Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien vs. Predator 2. I don't understand the hype.

mountain hare

Scholar
I managed to get this game after hearing all the hype about it being one of the better classic FPS of all time. After reaching the Hive level while playing as an alien, I'm a little underwhelmed. The level design so far has been uninspired and linear, and combat simply involves clawing your enemies a few times. Yeah, it's cool to play as an alien, and the atmosphere isn't bad, but the game is just average.

What do Codexers think? Good game, or over-hyped?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Playing as alien is mostly fun when you do attacks together with your kin. Too bad such levels are very rare.
Playing as a predator is the most boring experience there as you basically have cheats like invisibility and infinite medkits - however it can be very fun at the same time too - watching poor humies running around in panic as you hunt them down.
However playing as a human is the most fun, due to the atmosphere much like that of the movies - a totally different experience from the rest of the game. Pretty creepy too. And yes it's linear - but it won't work in any other way.

jazzotron

Liturgist
Nostradumbass said:
playing as humans is the best bit imo. when you hear that little blip from the aliens coming closer but you cant see them..

MetalCraze said:
However playing as a human is the most fun, due to the atmosphere much like that of the movies - a totally different experience from the rest of the game. Pretty creepy too.

Definitely the highlight of the game - not to mention the familiar sound of the pulse rifle when you let her rip!

I didn't mind the movement mechanics of the aliens either - sticking to walls and ceilings. Very disorienting by the same token.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
The Alien campaign is, unfortunately enough, the weakest part of the play experience. I mean, don't get me wrong, the first level with the whole life-cycle and the escape from the compound is pretty cool, and works well, but that's all there really is to that third of the game other than picking up more of the over-arching story. Good wall-walking though, best I've ever come across anyway.

The Predator campaign is pretty fun in a Thief kind of way, actually, or at least I always thought so. You've got a pretty powerful bag of tricks at your disposal, but ultimately you're not very strong and you've got to learn to your tools together in an effective way to keep yourself going. You CAN try to just blow through the Predator levels as an unstoppable juggernaut, but you'll probably die a lot. In a way, the devs captured the Predator's habits from the films very well...it just makes for a somewhat obtuse game experience. Also, collecting skulls is fun no matter what. I love the Predator's laugh when he decapitates someone, it sounds like he's having such a great time.

I'm also gonna echo that the Marine campaign is the best part of the game. For atmosphere, tension, frantic action...they perfectly, perfectly captured the feel of Aliens. When I'm playing as a Marine, the game works at my nerves in a way that only System Shock 2 has otherwise. It is fairly linear, but it's a great play experience that hits all of the major points you would want out of an Alien franchise fps, and manages to tell a pretty good story too.

A flawed game, and perhaps overrated, but also a really good experience well worth your money. If they had made the damn AvP films like this then they would have been pretty great. Alas, alas...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vaarna_Aarne said:
AVP1 was still better.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... :D

It was a good game, but wtf?
Have some very nostalgic memories, don't you? ;)

Anyway, I liked all three campaigns pretty much, while the last two were mainly because they showed the story from other perspectives (I just love that, like in Fahrenheit) and had a very different gameplay.

Carceri

Arcane
thesheeep said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
AVP1 was still better.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... :D

It was a good game, but wtf?
Have some very nostalgic memories, don't you? ;)

The lightning/shadows system in AvP1 is better, making it a much creepy game. Too bad the campaigns are pretty minimalistic compared to the ones of the sequel, well, at least the originals are more challenging.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Carceri said:
The lightning/shadows system in AvP1 is better, making it a much creepy game. Too bad the campaigns are pretty minimalistic compared to the ones of the sequel, well, at least the originals are more challenging.

First of all, it's lighting, not lighNing.

And then, no, just no. I recently replayed both AvP titles (well I replayed 2 completely and 1 like half-way through) and AvP2 simply remains the first game where lighting was used to accomplish such a good atmosphere.
In times of AvP1, there simply was no technical way to achieve the same.

Carceri

Arcane
What are you talking about, how could AvP2 be the first one if AvP1 did the same thing(and better I might add) 3 years earlier? AvP2 has no flickering lights, no destroyable light fixtures and except some really few dark places it is too bright overall compared to the original.

You should do some PR for Bethesda, the game is from 1999, you make it sound like it's from the dark ages.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The general consensus is that AvP1 is better than AvP2, though not by much. Me? AvP1 is defintely the harder game to play through.

A valuable tip for playing through AvP2 as a human - turn off the music. The music acts as an early warning system, changing itself from moodgiver to AKTIONZ THEME! before the first Alien even appears on your motion sensor.

spekkio

Arcane
To people who replayed AvP2 recently: did you encounter any graphical glitches on modern hardware (dual core, new graphical cards)?
On my system (Athlon64 X2 + GF 9600) i noticed some weird graphical glitches - check this vidiya made with fraps (no shock prn, just this time).

I've consluted Google / AvP forums but found nothing.
AvP1 is supposed to be a bitch to run on new hardware, but works fine...

Destroid

Arcane
AvP1 was a lot more fun for multiplayer I felt, the difference between the races was more pronounced and the aliens were a lot faster.

The marine demo for avp1 scared the shit out of me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Carceri said:
What are you talking about, how could AvP2 be the first one if AvP1 did the same thing(and better I might add) 3 years earlier? AvP2 has no flickering lights, no destroyable light fixtures and except some really few dark places it is too bright overall compared to the original.

You should do some PR for Bethesda, the game is from 1999, you make it sound like it's from the dark ages.

Boy, are you drunk?
I never said there were no lights or lighting calculation stuff in 1999. I said AvP2's atmosphere is superior to the one of all other FPS games before, mainly due to lighting (and music/sounds).
And if a game in 1999 would have been released with the amount of polygons, lighting and other techniques AvP2 had, well... I just think not many people would have been able to enjoy it.
So, I probably used the wrong words. There may have been technical ways to do that (though I'm not sure about that!), but they wouldn't have been reasonable by any means.

I will make this simple:

AvP1:
avpf030_640w.jpg

avpf012_640w.jpg

AvP2:
ss_preview_aug315b.jpg

ss_preview_demo03b.jpg

Damn, is it hard to find any useful screens of both games o.O
Anyway...I can't see why anyone would claim AvP1 to have a better atmosphere... seriously.
Probably it was more challenging and stuff, yeah.

Talonfire

Scholar
Well in the case of AvP 1 versus AvP 2 I thought that the Marine campaign was creepier in AvP 1 (before the developers took over as the FMV Cast in Gold), but other than that I have to say that the sequel is much better. The campaigns are far more detailed, they're longer and Monolith generally fixed what was broken with the first game. That is to say that the races are actually balanced in AvP 2; although they did slow the aliens down a bit too much.

On the other hand the game looks a bit more like a comic book than a movie because of the cartoon-like LithTech Engine. That was a questionable decision on Monolith's part.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't remember there being any hype for this game. The campaign was ok, nothing special though. The death match was kinda fun for while thanks to the three races having radically different forms of gameplay, but that got old too, and the net code was pretty shitty. A "good" FPS in the vein of a Raven game but nothing more then that.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Lyric Suite said:
I don't remember there being any hype for this game.

No more than any other game from the late '90s, at least in terms of the advertising and previews. I recall a cover-photo write up in Computer Gaming World that ran about a dozen pages, but that wasn't too unheard of either.

The game does seem to have quite a following on the gaming news sites, which is, I think, where a lot of its nostalgi-hype comes from.

You're like eight years late. I don't remember there being much of a hype, if there was, the game would have been more popular online. Shame the net code sucked, but some modes of play were pretty unique.

That said, I'm not surprised you came out underwhelmed by this. This thing pretty much takes everything from Half Life, which means scripts galore and paints Aliens and Predator textures all over. What is unique is that it is basically three games in one, even though the campaigns vary in quality. The human campaign makes a major mistake early though - the very first level builds up nicely and ends on a climax never to be matched by any of the latter parts of the game. There's nothing quite like thrilling as escaping an alien hive awakening, with what seemed like a hundred bugs hunting you down. After that, it's mostly more of the same and more of the same until the very end. Pacing is off.

It was very decent a game. But it's 2001 material all around. For Alien/Predator fans only, really.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If you listened to me the first time I played the marine campaign, you could hear me repeat "Oh fuck, no!" every minute.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Gragt said:
If you listened to me the first time I played the marine campaign, you could hear me repeat "Oh fuck, no!" every minute.

Damned seriously, man. Pretty much right up until the end of the mission where you wake up the hive I was walking on nails. After that it turns into a more standard-fare shooter, but still manages to succeed based off of its atmosphere and near-slavish devotion to the Aliens formula.

I also really liked the little relationship that they develop between Frosty and the POV Predator. It's really scripted, but it comes across well, a lot of little run-ins at a distance, where you never know if the other is watching your back or going to take a pot-shot at you. It's really the way that a Human/Predator relationship should have developed in the films, none of this team-up bullshit.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Gragt said:

This. When you play the marine you feel like an insignificant human, hunted down by superior predatory species. They really managed to capture the ALIENS movie feel. The only bad thing is that these games gave birth to the crappy movies.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
ghostdog said:
Gragt said:

This. When you play the marine you feel like an insignificant human, hunted down by superior predatory species. They really managed to capture the ALIENS movie feel. The only bad thing is that these games gave birth to the crappy movies.

I'd blame the comics from the early '90s for the AvP movies more than anything. The earth setting, modern time period, crappy story-telling, human/predator team up dynamic, pointless fan-service, lack of comprehensible continuity/franchise respect. Pretty much everything shit about those movies can be traced back to the Alien Versus Predator comics that Dark Horse used to put out. Strangely, they did manage to put out some decent Alien comics and some decent Predator comics, but nobody has ever been able to put the two franchises together decently in a non-interactive medium.

Carceri

Arcane
spekkio said:
To people who replayed AvP2 recently: did you encounter any graphical glitches on modern hardware

Yeah, I bumped into a couple of glitches, both in single and multiplayer, but Avp Gold runs flawlessly. Speaking of which, I have nothing more to add to my previous posts, except maybe that the screens thesheep posted don't do much justice to any of these two games, obviously there is no huge technological gap between them and this vid clearly shows it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD3iGGdbB9s The terrifying illumination doesn't look reasonable by any means :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom