Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Albion Online

Revenant

https://albiononline.com

Is there any chance of this rolling out to be something decent or will it be just another WoW clone? Anyone signed up for the alpha event? Cross-platform sounds nice for a change in a mostly Windows-exclusive MMO market.

Looks like a sandboxxy WoW which might not be a bad thing. If gets rid of forced pvp or ffa pvp it'll have a chance to be good. Might be considered incline for a mainstream user. Not my piece of cake though.

I think mainstream sandbox MMO's are perfectly plausible. The problem with sandbox games lies merely on the fact the user isn't told what to do and the player feels swamped with options. It just isn't popular. This is why the mainstream MMORPGs tend to be linear themeparks. However, they can be more sandboxxy if they make the sandbox a sideshow, sort of like how pvp is a sideshow in some MMO's. Just make it so the sandbox isn't a strict requirement or isn't mandatory to experience the game. Also put a lot of effort into reducing negative consequences when players take a wrong turn on their exploration of the sandbox. And also add lots of instanced sandboxes which're solo in nature but still competitive. The goal is to stop players from infringing on the enjoyment of other players, ackin to a person in a sandbox throwing sand on another person. Competition can still be allowed in a more controlled setting. The main thing is to stop griefing or interruptions, so players can peaceably make their sand castle.

And here's where I disagree too. That's another aspect of sandboxxes in an MMO setting. It's not just building the sand castle which is fun. Those interruptions can lead to emergent gameplay. Sometimes the other player might throw sand on you or ruin your castle, but sometimes they'll give you inspiritation or help you or cause something good which neither of you anticipate. REstricting these possibilities too much will make a sandbox MMO more successful/popular, but it can ruin it for me. What you want to do is to restrict griefing as much as possible, but don't restrict it so much that you kill the emergent gameplay.

See, it's the interactiosn between players which becomes a sandbox. It can also make it unpopular. By making it more solo or by controlling it, the developers can reduce negative or unwanted interactions. In my eyes, it's overcontrol. And yet that overcontrol is precisely what makes it so much more popular. Most people just don't like extra risk. Perhaps they have enough risk in RL and don't want any in a game. The game can still have plenty of sandbox in it, even without other players.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
closed beta is up, anyone playing this?
Scrooge you like terrible mmorpgs, know anything about this one?
because it looks like something i might enjoy, so if anyone knows anything...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
WoW? Looks like Torchlight the MMO. A bunch of streamers were paid to play this the other day. Looked mediocre.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't know if it necessarily plays like TL, it just looked like it as far as art direction and character perspective. I'll post a video if/when the streamers upload it to their YouTube channels.

zeitgeist

Magister
bLvQsAk.jpg

• Increase your skill progression speed with a 50% fame bonus
  • Master the Destiny Board faster with regenerating Learning Points
  • Collect 50% more Silver and loot from killing mobs
  • Improve your crafting with regenerating crafting focus
  • Become a master gatherer with a 50% bonus on your gathering yield
  • Enjoy a 100% increase on your farming yield and animal growth times on your player island
  • Boost your trading profits by having market taxes reduced by 50%

So first of all, a subscription ("premium") will be mandatory (see: Rift, Archeage). That's to be expected. However, you can also buy gold (the premium currency) in the store, which you can then trade for in-game currency. This will make gold-buying a necessity too, unless you're one of the rare people who have a monopoly on something in the in-game economy who can reverse the process and make the economy work for them. Data from other P2W games tells us that those people are usually the ones who buy a lot of in-game assets for real money first to get a foothold on something (a resource or an area or a method of farming) though.

Too bad, the game looked interesting.

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So first of all, a subscription ("premium") will be mandatory (see: Rift, Archeage). That's to be expected. However, you can also buy gold (the premium currency) in the store, which you can then trade for in-game currency.

This plus the Beta Trailer has me :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: all over the room.

It's almost as if these guys actually know how to make an MMO. Haven't seen something like this in 16 years. The message is the right one, now they just need to deliver.

bought epic founder

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i only played a little bit years ago, but isn't that EVE online's method?

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
It's almost as if these guys actually know how to make an MMO. Haven't seen something like this in 16 years. The message is the right one, now they just need to deliver.

bought epic founder

dude what
I am not suprised that RPGCodex doesn't understand RPGs. The only game that could potentially dethrone AO is http://www.das-tal-game.com/about-the-game

That's true patriotism! :salute: At least someone is supporting German MMO developers at the codex.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
That's true patriotism! :salute: At least someone is supporting German MMO developers at the codex.
The fact that they're german is just coincidential. I support them because they do real MMOs and there's currently a total of 1 released and functional real MMOs out there. This needs to change. Killing off WoW and its hellspawn is still top priority on my Elon Musk'que rich philantrophe global_master_plan.txt

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
The fact that they're german is just coincidential. I support them because they do real MMOs and there's currently a total of 1 released and functional real MMOs out there. This needs to change.

Hard to believe because there are actually a couple of other 'real' MMOs which are much better than AO/Tal: Camelot Unchained (ok, not playable right now), Shroud of the Avatar, Life is Feudal for example.

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
The fact that they're german is just coincidential. I support them because they do real MMOs and there's currently a total of 1 released and functional real MMOs out there. This needs to change.

Hard to believe because there are actually a couple of other 'real' MMOs which are much better than AO/Tal: Camelot Unchained (ok, not playable right now), Shroud of the Avatar, Life is Feudal for example.
Life is Feudal is, just as Camelot not released and not in a functional state. Shroud of the Avatar is another Star Citizen. CU is also not a Sandbox. (Which doesn't mean it's bad, it's just not an MMO)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom