Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Al Lowe's Leisure Suit Larry Remake -- Out Now

otsego

Cipher
The whole reason to donate to kickstarters :smug: My gift has arrived. The box doesn't look that bad in real life.

Very cool, I just got the T-shirt.

This pic makes me even more excited for my collector's box of Wasteland 2.... and Broken Age... and Eternity.... and Original Sin... and Torment......

Oh god, WHAT have I done with my money?!

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I'm just amazed how many people just don't get larry. While you may be able to argue that it's point doesn't fit as well today, calling it inherently sexist and mysgonistic is stupid.

LARRY LITERARY WAS A GAME THAT MADE FUN OF A SEXIST GAME.

I've always thought of Larry as being inspired by the stereotypical "funny horny guy" characters you'd see in 1980s TV shows and movies, like John Larroquette's character in Night Court.
Actually, I firmly believe the character was directly inspired by Larry Dallas from Three's Company. The time syncs up perfectly; TC was on from '76 to '84 and stayed in syndication forever and Leisure Suit Larry was released in '87.

tumblr_mrlpvfn57D1qcmk4ho1_500.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Al says it was inspired by some guy who worked at Sierra.

However, while I don't actually remember much of Three's Company that guy does have a Larry aura.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lies, we all know it was inspired by the great Herbert R. Tarleck:

trustno1code

Prophet
Leisure Suit Larry creator Al Lowe retires from Replay Games

There goes Larry (Josh left a while ago). Shame (and I still haven't gotten my Kickstarter stuff, FeelTheRads' post on top of this page mocking me every time).
Also, notice in the comments:
Paul Trowe said:
Well, I hope you guys are proud of yourselves. Now there will never be another Leisure Suit Larry game ever made again. Congratulations. And before you kick me while I'm down, or throw me under the bus again, try and remember who brought you back Al Lowe and another Larry game. Well, it's over. Oh, and by the way, Al really did say those EXACT words on our company conference call. It wasn't the quote he wanted in the article, but it was EXACTLY what he said on the call with the entire company listening. But it doesn't matter, because you will say what you'll say and that's that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Huh, maybe I was lucky because I was in the kwa at the time.

Anyway, what exactly is Trowe saying there? Al (and Josh) left because people didn't like Trowe?

trustno1code

Prophet

DeepOcean

Arcane
Leisure Suit Larry creator Al Lowe retires from Replay Games

There goes Larry (Josh left a while ago). Shame (and I still haven't gotten my Kickstarter stuff, FeelTheRads' post on top of this page mocking me every time).
Also, notice in the comments:
Paul Trowe said:
Well, I hope you guys are proud of yourselves. Now there will never be another Leisure Suit Larry game ever made again. Congratulations. And before you kick me while I'm down, or throw me under the bus again, try and remember who brought you back Al Lowe and another Larry game. Well, it's over. Oh, and by the way, Al really did say those EXACT words on our company conference call. It wasn't the quote he wanted in the article, but it was EXACTLY what he said on the call with the entire company listening. But it doesn't matter, because you will say what you'll say and that's that.
So, Trowe can return to his cave and we have the chance of Josh Mandel and Al Lowe doing something with someone decent this time.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I can't into Twitter. So it's Al who said: "don't believe the quotes in the article. It was really due to Paul's actions and learning about them from you and all."?

In that case AHAHAHAHA

And Trowe replies

He has been.The team was on the phone call when Al retired and said all those things so it's not me fabricating nething

:lol: :lol:

It's kinda sad too, though.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Josh has been so nice and quiet through all of this - I really hope he rebounds, even by going it alone. Better yet he should go and supervise/fix Jane and the 2guys' games.

trustno1code

Prophet
Yeah, he even supposedly helped out with that last update (particularly the Age Verification questions), but he was most likely still under contract, like Al.
It's been worthwhile to have this guy back, if for a short while.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
GUYS REMEMBER ALL YOU NEED TO DO TO GET A REAL SEQUEL IS BUY THIS REMAKE!

Well there goes THAT....

Sigh :(

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, whatever. It resulted in a half-decent remake and a huge cavalcade of entertaining internet drama.

Paul Trowe, douche-bag to the end. :salute:

m_s0

Arcane
Paul Trowe needs a hug...
You go right ahead.

I'd rather be keeping a safe distance.
Josh has been so nice and quiet through all of this - I really hope he rebounds, even by going it alone. Better yet he should go and supervise/fix Jane and the 2guys' games.
Better hook up with Spider Robinson and do another Callahan's game. With all the shit both of them have been through recently it'd probably work out pretty nicely for everyone involved. Btw, does anyone hold the rights or have they reverted since?

m_s0

Arcane
Well, I got a reply (it didn't take this long, but I've been busy the past week). According to the man himself he was never contacted by Take Two (the publisher of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon) regarding anything and as far as he knows he still owns all the game rights.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I got a reply (it didn't take this long, but I've been busy the past week). According to the man himself he was never contacted by Take Two (the publisher of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon) regarding anything and as far as he knows he still owns all the game rights.

What about the rights to resell the game? If he has those too, GOG NAO

m_s0

Arcane

Way ahead of you there. Fingers crossed.

trustno1code

Prophet

Way ahead of you there. Fingers crossed.
Did Ya get any response to that?

m_s0

Arcane
Nothing yet. He's got family in the US, though, so that (holidays etc.) might be the reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom