Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Centauri VS Europa Universalis 4 - Your favorite and why?

What's you favorite and why?

• Total voters

Silva

Arcane
Thread title.

In my opinion...

44.png

"Where am I? What place is this? Felipe! Are you there?"

45.png

44.png

"Hey? Who are you? Is this a joke? I was in the middle of unifying Spain and Austria. I must plunder the Aztecs. Let me outta here!"

miriam.png

"Oh Charles... "

(plays music )

"Did you really think you could get away after all the sins, injustice and evil you did? You massacred innocents, forged casus belli, raised your badboy just to provoke neighbours into wars. You would have laid with your son's wife if the engine permitted. But God watches us all. The day of reckoning have arrived."

"Sister Patience, are the staples ready?"

47.png

"Yes, Sister Miriam. The previous sinner was successfully saved, in the grace of God."

44.png

"Staples? Sinner? What does it it mean? Let me out of here! I'm a Habsburg!!"

48.png

"Uhh.... my.... lord..... char.... les"

44.png

"Felipe!! What they did to you? Oh my god, HELP!!"

miriam.png

"God won't listen to you, Charles. It's too late."

"Sister Patience, you may commence the proceedings my child."

47.png

"Yes, Sister Miriam.."

... Alpha Centauri is better. :)

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Fucking idiotic poll. I wish you'd suffer a fatal hemorrhagic episode while trying to fix your bleeding salty pussy.
These two games have almost zero in common.

Silva

Arcane
Woah, everybody on the SMAC train. I thought EU4 would receive a little more love.

Come on, SMAC haven't aged that well. It shamefully relies on horizontal growth, something most 4X have improved since then, and it has a couple easily abuseable mechanics (like crawlers and tree farms). Is Europa 4 really inferior to it gameplay wise? Or are people being sentimental here? (I know I am)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Woah, everybody on the SMAC train. I thought EU4 would receive a little more love.

Come on, SMAC haven't aged that well. It shamefully relies on horizontal growth, something most 4X have improved since then, and it has a couple easily abuseable mechanics (like crawlers and tree farms). Is Europa 4 really inferior to it gameplay wise? Or are people being sentimental here? (I know I am)
Other than being strategy games in the broad sense, there is little in common between the Civilization-type 4X subgenre in which Alpha Centauri resides (as a direct descendant of Civilization) and the historical grand strategy subgenre of Europa Universalis IV. Second, you chose for a competitor to Alpha Centauri a game from long after Paradox's glory days, rather than selecting EU II or Victoria.
Although it could certainly be improved in various ways, Alpha Centauri is the best Civ-type game and probably the best strategy computer game of any subgenre ever created.+M

Silva

Arcane
What a bunch of faggot snowflakes. So what they're not identical? Both provide strategical gameplay on turns so it's similar enough for me.

And I should have added Shogun 2: Total War to the poll, dammit.

Citizen

What a bunch of faggot snowflakes. So what they're not identical? Both provide strategical gameplay on turns so it's similar enough for me.

Completely different level of abstraction (individual unit/base control vs. less direct province/army control), different scale of actions (small-scale colony warfare vs. huge landmass and massive armies), turnmased multiplayer oriented vs. rtwp singleplayer oriented and so on and so on

Also EU games are not even 4x because they lack the exploration aspect

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom