Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Agony - non Unity horror FPS

bonescraper

Scorn is interesting for the Giger inspired art, though i don't recall Giger being so...fleshy.
It's part Geiger, part Beksiński with a touch of Davind Cronenberg.
Yeah, that weapon looked ridiculously bad.
Looks like you knowledge is ridiculously bad.

So you have Giger's and Beksiński's art mixed with Cronnenberg's obsession with flesh and biology.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I was talking about the one in Inner Chains, as noted by tormund. Also, i wasn't talking about the looks of the weapon at all.

Also, that film was kinda shit.

majestik12

Arcane
Played through Inner Chains yesterday (on YT, of course). I regret to report that, fantastic art direction notwithstanding, everything about this game is utter shit. It plays more like a tech demo made to show off Beksińskian environments rather than an actual game.
Fingers crossed for Scorn and Agony not ending up the same way.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playway/agony/posts/2140581

New details about the release date

Dear Friends and Fans,

b2e4eb0176526a24b4b0272b4b4273a1_original.jpg

As you all have been curious about Agony we do have some information for you. Sadly we have to inform you that March 30th will not be the release date. We will inform you as soon as possible with the final release date of the game. Why is this? -With Agony being released across PS4, PC and Xbox we are facing last steps including polishing to support every player- no matter which platform - with the best possible experience. We wish this could have been done faster but ask for your patience to ensure you get the experience you deserver when Agony is released.

ortucis

Prophet
They probably want to avoid what happened with Inner Chains.

All the draw towards games like these has been "UNREAL 4 HURR DURR LOOK AT THEM GRAFIKS" (title of this thread should tell you a lot).

You can just tell from videos that there was no attempt at storytelling and proper gameplay, at all, since these are projects from artists who are only focusing on visuals to sell the game. Those shitty Paranormal Activity movies have better attempt at world building than these games. :lol:

Last edited:

Vexxt

Educated
I always get this game confused with a different one that looks like something out of HR Giger's mind - that bio-mechnical style.

EDIT: It's called "Scorn" - https://scorn-game.com/

Not trying to derail the thread - but Scorn also holds promise.

Beowulf

Arcane
None of this new wave of FPS games (i.e. Agony, Scorn, Inner Chains) showed anything promising in gameplay department.
So far it's been only promises and nice visuals.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
None of this new wave of FPS games (i.e. Agony, Scor, Inner Chains) showed anything promising in gameplay department.
So far it's been only promises and nice visuals.

They are focusing on what brings a Indie game more hype than anything. Visuals. UNREAL 4 powered visuals especially.

Every idiot out there than thinks Unity is "bad" and Unreal is "good" will rush to buy even a turd wrapped in GOTY cover, powered by Unreal engine.

A good example is a game called Kholat. Game got famous for UE4 visuals (all white snow) while story is just incredibly stupid and gameplay is Slender's "Collect all Papers" while dodging shitty enemies, but now in a giant ass level where every location looks same. People hyped it so much that it became really funny when YouTuber's were pretending to be excited about Slender's gameplay on UE4 while playing it. I recommend reading negative Steam reviews for that game or just seeing some gameplay video for extra lulz.

Basically, if you're an Indie, blow your budget on visuals and make sure to plaster UNREAL 4 everywhere. Instant sales.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, it is a good looking engine. It was inevitable a bunch of artists with no game experience would flock on it. I think people in general are just tired of games having that pastel Fischer Price look all Unity and a lot of indie games in general seem to have. I know i am. None of the games we grew up with looked like that.

ortucis

Prophet
Well, it is a good looking engine. It was inevitable a bunch of artists with no game experience would flock on it. I think people in general are just tired of games having that pastel Fischer Price look all Unity and a lot of indie games in general seem to have. I know i am. None of the games we grew up with looked like that.

That pastel look has nothing to do with Unity. Artists made those games and now they are making same games on Unreal 4. Only difference is, they have better lighting engine at their disposal (not true these days with newer Unity releases updating lighting) along with a integrated shader editor (only now Unity is finally adding one) instead of one you have to pay for in asset store.

They could've made same games in Unity and I'm sure some have.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You say that, but i've seen video comparisons using the same assets where Unity still had that pastel quality to it.

ortucis

Prophet
You say that, but i've seen video comparisons using the same assets where Unity still had that pastel quality to it.

Well, a lot of people find that Unreal makes everything looks "plasticky".

Personally, I find that it depends on the artists using these engines. Adam series done in Unity is a good example of what it's capable of in the right hands:

Big Wrangle

https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-version-of-agony-will-have-optional-patch-to-remove-censorship/
Hellish horror game Agony was due out on March 30, but it was delayed late in the day and developer Madmind Studio hasn't yet announced a new release date. Part of the reason is that all the violence, torture and nudity is making it difficult for the team to get the age rating that they want. In a Kickstarter post Madmind explained that, after speaking with age-rating companies, it's had to tone down certain sections of the game in order to obtain a Mature rating, rather than an Adult Only (AO) rating. An AO rating would mean the game couldn't release on consoles.

The studio says that all versions of the game will be the same, so the PC version will be toned down too. However, it has also confirmed a "special, optional patch for PC that will remove the aforementioned 'censorship'", which players will be able to download after release. The patch won't be available on consoles, so Madmind is offering Kickstarter backers that paid for the console game a chance to switch to the PC version. The more, the merrier.

As for what will actually be censored, Madmind is keeping quiet to avoid spoilers, but it says that everything that's been shown off in the trailer will remain in the game. That means you can still expect a haunting, gory time in Hell with plenty of impaling, eye-gouging and a terrifying Red Goddess.
The big PC bois getting free titties, I guess?

Big Wrangle

Shit's coming out on May 29th, better get hyped for some tryhard dialogue. Also I'm pretty sure it should be called 'Release Date Trailer' or something

Big Wrangle

Each trailer just keeps revealing more cringe. The tryhard dialogue leaks into the voice actors too, who are clearly confused by the script. This is gonna be another of those that once you lose the wow factors it just becomes funny.
Nothin personel, devs.

ortucis

Prophet
Each trailer just keeps revealing more cringe. The tryhard dialogue leaks into the voice actors too, who are clearly confused by the script. This is gonna be another of those that once you lose the wow factors it just becomes funny.
Nothin personel, devs.

Like I said before, these games are getting press and will get positive reviews based on visuals, not storytelling or interesting characters.

These games are flawed like games designed by programmers only, they are focusing on one thing during development (art). Anyway, this will get positive reviews from every idiot who worships Unreal 4 and hates Unity for no reason whatsoever.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nothin personel, devs.

Too many artists without a job in this industry. Those games feel like glorified resumes.

ortucis

Prophet
What games are designed by programmers only?

I mean besides Grimoire.

Minecraft is the best example. But if you frequent developer forums, you'll find them everywhere.

Only thanks to visual programming in engines like Unity and UE4, artists have started working on games (so you see better art instantly).

kalganoat

Savant
Yeah not a good sign they don't show gameplay. Is this a fps or walking simulator

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
For a game focusing on "art" it seems to lack any sort of aesthetic sensibility. Yes, everyone with access to the internet knows about Beskinski and Geiger at this point, it's not impressive in itself to be influenced by them when so many games claim to be so. The art of Beksinski and Geiger is not impressive because it is "gross," in the way that this game is, both of those artists, especially Beskinski, displayed the quality of grace in their artworks and had a masterful knowledge of color, form and framing. Geiger's designs were utterly unique and Beskinski's art was beautiful rather than gross or disgusting. Everything I've seen of this game is gratuitous to the extreme and derivative, like the notebook scribblings of a 15 year old black metal fan.

ortucis

Prophet
For a game focusing on "art" it seems to lack any sort of aesthetic sensibility. Yes, everyone with access to the internet knows about Beskinski and Geiger at this point, it's not impressive in itself to be influenced by them when so many games claim to be so. The art of Beksinski and Geiger is not impressive because it is "gross," in the way that this game is, both of those artists, especially Beskinski, displayed the quality of grace in their artworks and had a masterful knowledge of color, form and framing. Geiger's designs were utterly unique and Beskinski's art was beautiful rather than gross or disgusting. Everything I've seen of this game is gratuitous to the extreme and derivative, like the notebook scribblings of a 15 year old black metal fan.

Personally, I think this SCORN game has better coherent look. Watch the videos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom