Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Almost Alive - post-apocalyptic tactical action RPG

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Featuring "fast paced, tactical and versatile" real-time combat, destructible buildings, "6 archetypes with over 115 skills, 98 traits and madness each character unique", multiple approaches with "sneak, steal, talk, drug, throw, trap, lock-pick, barricade, breach", and "a crazy post apocalyptic world full of mutations and mysteries."

From a Bosnia-born developer living in France, who also consulted on This War of Mine.

ss_4340b6ab0c906fcaa00de9a393d5a83a8ec31f7a.jpg

ss_4433c5c61d6fdbcf28cedf66b8b8d2cd9f115b3b.jpg

ss_8f39083aa7114bb22d96389a8b30b26fca711602.jpg

AA_logo01.png

Almost Alive is a tactical role playing game in a mad post apocalyptic world with an awesome real time combat system! Forge your character physical and mental abilities by recovering your memories trough vengeance in a crazy post apocalyptic world full of mutations and mysteries and decide of the human kind fate after your brutal survival journey.

“Men had enough of money dictatorship, they decided to fight mass propaganda using capitalists tools of information warfare. To fight back, the leaders in the shadows released a virus that unfortunately mutated. To contain humans turning into beasts the established order used the final instrument: the world was ravaged by nuclear fire and any remaining form of life was struggling for survival.”

Features :
_Unique fast paced, tactical and versatile combat system : Use covers, traps and advanced tactics to fight smart opponents or reflexes and movement to fight swarm type mutant hoards.

_Multitude of approaches and huge replay ability : Choose who you side with or go fully solo if you’re a psychopath. Help, manipulate, betray allies, etc…

_Fully hand drawn 2.5D game : Every animation was drawn on paper, each draw scanned and reworked on computer, giving the game an unique identity!

_Make an unique build based on 6 archetypes with over 115 skills, 98 traits and madness making each character unique: Acts have consequences on the story but also on your character sanity.

_Destroy everything or sneak behind enemy lines : Sneak, steal, talk, drug, throw, trap, lock-pick, barricade, breach…

_More than 192 weapons, 106 armors ,18 throwables, 18 drugs, 100 items…

_Depending on collected funds :
_Epic arcade style boss battles
_An open and dynamic world including world events that unfold with, or without you
_Mad Vehicles for fastest world map movement but also to fight bosses.
_Full real time strategy squad commands with an advanced squad-based tactical AI
_Multiplayer and console portability

Day300_siten.png

I am Emir Cerimovic and Almost Alive is eight years of drawing, coding, game designing… all done by myself. I decided to make this game and have been drawing, animating, learning how to code, and building this game with passion to have all the elements and details I want.

Inspired by classic role playing and tactical games with high development standards like Fallout 1&2, Jagged alliance 2 or Wastelands, Almost alive was my dream of the perfect tactical role playing game with a great real time combat system that features character mental sanity as one of the core elements of the game. You can explore a huge world, make friends, use or steal them, find tons of loot, make traps, sneak, destroy everything, fight smart enemies or mutants using your character skills and abilities… The simple looking real time, fast paced combat system is hiding a highly complexe engine using tons of information from your character sheet, the objects your character is using and other elements like your character moral or his sanity in order to decide of timers for a successful aim, recoil of a weapon, the maximum accuracy when walking or running while gunning, the effectiveness of a cover, etc…

Coming to Early Access:

And do aware:

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“The game might stay in early access for a year and a half up to two years and a half, it will depend how much money and interest it generates and therefor how much features I will add overtime.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The full version is going to have a huge open world and hopefully a lot of mutants and bosses to fight. With the mutants the game-play will be more intense and the game will get it's survival feeling... I hope adding a team management, an advanced AI and much more!”

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Action rpgs depend really on good controls, variety and alot of balance stuff. Lesse if they can pull it off

Serus

Arcane
Patron
- "fast paced, tactical and versatile"
- "real-time combat system"

Either fast paced real-time OR tactical. The author of the game should make up his mind. One can make a good tactical real-time game but if the author insist on adding "fast paced" to the mix then it won't happen. Sure it might be pure buzzword-throwing but still it makes him sound retarded to me.
I'll pass for now.

ArchAngel

Arcane
- "fast paced, tactical and versatile"
- "real-time combat system"

Either fast paced real-time OR tactical. The author of the game should make up his mind. One can make a good tactical real-time game but if the author insist on adding "fast paced" to the mix then it won't happen. Sure it might be pure buzzword-throwing but still it makes him sound retarded to me.
I'll pass for now.
It is even worse, you can see the combat in the video above, it is fast paced but does not even have T from tactical in it. It is one of those top down shooter type games where you move with keys and aim with mouse and keep your shoot button pressed down all the time. Gameplay comes down to shooting endless numbers of enemies until you lose concentration and make mistakes.
Fuck this game.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I don't know what is worse, the fact that the game plays like an arcade or the yellow puke inducing UI

lophiaspis

Arbiter
It is even worse, you can see the combat in the video above, it is fast paced but does not even have T from tactical in it. It is one of those top down shooter type games where you move with keys and aim with mouse and keep your shoot button pressed down all the time. Gameplay comes down to shooting endless numbers of enemies until you lose concentration and make mistakes.
Fuck this game.

Could still be good ARPG though, I always wondered how would be a Falloutlike with realtime Diablo style combat. And it's not like we have a lot of games doing very good Turnbased, usually TBC in these games is mediocre or worse. Will follow this.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fuck this game.

Could still be good ARPG though, I always wondered how would be a Falloutlike with realtime Diablo style combat. Will follow this.
But this is not Diablo combat, this is those survive zombie hordes type combat except you fight other soldiers with guns.

Farewell into the night

I'm liking this. It's like an isometric first person shooter.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting, a more RPG-spiced take on Alien Shooter with a team?
Doesn't seem to belong in this forum, but might be worth a look anyway.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Looks like we have some sudden incline on our hands:

The game is early access so some stuff doesn't work and the combat right now is a bit hectic (although that depends on the build) but otherwise this thing seems to be pretty cool. And, despite not even featuring RPG in its tags, it is more RPG than roguelike - you're having quests and you can use persuasion skills to resolve them. You're having different personality traits (moar like psychosii) and they'll be also present in the dialogues.

The world is inhabited by different factions which will treat you differently. You can have party or try to do it solo - seems like you can even play it Arcanum-style with your cronies doing all the major work. You can bumrush or stealth through everything. And stealth options include stuff like cutting your path through wire fences, breaking through or barring the doors and windows, planting mines, etc. You can pickpocket, ofc. Pretty much everything that you'd expect out of a game like this is present.

And a character build system is somewhat monocled with lots traits and perks to choose from. Works closer to the skillwheel from HoMM V, though.

It looks weird and trashy due to its hand-drawn black&white characters but it's not that bad of a thing. It's also kinda edgelordy in its humour but I'm not sure if the Codex would mind it - seriously, the game is un-PC as fuck.

Now, I haven't had that much experience with the game yet so I'm not saying the game is the second coming - combat feels rather unpolished atm and it is a combat game first and foremost. But that's certainly something that seems to be worth codexian attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jinn

Arcane
Found out about this about a month ago. Seems like it could be promising, as long as it all comes together. The developer is definitely inspired by some great games, so we know he at least has good taste.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom