Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II HD

Bilgefar

Savant
This HD remake is a good news, only for the improved multiplayer support. It is not easy the play the old ones in multiplayer. No, Hamachi doesn't count because it is a piece of shit, and it is tedious to use.

:? How is Hamachi tedious to use? It takes like 2 minutes to set up a server, and then once you have you automatically connect to it when you start Hamachi. Opening Hamachi before opening AoE2 isn't any more work than opening Steam before AoE2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This HD remake is a good news, only for the improved multiplayer support. It is not easy the play the old ones in multiplayer. No, Hamachi doesn't count because it is a piece of shit, and it is tedious to use.

:? How is Hamachi tedious to use? It takes like 2 minutes to set up a server, and then once you have you automatically connect to it when you start Hamachi. Opening Hamachi before opening AoE2 isn't any more work than opening Steam before AoE2.
I used Hamachi a long time ago, so I might be mistaken in this, but aren't you suppose to tell your friends about your server, so they can come and connect to your server? With steam, you just browse the servers and play, even if you don't now the other guys.

Bilgefar

Savant

I used Hamachi a long time ago, so I might be mistaken in this, but aren't you suppose to tell your friends about your server, so they can come and connect to your server? With steam, you just browse the servers and play, even if you don't now the other guys.

Yes, but again it takes barely any time. Tell them the name/password of the server, they connect, and then you're good to go. You're right that this only works with people that you know, but there's still GameRanger for playing with other people (very easy to use and almost always has AoE2 games running). I guess I just don't understand people's desire to pay 15 dollars for something they could get for free with only an extremely modest amount of extra work.

Xavier0889

Learned
aren't you suppose to tell your friends about your server, so they can come and connect to your server?

Back in my day, we always used to play AoE2 online like this, and we never had any problem.
Popamoled online gaming?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
aren't you suppose to tell your friends about your server, so they can come and connect to your server?

Back in my day, we always used to play AoE2 online like this, and we never had any problem.
Popamoled online gaming?
I just don't have friends who wants to play AoE2, so it would be easier to just fire up a server browser.

Xavier0889

Learned
What's the difference between AoE 2 and AoE 3?

The biggest difference is the engine. It's 3d, which was seen as a departure of the classic AoE style. Setting-wise, it goes from the Reinassance until 1850. Obviously, it covers Kwa's Independence Wars, but it also features a lot of civilizations and indigenous groups from all the world. To be fair, is not that bad. It's just that AoE2 was a classic.

Akarnir

Educated
What's the difference between AoE 2 and AoE 3?

The biggest difference is the engine. It's 3d, which was seen as a departure of the classic AoE style. Setting-wise, it goes from the Reinassance until 1850. Obviously, it covers Kwa's Independence Wars, but it also features a lot of civilizations and indigenous groups from all the world. To be fair, is not that bad. It's just that AoE2 was a classic.

Yeah it's not that bad. But it's not that good either.

WeierstraĂź

Learned
Project: Eternity
Will buy for painless multilayer. An no, don't start talking about your Hamochis and your Gamer Angers. Fuck them. They're bad. They don't work.

Xavier0889

Learned
Goths FTW
Fuck your walls, I HAVE ENDLESS WAVES OF ARROW-PROOF HUSKARLS!!!!!

Teutons for life

What sort of fucking armor these Teuton Knights wore, Power Armor?!

It is known that a full medieval armor suit was about 30 kg (60 lb?). And we're not considering the weight of the two handed sword there. What makes me wonder why they were so slow is that Champions also seemed to have full armor as well.
AZNs were cool as well. The chinese crossbowmen shooted bolts like machine gun fire. And the samurai was a little siege unit on his own.

Delterius

Arcane
Let the milking commence. How is Microsoft not sending their legions of lawyers to eat these motherfuckers alive I will never know.

And for the record I hope they do something about cataphracts being op again. Ain't dealing with that, oh no sir.

BTW, I would've loved a AoMII. If I did it I would've added Celts, Carthagians/Phoenicians (BOOOATS MOTHERFUCKERS! NUMIDIANS AND CHILDREN SACRIFICE!), Babylonians and Persians (ZOROASTRIANS, motherfuckers. Need I say more?). Perhaps Mayans in a expansion, for extra "Carthageans really went to the new world" narrative. BTW, I always thought Nordics in AoM were pretty, I don't know, out of place in a ancient greece/atlantis narrative, I mean, WTF is Arkantos doing in the ass-end of Scandinavia? The fact Ullysses appears from nowhere was hilarious, through, boy, was Poseidon pissed.

Did someone say... Cataphracts?! *shudders* Few things are as nightmarish as playing a infantry-based army (Goths/Aztecs) in a All Random Max AI Max Map Size, then finding out one of the civs is Byzantium.

I always wanted an AoM 2 where they added Persians and Celts/Germans. For the life of me though I wonder how they'd set up the Celt unit roster to make it differ from the nordic one, since they gave them all the stereotypical northern units. Druids and a couple of monsters is all I can come up with.

And yeah, cataphracts were fucking bullshit and the tales my grandfather told me about the empire had parts that scared the shit out of me. Playing against them and seeing that mass of ninja-looking horsemen come down at me, thinking "they are gonna knife the eyes out of the ones they catch" was not a pleasant experience to a 7-8 year old.

Xavier0889

Learned
A medieval AoM would include the arthurian myth, which is something I don't want to see anymore.

Santander02

Arcane
AoM was awesome! BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT AGE OF MYTHOLOGY!!

No argument there, still AOE3 followed the camping structure of AOM: Accompanying a team of Heroes trough a single EPIC journey throughout the world, instead of the separated history-grounded stories of AOE2; and AOE3 pushed the EPIC far enough to turn the whole thing retarded, see the aforementioned Knight Hospitallers journeying all the way from Malta to meet the Incas.

Although they did made us meet Simon Bolivar in the latter part, which is pretty :incline: in my book.

Delterius

Arcane
AoM was awesome! BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT AGE OF MYTHOLOGY!!

No argument there, still AOE3 followed the camping structure of AOM: Following a team of Heroes trough a single EPIC journey throughout the world, instead of the separated history-grounded stories of AOE2; and AOE3 pushed the EPIC far enough to turn the whole thing retarded, see the aforementioned Knight Hospitallers journeying all the way from Malta to meet the Incas.

Although they did made us meet Simon Bolivar in the latter part, which is pretty :incline: in my book.
Nevermind the part where american railroad builders allowed the independence movements in hispanic america?

Minor nitpicking, since the Knights met the Aztecs who then were helped by the Incas.

Tigranes

Arcane
In before ex-Ensembles finally give up making mobile shit and kickstart Ages of Empire: Totally Like AOE1, Except Now You Can Build Gates Instead Of Leaving A Big Hole In The Wall

Heresiarch

Prophet
Can any of your fanbois give a short, subjective, [Intelligence] overview of AOE2? I've only played AOE1, and then only against the AI, so I'm not a competitive player either. Liked AOE1, but not as much as Starcraft. Never played AOE2 because I think I was being addicted to playing PWs of NWN1, and Brood War I think. But from the gaming magazines, AOE2 implemented those MASSIVE buildings, which turned me off...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom