Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II HD

Bilgefar

Savant
I have no idea what the point of this is. I can already play AoE2 in 2560 x 1440 in windowed mode with no issues thanks to the userpatch, which is still getting very frequent updates. Multiplayer works fine with Gameranger or Hamachi. From that video the only actual graphical enhancements they made was to the water...who gives a fuck.

The only thing I can see them doing that would actually be useful is if they fixed the issue for some computers where it would lag to shit if they were playing a game with both AI and human players. But that alone would only be worth it for the small number of people who that affects.

I wonder if they'll just GOG it up and release this with touched up water graphics + the userpatch and not credit the makers of the userpatch.

Borelli

Arcane
I don't get this HD craze. Improving a classic's graphics while leaving the rest sounds like a great idea its just ... AoE2 is already a beautiful game so coming 13 years later to improve the graphics a tiny bit makes this all seem so redundant. Like what's the point ($$$) . Although i never played it online back in the day so there's that to look forward.

Gord

Arcane
Hey, it worked well for BG:EE, so what could possibly go wrong?

:troll:

Xavier0889

Learned
In one scenario of the Barbarossa campaign you fought the Potatoes. In-game they were goths tho.

Akarnir

Educated
After watching the video in big screen and 720P, I can already sense the :decline: .

They cartoonised the main menu. The new water is a Tasteless Cheap ''modern'' animation. Same for the Fire. It looks super gimmicky, especially in the middle of an otherwise motionless environment.

And is it just me, or do the colors lose all their intensity in ''Remastered'' Version?

And Yeah, the multiplayer might be Improved on the TCP/IP side, but if they don't have an actual comparable platform like Gameranger and Voobly, then it would be useless.
Also, not being able to play it on Voobly or Gameranger anyway is just stupid. Unless all the community shift to this ''enhanced'' Edition, it will split itself. The Steam Newfags on one side, and the Gameranger/Experts oldfags on the other side. And it probably won't be compatible with the Old Editions anyway. I don't see them releasing a free patch for the 1.0c owners.

The only good thing seems to be the steam workshop. That's it.

Akarnir

Educated
After watching the video in big screen and 720P, I can already sense the :decline: .

They cartoonised the main menu. The new water is a Tasteless Cheap ''modern'' animation. Same for the Fire. It looks super gimmicky, especially in the middle of an otherwise motionless environment.

And is it just me, or do the colors lose all their intensity in ''Remastered'' Version?

And Yeah, the multiplayer might be Improved on the TCP/IP side, but if they don't have an actual comparable platform like Gameranger and Voobly, then it would be useless.
Also, not being able to play it on Voobly or Gameranger anyway is just stupid. Unless all the community shift to this ''enhanced'' Edition, it will split itself. The Steam Newfags on one side, and the Gameranger/Experts oldfags on the other side. And it probably won't be compatible with the Old Editions anyway. I don't see them releasing a free patch for the 1.0c owners.

The only good thing seems to be the steam workshop. That's it.

After thinking about it, That reminds me of this.

baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-announced.jpg

But More importantly this :

Age_forgotten.jpg

Exist.

-It's free, you can download it and play it immediately on Voobly and Gameranger.
-It brings a lot of Extremely well thought balance change, All these designed by the actual best players in the community.
-It brings also 5 New Balanced civs with 2 new architecture set (One still under development thought).
New units.
-In the future there will be a new actual campaign (campaign menu included).
-It brings some appreciated changes to multiplayer
-It's 100% supported by a good chunk of the community and will be updated continuously. And of course, all this with the best intentions in mind, since it's benevolent work.
-It also allows you to play in higher resolution and Widescreen. And it doesn't disfigure the Magnificent artstyle by adding cheap gimmicky 3D animations.

Seriously why the fuck was I so enthusiast about this HD remake?

I'm eagerly waiting for them to reveal more actual interesting features that doesn't ruin this Great Classic. And also for them to retract those cheap power point animations.

I would rather see them Not touch anything if it's the fuck them up, but they can also add much to this good old game. Just like the way The AoFE team handled it.
I really do hope that they haven't told everything, and that there is some potential :incline: to be revealed.
They did a masterpiece 11 years ago, they can still pull this again by really doing something relevant, and not ruining previous features.

Cmon Microsoft!

Santander02

Arcane
YES!!!! this is the game that turned me into a PC gamer
fukuaok.png

(With apologies to RK47)

More than the game itself however what I remember most fondly was messing around with the game surprisingly versatile map editor and playing the amazing things people managed to build with it, some of the scenarios and campaigns made for this game were my very first introduction to rpg-like gameplay, and might as well have been what eventually got me to try out proper RPGs in the first place, had lots of fun going trough the age of empires 2 heaven website and finding gems like the Sabato Saga and Wolfcastle.

Any info on whether or not this "HD" version will retain the editor? if it doesn't then my enthusiasm will drop right back to apathy....

Would also like compatibility with existing user made content, but that might be too much to ask for.

Multi-headed Cow

Any info on whether or not this "HD" version will retain the editor? if it doesn't then my enthusiasm will drop right back to apathy....
Considering they're touting Steam Workshop support I'd guess an editor is pretty much confirmed.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
guess there's a demand.
not sure why they can't even make a proper sequel and went to re-HD past work.
out of ideas, much?

Santander02

Arcane
guess there's a demand.
not sure why they can't even make a proper sequel and went to re-HD past work.
out of ideas, much?

Considering Ensemble Studios went under a while ago...

Heh silly me, I just saw in the trailer the editor IS still in, if nothing else this game's release might encourage people to go back into the wonderful world of AOEII scenario building.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i duno,i felt as i grew older, RTS is just not the genre for me.
i went back to TBS and felt much more at home since i can take my time n plan stuff out - save and quit mid way doesn't seem too demanding as in 'build this n that, oh i gotta go, save game, comes back later and wondered what am i suppose to do now.'

The multiplayer support, presumably powered by steamworks, will make this worth it. Could even have a codex league or smthing if people are interested.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This HD remake is a good news, only for the improved multiplayer support. It is not easy the play the old ones in multiplayer. No, Hamachi doesn't count because it is a piece of shit, and it is tedious to use.

Akarnir

Educated
This HD remake is a good news, only for the improved multiplayer support. It is not easy the play the old ones in multiplayer. No, Hamachi doesn't count because it is a piece of shit, and it is tedious to use.

Gameranger and voobly are pretty good options.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

But you still have to find friends who want to play with you. Instead of opening the server browser and setting up a match.

Akarnir

Educated

But you still have to find friends who want to play with you. Instead of opening the server browser and setting up a match.

Why is that? Those 2 Platform are server browsers too. I agree the amount of game room isn't overwhelming, But I usually find a good room within seconds.

With steam you are bound to have a larger amount of people online, and they might also use the steamworks elo system to match you up with equally skilled people. I hope they make matchmaking for 2v2 modes as well.

Akarnir

Educated
Yeah. that and the steam workshop are basically all there is to it.

The High Res Patch already exist. The difference between 1.0c High res and HD are barely noticeable, and in fact the HD brings really shitty changes like the Idiotic Water And flames and the Ugly new farms. They just smoothed some texture a bit, but you really have to pay close attention to it. And it looks a bit blurry when you zoom in.

ss_f196e3b1c70038e09140f12aebcfdf0ef57915b0.1920x1080.jpg

What The Fuck where they thinking with the farms???

And the new cliffs aren't pretty either, But I concede the previous ones weren't really beautiful.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously, the fuck did they do to the farms. They look like cotton farms or something now.

Also, what's with the new resource icons?

Akarnir

Educated
Also, what's with the new resource icons?

Oh shit, that too.

Now what the fuck is the food icon? Corn ?? That only existed in south America. What was wrong with the piece of meat?

Yeah sure, they are HD now, but they also look more silly and cheap.
Why do they feel the need to do this?

Also apparently, the studio that's producing this is the same that developed CS : Global offensive. From making Generic FPS rehash to refining a classic strategy Games there's just one step apparently.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now what the fuck is the food icon? Corn? Fucking Corn?? That only existed in south America. What was wrong with the piece of meat?

Catering to the "meat is murder" vegetarian crowd, also trying to appear more multicultural by making the food icon a piece of food only the Aztecs and Mayas actually have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom