Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Age of Wonders 1&2: looking for Play By Email recruits

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
We have a PBEM group for the original Age of Wonders games - yes, in 2018 - at https://www.gog.com/forum/age_of_wonders_series. However, it's too small for my liking; 6 players is the most we can manage to get in a game generally. I heard this would be a good place to ask around.

We play the base games, but I would be very interested in playing the high quality mods (namely Warlock's Ruleset and MP Evolution), and a couple others could be brought around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absinthe

Arcane
Haven't really played Age of Wonders in multiplayer. How does that go? And does AoW 1 in multiplayer really work? I thought AoW 2: SM was the only decent option as far as competitive balance goes.

There's two types of multiplayer, hotseat and PBEM. I do know there's some hotseat players around somewhere on Gameranger or something, but it's Play By Email I'm advertising here.

In Play By Email, combat between players is autoresolved, walls are almost irrelevant in large city-battles, and concealment is far stronger than in live games because you don't get a chance to see a Concealment-capable unit moving between patches of forest as long as they start and end their turn concealed. Heroes in AoW1 are also rather hideously overpowered if you max out their DEF on levelup, and lizardmen, archers, and elephants are vastly superior to most basic tier troops. Despite all this, there's still plenty of strategic play to be had especially in regards to scouting and maneuvre, and the imbalance isn't the sort that biases things much in favour of a particular player or race, against the others. AoW2 is more balanced but I've been having a great time with PBEMs in both.

Games consist of each player playing their turn, which is then automatically emailed to the next guy, and automatically extracted into their Email In savegame folder (and makes a pinging notification noise when you get your turn). This is thanks to the Email Wrapper http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1122.
A typical match lasts weeks or even months, depending on the number of players and how prompt they are playing their turns. We like to post in a Turnlog to keep track of whose turn it is, here's an example https://af.gog.com/forum/age_of_won...rwocky_catermune_southern/page1?as=1649904300

This is of course vastly more convenient than hotseat - some of us have jobs, kids, etc - but not to everyone's taste.

There can be some minor issues getting the games or wrapper to work with windows 10 / gmail etc, but I can point to fixes.

Citizen

Never did pbem AoW, would like to try. Are GoG versions of 1 and SM okay?

Never did pbem AoW, would like to try. Are GoG versions of 1 and SM okay?
GoG version of 1 is fine, but for SM everyone uses the unofficial 1.4 patch http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=661
I'm in. We going vanilla or mods?

I say make a huge map and get a 12 player mayhem going.
Vanilla since it's too much of a pain to switch around and I'm halfway through vanilla games as is.
BTW, you'll need http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1122 and maybe https://github.com/int19h/aow-patch/files/999989/AoW_MapViewer.ShowScene_patch.zip
As for 12 players, we currently have an AoW1 interest thread running here for 12 players, empty slots to be filled with AI - https://af.gog.com/forum/age_of_wonders_series/aow1_oracles_eye_pbem_setup_and_turnlog?as=1649904300 I would expect about 6 GoG people to show up, so any people from here would make up the numbers nicely.

I'm always up for AoW2 games too.

Citizen

Seems strange to play a game focused on tactical battles without tactical battles between human players, but whatever. Any houserules?

Would you chaps also be interested in a 6-player game? It'd be much easier to find that number of players.

We could also trial run some 1v1s to see if you've installed the wrapper and got it working, it can be fiddly. I know gmail with ''allow access to less secure apps'' works.

PM me the emails you're going to use.

Last edited:
Gimme Lizardmen, I will see what stats my leader should have.
I think the guy starting the PBEM has to select everyone's starting abilities.

Weird, that GoG thread had the players choosing the abilities
I mean he has to input everyone else's choices, which is why he wants to know them. Or at least I assume so, I've never done a customised leader game myself before.

Use of free movement dragon ships not allowed

:negative:
What's the point then?
That's only optional rule, I got seriously raped by one of those recently in PBEM. I would favour banning them, but not if others like them. And they do remind me of 'The Ship Which Sails over Land and Sea' from Elric of Melnibone - Elric books inspired large parts of the main campaign storyline, so banning them is a bit sad.

If you two goyim get around to installing the game and wrapper and tell me your PBEM emails, I can start a game that's otherwise short for the necessary 6 players. I think some people are tied up in PBEMs because someone else started a bunch of PBEMs all at once several weeks ago and took ages to play their turns.

Would be my shamefurr dispray probably, but maybe.
Have sent. It's a small but detailed/varied map. I will have an advantage of playing it before, and (hopefully) an advantage from being more used to the game. So I'll delete my starting tier3 troop as handicap. After which, I shall tryhard. AI garrisons are apt to prematurely charge forth from the protection of city walls if any point is breached during a battle, that tip could be useful in the start here.

Also, when you finish your turn, just press the default sending option - ''use Email Program' is a red herring, you need to stick with 'Automated'. Another player I found recently fell afoul of it, I believe.

Citizen

Did you receive the turn in your email, and did the wrapper acknowledge that?

Yes and yes. I wasted half an hour figuring why it didn't grab the mail (connected alright to both imap and pop servers), turned out it just ignored the mail because it was marked as read.

Citizen

BING XI LAO, it wёrks now. I did RTFM, added a path to the game to registry, and the wrapper saves the files in a correct folder now. Would do my turn tomorrow.

Fargus

Arcane
AoW1 is the only game in the series i liked. It's ironic how im on unstable internet and limited traffic at the moment and this feels like the only way to play online :)

Maybe i'll join you in your future games. Cheers, bros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom