Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Al Lowe's Leisure Suit Larry Remake -- Out Now

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I assume Replay website version is DRM free?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Did they keep the dialog and everything else the same from the VGA remake ?

I don't remember the VGA remake that well (Been a while since I played it). But, everything should be there just new (mostly good) stuff as well. And some jokes/lines were updated/rewritten.

trustno1code

Prophet
Did they keep the dialog and everything else the same from the VGA remake ?
Here's a pretty good rundown of the beta from the AGs forums:

It’s kind of a LSL Hard Mode. All the old puzzles are there, but there are also new ones and new complications to the old ones. Other than making death inconsequential, it doesn’t seem like they really went into it looking to smooth out the rough spots as much as just expand the game a bit. It’s pretty faithful, right down to some of the stuff that probably should have been cleaned up (like the pointless cheap deaths for merely walking off screen, and the having to wait around for certain characters to randomly appear).
The writing and voice acting are really good, though. The whole game has been re-written, and almost everything you do has a unique response, and the writing in general is very funny. For hardcore adventure fans like most people here, that’s probably going to be the bottom line. It’s just maybe not the best game for newcomers.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Firing up...

WTF NO SUPPORT FOR 1650x1050
I WANT MY MONEY BACK
:x

Also, can't change input controls, list is empty. Not that I would, since it's P&C anyway, but odd that the menu is even there.
Not a good sign when things are off before the game even starts.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Here's a pretty good rundown of the beta from the AG forums:

It’s kind of a LSL Hard Mode. All the old puzzles are there, but there are also new ones and new complications to the old ones. Other than making death inconsequential, it doesn’t seem like they really went into it looking to smooth out the rough spots as much as just expand the game a bit. It’s pretty faithful, right down to some of the stuff that probably should have been cleaned up (like the pointless cheap deaths for merely walking off screen, and the having to wait around for certain characters to randomly appear).
The writing and voice acting are really good, though. The whole game has been re-written, and almost everything you do has a unique response, and the writing in general is very funny. For hardcore adventure fans like most people here, that’s probably going to be the bottom line. It’s just maybe not the best game for newcomers.

That's a review of the beta, but pretty accurate. They added a bunch of nice new sound effect cues, fixed a lot of iffy-looking in-game menus and other comedy-timing and polish issues, and seemingly dropped some resolutions since then (the beta absolutely had 16:10 support, and I can't fathom why they dropped it).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
but odd that the menu is even there.

That's Unity... I heard you can make it skip that menu and program the options in the game instead, but I guess they didn't bother with that.

Anyway, just finished it. Lots of rough edges and technical glitches and animation and characters are pretty crappy but otherwise it's good stuff. Maybe they'll patch it.

Waiting for my box now.

Branm

Learned
but odd that the menu is even there.

That's Unity... I heard you can make it skip that menu and program the options in the game instead, but I guess they didn't bother with that.

Anyway, just finished it. Lots of rough edges and technical glitches and animation and characters are pretty crappy but otherwise it's good stuff. Maybe they'll patch it.

Waiting for my box now.

Already finished huh? How long is the game?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
A bit longer than the original, because of the couple of extra puzzles, I suppose.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Alright, played and finished the game this evening. Here's my brief general impressions:

It was quite quick to play through, but I'm rather familiar with the original so there were only a few stumbling points where new puzzles/varied solutions cropped up. Took about 5-6 hours to beat while basically knowing what to do.

The reason it took that long (rather than the 1-2 hours it would take me to beat the original LSL1 at this point) is the stupidly huge amount of interactivity they added to the game. Basically everything on screen has some response to every one of your actions (sometimes quite a few responses) and they're often pretty funny. A *lot* has been added on top of the original game, and it's good quality stuff. There's a bunch of easter eggs to be found if you're observant.

The new puzzles were mostly twists on the old ones with slightly modified solutions, but none of them will particularly strain you if you know your way through the original. In general I thought the modified puzzles were an improvement. The actual new puzzles and new girl in the game are ok -- they rely a bit on... not exactly pixel hunting but very careful exploration and observation, but are for the most part pretty straightforward. They could have been a bit better, but felt mostly in the spirit of the original.

The soundtrack was excellent, assuming you like jazz. Definitely very professional. On the same note, the voice acting was all very good. No complaints to be made there.

The art was mostly good, aside from the sprites sometimes clashing with the backgrounds. The animation is probably the biggest remaining issue, as there's still timing glitches with it, but it doesn't quite range into sloppy territory imo. It could probably use a bit more graphical polish to fix up some of the errors.

The writing is generally on-key, which means it's juvenile, tasteless, often hilarious. Though I found the updated stuff (new descriptions/reactions for existing stuff, I mean) to be a bit better than the brand new stuff. Most of the lines from the original are still there, just with more built on top of it.

That's about it. I'd recommend it without many qualifications for adventure game fans. The fact that they managed good quality on such a small budget and so quickly bodes well for future Kickstarter games. I was fairly sceptical of this for a variety of reasons, but I will give credit where it's due -- Al and Josh came through.

Oh, and yes there is nudity in the game, you just gotta be persistent. :cool:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, I also think they should skip on remaking all of them. Seems like a waste of time.

Plus, even if they release 1 per year, it's at least 6 fucking years to wait for a new one.

But apparently they already started working on Larry 2.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
2 needs a remake and 3 would be an interesting experiment.

5+ would only be interesting if you did something weird like remade them in the 1987 AGI engine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larry 2 was pretty wacky. I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of that.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I've only ever played the first one, aren't the rest supposed to be shit not worth remaking? (except the second one that you guys apparently llke well enough)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've only ever played the first one, aren't the rest supposed to be shit not worth remaking? (except the second one that you guys apparently llke well enough)

No, they're all pretty good except Larry 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom