XBOXWIRE_GAMESCOM-1.jpg

Hello to our Age friends and family from around the world! Today, we are thrilled to not only announce the arrival of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on Steam as well as Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) and Ultimate, but the official release date of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, which will launch on Microsoft Store, Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) and Ultimate, and Steam on November 14, 2019!

AoE2_DE_PREORDER_NOW_1920x1080-1.jpg

For all you Age II players eagerly looking forward to the arrival of the Definitive Edition, starting today you can pre-order the game on the Microsoft Store and Steam! You’ll be able to enjoy all the features—including cross play with your friends, four brand-new civilizations, three new campaigns, and a transport ship full of game improvements —right on day one, so be sure to unlock your copy today:
Our goal is to make the best possible version of Age II that we can, working right alongside our community. So while Age II DE’s release is only a few months away, you can sign up to participate in the Age II DE beta right now – visit ageofempires.com/insiders to join the Age Insider program – and help us tune and refine Age II even further. You’ll also have a chance to participate in future beta opportunities, so sign up!

AoE_DE_AVAILABLENOW_1920x1080-1.jpg

But that’s not all the Age news today! We’re happy to announce the arrival of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on Steam and Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta), now featuring cross-network play between the Windows 10 and Steam platforms. We believe that if you’re a fan of Age of Empires, you’re part of our family, and that means we want you all playing together, no matter where you choose to game from.

You can pick up Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on Steam or the Microsoft Store for $19.99 USD. If you’re a subscriber to Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta), you’ll love to hear that Age DE has arrived for members — a strong addition for those of you looking to add a little “stone age through medieval times” strategy to your life:
To take advantage of cross play, existing owners of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition from the Microsoft Store will need to download a brand-new client. This is a free download for anyone with Definitive Edition in their Microsoft Store library. And don’t worry: all your existing save games, campaign progress, and achievements are preserved. In fact, any achievements you’ve earned in the earlier Definitive Edition will automatically unlock in the new client; they’ll even count towards your Gamerscore, so double points! Woo!
  • Read more about upgrading to the newest Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.
The development teams have been hard at work improving the games we all love and play, and we can’t wait to continue this adventure through the ages with all of you! Don’t forget to pick up your copy of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition and to pre-order your copy of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition today! Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) or Ultimate members will also find Age: DE included with their subscription starting today—to be joined by Age II: DE on the same day as its global release on November 14.

Cheers and have a fantastic week at gamescom 2019!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can anyone confirm if this works on Win 7? I'm itching to play an RTS lately and why not start here, but I'd hate to demo 20 GB of data if it doesn't work. I get mixed information on Google and it's all from before or shortly after the game came out.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
This was my first experience of Age of Empires, and the music and visual update really attest to how timeless some gameplay can be. Although I've read that the older versions had a less elborate pathfinding system, which had to cheat to remain competitive; and obviously this has seen some balancing with more design sensibilties (possibly AI iterative testing?). Does the new pathfinding/balancing make that much a difference?

Can anyone confirm if this works on Win 7? I'm itching to play an RTS lately and why not start here, but I'd hate to demo 20 GB of data if it doesn't work. I get mixed information on Google and it's all from before or shortly after the game came out.

Officially requires W10, would assume any solution otherwise will be hacky at best.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinding was definitely a problem before, but now it's mostly fixed as far as my research shows. The AI is definitely better as well, but I'm not sure if it applies to the campaigns as well.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I got a 50% off of the AoE1 and 2 bundle on Steam and bought them. AoE1 works fine on Win 7, I haven't tested 2 yet.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Here's what's weird about this game (both original and DE). When you have more than 1 unit and tell them to go somewhere, they don't go towards your mouse cursor, but instead interpret that as some kind of weird radius around it and move in a straight line towards that. For example, if you have an unfilled circle of units, select them all and tell them to move towards the center of the circle they probably won't do anything because they think they are already there. It's super hard to explain with words but it makes your commands unnecessarily difficult for them to follow. If you want them to move as a clump, you have to make them into a clump beforehand. This is probably the worst problem this game has and that's why it isn't as popular online as AoE2. Outside of that, it's actually an excellent game and one of the best RTSes ever, both original and DE. If they gave us an option to switch to classic graphics during the campaign and not only during skirmishes or multiplayer games, the original would've been a useless relic. If they are committed to patching DE like they've shown lately, I'd be ecstatic.

I also love how they explain the history behind every mission you do, but that was true in original as well. DE comes with personalized fail messages after every mission if you quit the game before you win it or just lose. The first tutorial mission says your villagers got trampled by small gazelles (because the objective is to hunt them) and died, lol. Most tutorial missions are changed and are not as difficult as they are in original, outside of the obvious wonder mission where surviving the initial assault is quite difficult and requires a specific strategy due to lack of villagers from the start, the mission where you are taught how to use trading boats has weird ally relationships. The Libyans with whom you warred in original are friendly, and the actual people you had to barter with are their rivals, so the Libyans attack their dock that was used to generate gold in original. It was kinda weird, I thought I was in an unwinnable state before I realized the Libyans are the ones I'm supposed to trade with in this version.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Even though I don't know 100%, I'm gonna make a wild guess and say no because Microsoft/large corporations.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Own the original and still have my boxed copy but never got around to finishing the missions. Started playing this and finished Egyptian, Greek and Yamato. Playing through the Babylon campaign and holy fuck a couple of those missions were hard. That first one is a doozy when you start with a priest and nothing else. You have to build a wall to block the red enemy as soon as possible from crossing the river and destroying you. Another campaign was a war on attrition and had the enemy run out of resources so I could win. I'm pretty determined to finish all the campaigns in this game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm playing the campaign on hard and I'd say they nerfed a lot of the missions from the original. I wish they had the option in-game to play the original versions (along with the old graphics I still enjoy) instead of having to bust out my old copy of AoE1. Which I did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom