Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AI enhanced textures for old games

schru

Arcane
Not necessarily. I suppose it depends on the monitor's matrix, but when Maggot posted some photos of his CRT monitor last year the picture was quite smooth and crisp in 2D games. Unfortunately it seems like the images he uploaded are gone and I had just this one saved; I'm pretty sure the pixels would be visible at that level of panning in the recently released Enhanced Edition:

pwj459n.jpg

Also, those Blood screenshots...

9DjX5AH.jpg

The algorithm would probably yield better results if it were applied to individual textures.

otsego

Cipher
The algorithm would probably yield better results if it were applied to individual textures.

Of course this should be obvious. Those BLOOD up-resses look awful, but it is the program scanning a full image and applying its formula (I presume). But individual results of separate sprites have been very impressive. I'm very excited about the Doom project, for example.

The way this algorithm seems to interpret design and apply it almost seems too good to be true. Combine that with an artist who makes the correct adjustments (aka. someone not looking to do a cheap hi-res update), and we could see some decent graphical updates to some classics that we could POSSIBLY agree are worthwhile.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
A few months ago I suggested using LetsEnhance for upscaling Chrono Cross backgrounds, but apparently the engine would shit itself and it wouldn't work even via emulators.
I think it's a good direction for cheap HD remasters though, like the various jRPGs re-released on mobile and steam.

Hm, the Grandia I+II remaster is coming soon, right? Maybe they're using this approach?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is mind blowing to be honest. I love the style of the old games, but it always hurts to see them look like crap on modern monitors. It you scale them up, they look super pixelated, and they lose a lot of their quality compared to their original release. If this technology keeps improving, and it can enhance full games, and not just pictures we can play those old games with their original quality, but on high resolution monitors. This alone gives me a boner.

Perkel

Arcane
ESRGAN option is mainly for images which were downscaled.
Meaning like there is original art and then it is downscaled to fit into game or some part of image.

Which is why it works really well on pixelated stuff that looks like it was downscalled and textures of old games vs pixelated stuff that was made like that on purpose. On other hand if art is in original resolution then algorithm also doesn't seem to work great either.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can this be done on images that were scaled up to restore the square pixel-ratio? (https://imgur.com/a/nocUZ)
.. or would I need the original 320x240?

Would be interesting to see this replace the AA filters in DosBox one day, and combine it with the perfect-pixel stuff in DosBoxECE

Perkel

Arcane
Don't think so. It was trained specifically on downscalled images.

Speaking of this AI stuff. This is just part of ongoing research.
I mean about 2 years ago we already had videos where AI could figure out correctly people features and convert people faces in videos to replace their faces in almost unnoticeable way.

NSFW

This stuff will do wonders for stuff like textures in future.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Can this be done on images that were scaled up to restore the square pixel-ratio? (https://imgur.com/a/nocUZ)
.. or would I need the original 320x240?

Would be interesting to see this replace the AA filters in DosBox one day, and combine it with the perfect-pixel stuff in DosBoxECE
Don't think so. It was trained specifically on downscalled images.

Speaking of this AI stuff. This is just part of ongoing research.
I mean about 2 years ago we already had videos where AI could figure out correctly people features and convert people faces in videos to replace their faces in almost unnoticeable way.

NSFW

This stuff will do wonders for stuff like textures in future.
It was made for downscaled images, but shouldn't you be able to "simply" (I can't get this shit to work myself for some reason) upscale them to an even higher resolution, and then downscale them normally to a reasonable size?

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Damn, some of those could use a touchup here and there, but a lot of them look like actual paintings again.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
So ran 1 background from RE3 cause one guy on reddit asked for it. All are single pass, anyway here are the results.

OXxSvTz.jpg

^Original scaled up for comparison

mBU7k4F.jpg

^Network interp 0.8

ZJfoDtK.png

^Manga

Manga produces the best result. But a lot of detail is just smudged over, I think running it through this upscaling thing and then re-touching it up to bring back the details would be the best result for now. Well loosers can't be choosers

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Left one -> looks like grass and dirt
Right one ->
giphy.gif

Also, 2 photoshop filters later
qcvTfuY.jpg

Fucking black magic.

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
So I got it working on my work comp with a 1080. Right now some guys are working on retexturing PSP Monster Hunter games, not just upscale, so I stopped my Freedom Unite project and am occasionally helping out by upscaling really tiny textures for them, that's it.

Anyway, if you guys tell me some games where I can easily extract textures and run it, I will think about it. Don't tell me too mainstream stuff as I am sure about 100 other people are already on it.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
From what I saw, the Hexen Ai upscaling project seems good but I think the same could be achieved with a source port with support for higher resolutions, some games seem to benefit more like those PS 1 fixed cameras 2d games with rendered graphics like Final Fantasy 7 but on alot of games, the Ai upscaling looks like those shitty emulation filters that only erase the subtlety of the pixelated image to create a blurry mess.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You realize the artists and engineers who designed the visuals for these game were aware of what the end result would look like taking into account the technological constraints of the times, and did everything they did, made every choice they made to achieve the desired look within those constraints? They look the way they are supposed to look. There is nothing to improve. This idea that you can apply a catchall filter to these games as a way to make them "better" is moderntard shit of the highest level, up there with colorizing black and white films. Might as well run photoshop airbrush filters over Bruegel's oil paintings while you're at it, too.

If you don't like the way an old game looks on your 4K monitor with virtual reality goggles then don't play the game, go play fortnite instead.

I agree.

I used to filter the shit out of Morrowind's textures until I realized vanilla looked best. And I don't mean "high res vanilla!" with weird enhancements, just the original uncompressed textures (full quality) of the game. Then I realized that by playing the game at 1080p, I was seeing Morrowind bigger than Bethesda originally intended, so of course textures stood out as particularly blurry. Once I played at windowed 720p, the game actually looked nicer (and ran better to boot).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
They're doing video now. Persona 2 Innocent Sin opening from the PSP version was given this treatment:

Probably needs a side-by-side comparison with the original, but it's moving forward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom