Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II HD

Repressed Homosexual
https://www.ageofempires.com/games/aoeii/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/19fboa/age_of_empires_2_very_likely_coming_to_steam/

http://steamdb.info/sub/26117/

Sub ID 26117
Name Age of Empires II Pre-Order
Last Record Update (March 6, 2013 – 23:52:23 UTC)

Additional Informationbillingtype Bill Once Only (1)
changenumber 190348
licensetype Single Purchase (1)
status Available (0)

Apps in this packageAppID App Type Name Last Updated
221380 Unknown ValveTestApp221380 March 6, 2013 – 23:57:38 UTC

Several weeks ago xPaw and Marlamin of steamdb.info parsed all of the Steam Game Hub's for the unknown "ValveTestApps" one application in particular was very interesting: ValveTestApp221380, codenamed "Kaos" which is part of the Microsoft Games Studio package / sub has the Hub icon of AoE2 The Conquers.

This app has been receiving regular updates each week, the most recent being one from this post date being: "about 3 hours ago (February 28, 2013 – 19:18:29 UTC)". Up until today however the application has only had two test achievements, since an update last night a big list of real achievements have been added ( grabbed from here ):

Should be very interesting, as many people still consider it the best RTS of all time, and one of the finest looking 2D games of all time.

I must admit I only played the first title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Multi-headed Cow

I'm not the biggest Age of Empires fan in the world, but I enjoyed some AoE2. I'd pick this up given a good enough sale price (Good enough being $5, maybe $10 if I was feeling froggy).

Multi-headed Cow

WHAT'S THAT TRIPJACK

I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY WALLS-UPON-WALLS-UPON-WALLS-UPON-WALLS

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Goths FTW
Fuck your walls, I HAVE ENDLESS WAVES OF ARROW-PROOF HUSKARLS!!!!!

This. I played AoE2 for years, too scared to be the Goths since they couldn't build walls, only palisades. Then when I did it was a revelation. The only thing more terrifying than a 150 strong horde of huscarls coming at you is knowing that they will be instantaneously replaced as soon as any die.

Tigranes

Arcane
AOK was a brilliant, brilliant game. Pity the Zone sucked like hell. Will be getting this, would be fun to play some Codexers.

I remember at one point I was Asian enough to take a group of 20 longbowmen, calculate how many are needed to kill a single [whatever unit] in a single volley, then manually select groups of exactly that many longbowmen to target different enemies. It makes a world of difference when it's not 30 longbowmen firing at a single man-in-arms, but, say, 7 longbowmen hitting a cavalier and another 7 hitting another. But that was a long time ago...

I played the crap out of this as a kid. Used to do the random maps at max size with max AI, which worked really well because the AI always attacked whoever had the highest score, and since AI was at max difficulty, it would cheat with resources and stuff and quickly get ridiculously high score, causing it to attack other AIs while I built up a serene land, gazing upon the passing destruction from afar. Until someone built a wonder, in which case I'd send 20 trebuchets by transport ship and nuke it in one shot.

This was also back when expansions were kickass. Broodwar, Yuri's Revenge for RA2, and Conquerors all added tons of content.

Akarnir

Educated
What the title said.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/age-of-empires-ii-hd-arriving-april-9-6404962

It was so sudden, I can't believe that Microsoft finally remembered they published this masterpiece, and that it deserved some attention after all these years.

Finally, My childhood game getting some love and some official acknowledgment.

One can ask, why are they doing this after all these years? Quick cash, maybe... Or maybe they are preparing the terrain for an actual Age Of Empire 4.

If they don't butcher it, A la Trent Oster, this could be way better news than age of empire 3 and online combined.

Here's the trailer for the lazy ones :

What if they aslo try with AoM. Considering AoM graphics weren't really refined (3D strategy games were making their first steps) they have less way to fuck it up.

There is also the potential of complete failure. Age of Empire graphics are of the most delicate kind. If they fuck up the graphic by adding cheap ''modern'' effect, they deserve to die in hell.
I'll watch this very carefully.

Johannes

Arcane
Will it be compatible with the original? Don't really see the point, there's nothing to fix in the original.

I don't use Steam so if players move over there and there's no proper way to play the HD version guys without it, this'll only be a bad thing.

Tigranes

Arcane
I actually hope that they change nothing at all. All I want is for multiplayer to work and everything else to be exactly the same, since the Zone is long dead and was terrible anyway.

I mean, seriously. Do you think any change they make would be positive in any shape or form? The more work they do, the less likely it'll be any good.

Xavier0889

Learned
The part in which all the Steam faggotry was annunced killed my boner. Fuck you Gabe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom