Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Those screenies remind me how gorgeous the art is in this game.
Yeah. I really like how the computers/panels etc looked. Now and then just stopped to glare at the details.

Sodafish

Arcane
Nope. It looked like an abortion.

edit: OK, post I was replying to has been deleted. It was suggesting that Colonial Marines was good and worth playing.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
it would be a waste for an Alien fan not to at least give it a try.

No matter how true this statement may be, I'm not touching it. I've played more than a few Alien games in my time, and it's amazing how bad some of them are. Ever played Aliens: The Comic Book Adventure?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lighting and textures look slightly washed out as far as i'm concerned. Despite the great detail the engine has some Unity-like feel to me. Impressive considering this is an in house effort but i think at the end of the day something like Cryengine or UE4 would have probably been better for this game, sad to say.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You don't get a Unity vibe from this?

alien-isolation-dlc.jpg

I'm not saying the game looks bad, i just can't stand this pastel kind of thing modern games have going. I actually like muh realism, especially in terms of textures and lighting.

Ivan

Arcane

Alien Isolation has impeccable presentation. It looks great, it sounds fantastic, the atmosphere is fucking thick. It's the Alien's AI that I had issues with (Hard difficulty).

Ivan

Arcane
a lot of my frustrations stemmed from not knowing whether or not the Alien was going to come down from vents and if it did if it saw me or not. I guess I wanted more feedback built into the stealth. either it saw you and you're instafucked, or you didn't and you watch the clock or twiddle your thumbs until it it goes away. I wonder if in lower difficulties the shotgun is enough to "scare it away," IIRC only fire worked on Hard. the bugs didn't bother me so much, I had a funny one with the flamethrower.

Beowulf

Arcane
The shotgun only stuns it for 0,5 seconds and that's it. I was more frustrated by obvious tether between the Alien and the player in certain missions, but I managed to internally explain it and accepted it.

Israfael

Arcane
I don't really think a human is supposed to understand alien in the 'Alien' universe - it's an unknowable thing with its own motives, alien logic and quirks. Also, sometimes it looked like it was toying with me, so i supposed some of the strange things in A:I were made like this intentionally

Beowulf

Arcane
Nah, Hard is good, especially if you are doing only one playthrough.

On the other hand - if you are getting more frustration than enjoyment, there is nothing stopping you from dropping difficulty.

HansDampf

Arcane
Hard is what the devs recommend, isn't it? Play on lower difficulties and the xenomorph becomes too stupid to be intimidating.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The shotgun only stuns it for 0,5 seconds and that's it. I was more frustrated by obvious tether between the Alien and the player in certain missions, but I managed to internally explain it and accepted it.

I think I posted it in this thread already, but there's a mod around that supposedly removes the "leash" - http://www.moddb.com/mods/unpredictable-alien-mod .

Once I have some spare time, I'm thinking of replaying A:I with this.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hard is what the devs recommend, isn't it? Play on lower difficulties and the xenomorph becomes too stupid to be intimidating.

That's the case on Easy, but in my experience Medium is actually harder than Hard in areas where the Alien is deliberately kept on a very short leash, like Medical.

Medium difficulty does have the added bonus that the Alien is prevented from appearing until Medical. On Hard it can show up much sooner...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom