Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/05/winter-is-running-aliens-colonial-marines/#more-102673

I don't know. They certainly nailed the looks of it, but where's the much touted horror element? This just looks like another scripted, action-heavy bug hunt.

And those Aliens are just like in the recent AvP too slow and dumb. I think this game is gonna suck. Gearbox, you cannot into master FPS design a 'la Valve.

spectre

Arcane
Looks like CoD with aliens. Predictable. They're taking the easy route for a money grab here.
Also, hooray for QTE cinemati ackshun sequences. Can't get enough of those.

edit: is it me, or the whole aliens have acid blod that freaking hurts thing was dropped entirely? That or they're showing trailers of playing on god mode again.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Whatever, the guy that played the segment must have been playing it on console and/or be a retard. This whole thing has no intensity. And scripted events completely and utterly destroy the mood when designers implement it wrong. Monolith got it right with FEAR 1, but Gearbox just doesn't get it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Generic spess mahreen fragging aliens with a pistol like it was shooting fish in a barrel. I'd call it :decline:, but this is Gearbox we are talking about, so it's kind of expected to be shit. They are incapable of making good games.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Well, some of their games which names starting on the letter "B" are more than OK - Blue Shift or Borderlands. But yes, if the alien is slow and fluffy, then there is no alien at all.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Borderlands was total shit. Never played something boring as that. Even Hellgate: London was an exciting masterpiece compared to Boringlands.

BoA: Hell's Highway. Okay-ish scripted cover-shooter with sorty tiny maps. Overall, well executed, but totally forgetable.

Blue Shift. Bleh.

DNF. A friggin' nightmare.

Opposing Force. A Masterpiece, and the only excellent game GB ever created.

What else have they made?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't get the point of squad-based corridor shooters. Why would you want to have someone else kill stuff for you? There's no suspense or intensity to be found on those videos, it just looks slow and boring.

AvP2 was linear and scripted as fuck too but it still made you jump out of your chair many times when those fuckers dropped down from the ceiling or came through the walls or made your life miserable in some other way. They almost always came from behind you or above you and it was hard to avoid serious acid burns even with the motion sensor. I guess console controllers just are pretty much worthless when it comes to that kind of action, so now all the xenomorphs are right there in front of you waiting to be shot one at a time.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Meh, as long as it's fun. Since the cancellation of the Aliens RPG by Obsidian, I'm done expecting anything of quality from the Alien franchise, video game or otherwise, but it could be entertaining.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Now, come on... Hellgate...?! Borderland is co-op-funny, at least. And what is wrong with Blue Shift? Personal taste, I presume. Anyway, they made some HL strange console ports (like "Decay") and - of course - yes - that... thing... "DNF". After that, I'm afraid of any new game from them.

lightbane

Arcane
Meh, as long as it's fun. Since the cancellation of the Aliens RPG by Obsidian, I'm done expecting anything of quality from the Alien franchise, video game or otherwise, but it could be entertaining.

Aliens: Infestation is a relatively recent cool DS game, Metroid-style gameplay and semi-permadeath mechanics. Quite fun, the only fatal flaw it has is the very short duration.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll WATCH this on YouTube sometime after it's been released, but NO WAY am I forking over money for this.

Also, Derp with Aliens showing up on Smartgun HUD when they shouldn't. Don't show up on Infrared and stuff...

Sul

Savant
God that FoV. I feel like I'm seeing the world through a straw.
Why they do that? You can't even see the pulse rifle counter!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
At least the aliens in the mp video are fast and furious. Everything else looks lame.

And were are the aliens that get limbs shot off and still keep on crawling towards the player?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron

Aliens: Infestation is a relatively recent cool DS game, Metroid-style gameplay and semi-permadeath mechanics. Quite fun, the only fatal flaw it has is the very short duration.

Just looked it up and it looks nice. Thanks for the tip!

Anyway it could be fun to get it when it's discounted for the co-op.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This looks great, nice atmosphere and all that, but damn is it slow as hell (and not just the movement speed, the action itself). I imagine playing it would be exciting in a survival horror kind of way, except for the fact that the aliens themselves seem to be easy to gun down by the bucketload. Oh well, there goes any tension and suspense the game could have otherwise had.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I guess the FPS is more likely to sell more than the RPG, so that must have been the logical choice.

Phelot

Arcane
LOL I liked how at the beginning it looks like that bridge is breaking apart, but he keeps walking.

Anyway, it looks incredibly underwhelming. The fights with the Aliens almost looks like a railroad shooter like House of the Dead. It's like the player just stops and shoots at anything on screen without having to move.

EDIT: At around 3:40 did he not just shoot the legs of another marine? :lol:

MapMan

Arcane
Looks lame as fuck, not that I expected anything else. The only thing Gearbox made that I liked was OPFOR. Everything else, including blue shift, sucks donkey balls. I want this game and boringlangs 2 to be gigantic flops so they can finally go bankrupt.

PS: In any FPS game, control should never be taken away from the player. Never.

Gregz

Arcane
Thankfully we still have AvP1/AvP2

Also, if these were ported to consoles (fast and dangerous aliens), the player would just die. Even on easy mode. The keyboard/mouse interface is that superior. This is a non-negotiable, indisputable, total and complete fact.

What happened was, someone pitched an offer to Gearbox and said "make an Aliens game for consoles", after that their hands were tied to making this slow, plodding reskinned CoD.

Anything faster and the player would be fumbling their thumbsticks, shooting the walls, and shitting themselves.

And you guys can hate all you want on Borderlands, but I loved it. LOVED IT.

Gearbox has some folks who know what they're doing. If they need to sell out on a project like this to pay for Borderlands 2, so be it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom