Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol

Captain Shrek

Ok. So Chris Avellone takes the lead designer role for this game and delivers an above average game that disappoints on some fronts. But I guess you can blame consolization for that.

AP is a cinematic game, in a good way. There are a lot of cutscenes, that give it a movie like quality. But the VO is moderately good. Luckily the cutscenes are restricted to only storytelling/ pure dialogue regions and do not interfere with combat mostly. The gameplay reminds me of Hitman; the combat, exploration is similar and even the maps are designed in the same way with small, closed areas in mind: Airfields, Hotels, Embassies etc. I would hate to debate whether its an RPG or not as that seems to provoke unnecessary arguments. So I will stick to points I take as important.

1) RP elements: A 'Modern-day spy game' (sic). Lots of game mechanics that allows your character to be some combination of a stealthy, gun totting, groin-kicking, gadget using secret agent. There are a lot of choices in the game divided into Hard and Soft choices. Hard choices significantly impact emotional issues and political scenario. Soft choices determine small advantages/disadvantages in the battles or game world. They are actually well played out. Character advancement occurs through leveling. There are no attributes though. YOu get skill points (Action points) that are invested in skills. Further your actions in the game world define your character and give you appropriate perks. It can be fun for some to figure them out. Your character can adopt various attitudes that define their personalities. People will identify as such and thus will behave in a particular way. Essentially DA2 is a bad rip off of AP.

2) Plot: Now I am a filthy capitalist pig, so I disliked the plot. But you may actually like it if you are into this
rich people plotting to take over the world tinfoil bullshit. [\spoiler] The plot has some depth and twists. But not many. If you are a Tom Clancy buff you can see many a things coming a mile off.

3) Characters: Characters are very well designed with clear established personalities that you can ACTUALLY put to use! Heck, some of these are quite insane (yup, double entendre to those who played it). Tragically the interaction to these is limited to certain plot elements. They do give you side quests, but it would have been very refreshing to have more of these thus giving a better opportunity to interact with them

4) World: The interactable world is divided into two sets: your safehouse(s) and the missions. You interact with the world mostly through dialogue in missions or emails. The bad thing about this is that the world i not OPEN like in Deus Ex where you had comparatively more freedom to interact with NPCs that were plot irrelevant. I don't know about you guys, but this game could have had a lot more immershun if
there were fun characters that trigger small side quests (again like in Deus Ex).

5) Combat: The combat is slightly repetitive, but on Hard difficulty its fun. The camera being a behind the ass TPS, is shit. I personally favour an FPS camera for shooters. Other problems with the camera is that its very buggy. For me it hanged at quite a few moments disorienting me completely, resulting in WTF, WHERE AM I???!!! moments. Also, the game WILL punish you if you invest in purely non-combat skills. What's a good spy who can't shoot straight and quick draw after all?

6) Minigames: There are a few interesting minigames that make the game a bit challenging. They are EASY to mid hard for non-autistic humans, but have a steep learning curve. Trust me, if you have any difficulty with them, just be patient and and you WILL soon get hang of them. I believe that one of the reasons this game failed in marketing was because it was too difficult for retards.

7) Maps: Are normally like HITMAN games. There are quite a few covers available to dodge enemy attack and believe me, you will need them time to time.

8) Health: Is fortunately non-regenerating. There is a cool down on healing... 'potions'. But you have to buy these and though they are cheap, you will not invest much in them. Also the game has plenty of opportunities to heal in missions.

9) Gear: is customizable and related to several skills you can invest points in. Good gear can become too costly and does not give VERY powerful advantages. It is functionally possible to finish the game on only the starting gear.

VERDICT:

All in all it is a good game. It has a distinct potential to become a great game. I will heavily recommended it to you all to play at least once. For the nth time I see a good game spoiled by bad publicity. I sincerely think that only retards believe that it is a poor make (excepting the bug of course, of which I encountered only a few). I suggest that when you start you take your time to learn what different things can do and how to solve minigames and surely you will enjoy it.

Negative points:

As I mentioned earlier, the Camera.

Lacks some major skills: Its a fucking spy game and there is no skill for disguises! This would have seriously given an entirely new depth to the game. Also, some skills are OVERPOWERED. And they WILL be game breaking during boss-fights.

Story: Comes from a second rate paperback.

Humour: Humourless. They don't understand that Suave should mean Bond type one liners.

Captain Shrek

pocahaunted said:
I'm sorry, but the disgusting hacking mini-game, the wooden VO, cringe worthy dialogue and linear action based levels make for a very uninteresting game.

But I agree with you. :M

sick

Educated
Project: Eternity
Captain Shrek said:
disappoints on some fronts. But I guess you can blame consolization for that

not agreed. AP sucks mostly when it comes to technical side and level design - those can be easily achieved in console games. DA2 and ME2 suck (ok, ME2 didn't suck but wasn't masterpiece either) due to consolization - boring story, everything is simplified as hell, button mashing, AP "sucks" due to Obsidian being lazy and not good enough when it comes to some aspects.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
pocahaunted said:
I'm sorry, but the disgusting hacking mini-game, the wooden VO, cringe worthy dialogue and linear action based levels make for a very uninteresting game.

But I agree with you. :M

Yeah, well, except you consider it a good game whereas I couldn't stomach playing it for long.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
pocahaunted said:
I'm sorry, but the disgusting hacking mini-game,
What was so disgusting in it? That it was hard? It was challenging and I enjoyed it.

pocahaunted

Arcane
J_C said:
pocahaunted said:
What was so disgusting in it? That it was hard? It was challenging and I enjoyed it.

Hard? Try overdone, boring, and completely fucking annoying - i.e. I'd never want to waste my time with such as poorly implemented "minigame".

Heck, I pretty much hate most minigames, but some are somewhat tolerable. AP's aren't.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
pocahaunted said:
J_C said:
pocahaunted said:

Hard? Try overdone, boring, and completely fucking annoying - i.e. I'd never want to waste my time with such as poorly implemented "minigame".
So it was too challenging for you. Don't be ashamed to admit it. It happens even with the best of us. :smug:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Despite some major flaws (popamole, console-esque, action-driven, short, mediocre plot), I sort of enjoyed Alpha Protocol. That said, I doubt I'll play it again anytime soon.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
sick said:
AP "sucks" due to Obsidian being lazy and not good enough when it comes to some aspects.
Obsidian isn't lazy. However, they are grossly incompetent and inept.

And FFS people hacking is the only minigame that isn't piss-easy and you can completely circumvent it with EMPs, that's what they're there for.

One thing that does make all the hacking mini-games easier is putting skill points into Sabotage. (NOT Technical Aptitude; that's something else entirely.)

On the hacking game it will make it so the needed letters are always 6 characters long (making them easier to spot),slows down how fast the characters change place when security updates, increases the overall game timer, and can give you a second chance if you fail.

Same with the wire splicing. If you have no skill you will have to splice 7-10 wires, where someone who invested in the skill will have only 3-5 wires to cut. Again on these you get a longer timer, and a second chance with the right skill level.

Lockpicking is similar: Less pins, more time, and a second chance.

All that said... I'm not a fan of minigames either, so I used a lot of EMPs.

EDIT: At least they tied all that to a skill, unlike ME2. Even the Gamebryo games used skill just as a bar to entry (i.e. 25, 50, 75, 100 counts only) instead of something that made things easier or harder.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Minigames were alright, almost a good feature imho. And not always -that- hard.

For me, the problem with the minigames was that after a couple of instances of each type, they got repetitive and ultimately dull...

Yeah, less of them per map would have made them seem less tedious.

A majority of them were optional, but really... who here can pass up something like that?

A puzzle with a reward just screams out to be done, no matter how tedious sometimes.

I've seen much worse minigames than those in AP. And I actually enjoyed the hacking minigame because I thought it was a useful exercise for my eyes.
The inevitable thing about minigames though is that they ALWAYS get repetitive and in the end are nothing much past a distraction from the actual gameplay.
AP is not a bad game and it certainly has some fun things in it but with so many flaws it is hard to call it actually "good". It was appealing enough for me to play twice in a row though, so I can definitely say I liked it. In regards to writing though, I think some people sucked at reading the tone of the game, hence the complaints about cliched dialogue. Indeed it had many cliches, but I think it was very intentional. Game took existing cliches of the spy genre and had fun with them. So did I. No it didn't have a very good story (I've yet to see a game that does though), but it did have some fun dialogues and characters. That's pretty much most a reasonable person could expect from a videogame about spies. I don't know whether some people genuinely expected a deep thought provoking story from a spy videogame or they just think that bitching about cliches in the story makes them look smarter but either way I think it's stupid.

Heck, at least it wasn't yet another Tolkien-esque "save the world from the big bad guy and his faceless horde" fantasy game.

It's kind of sad that "fantasy" refers only to one specific fantasy these days.

I'd give any RPG a try if it's got a less used setting.

circ

Arcane
The main problem with the stupid mini games is that they're optimized for a console controller, not a keyboard and mouse. And although you can solve them, though the later ones require points in tech or whatever, it's just plain bad design. The whole game reeks of bad design: from the majority of areas, the yawn inducing, plot-hole ridden story, to characters, dialogue etc.

Silellak

Cipher
The worst part about the hacking minigame is that it revealed how lazy Obsidian was when it came time for the PC port.

Presumably, in the console version, the left analog stick is used for moving and the right one is used for aiming. So, in the hacking minigame, the left stick was used for moving the left cursor and the right stick was used for the right one. In the PC port, since the mouse takes the place of the "right stick"...that's how you move the right cursor. WTF? No. Bad, bad, bad design. Mice weren't meant to be used that way - arrow keys exist for a reason. But, changing the controls in the minigame from "mouse" to "arrow keys" would've been too much work for Obsidian, I guess.

:decline:

Silellak said:
The worst part about the hacking minigame is that it revealed how lazy Obsidian was when it came time for the PC port.

<snip>

But, changing the controls in the minigame from "mouse" to "arrow keys" would've been too much work for Obsidian, I guess.

Agreed, yeah... WSAD for left and Arrow Keys for right might have helped a bit.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
The Gentleman Loser said:
Silellak said:

<snip>

But, changing the controls in the minigame from "mouse" to "arrow keys" would've been too much work for Obsidian, I guess.

Agreed, yeah... WSAD for left and Arrow Keys for right might have helped a bit.

Oh, only the nine hells know how much I cursed the guy at Obsidian who did NOT come up with this very simple solution.

saenz

Scholar
Bah, AP was fun, primarily because the world needed an espionage RPG. The game itself though, kept giving you forehead smacking moments:

1. For a game that's primarily a stealth shooter, the stealth mechanics are weaker than the first Splinter Cell game (2002) and less clever than the first Hitman game (2000): no use of shadows, no "you're hidden" indicator, no shooting out lights, no hiding bodies, no taking disguises. Way to miss 8-10 years of innovation in the stealth genre Obsidian!

2. The skills are completely unbalanced. "Chain shot" and "shadow master" are all you need. Stealth kills are based solely on the stealth skill and not martials arts, so unless you like trying to kung-fu a room full of guys spraying you with AK-47's, martial arts is a wasted pick. Why do shotguns and SMG's even exist?

3. The AI is utterly retarded at times. My favorite example: I was coming around the corner of a circular fountain in a courtyard and a guard spots me. He begins tracing around the fountain clockwise, so I start going clockwise, planning to overtake him from behind. He hears me gaining on him, turns around, and starts going counter-clockwise. So I turn around and go counter-clockwise hoping to overtake him from behind. He hears me gaining on him, turns around, and starts going clockwise. So I turn around... Yeah, it was some serious keystone kops shit.

4. Despite the game having a one button, "roll/dive from cover to cover." The levels aren't really set up to support it. You'll be behind cover during a firefight, and you'll think you can combat roll to the next one, but 9 times out of 10, it'll end up being too far. The only time I can get that to work reliably, is on changing sides on a doorframe.

5. This ties into #3, but many of the boss fights can be won by combining level-design flaws and retarded AI. For the other ones, just use shadow master and chain shot. Here's how I beat the last two bosses:
The most aggravating boss is the fucking helicopter. Basically the level has cover and a bunch of single shot rockets that you're supposed to scurry around to, while fighting ground troops. Yeah, that's hard, good luck with that. Instead, find a spot where all the helicopter's rockets hit cover, while you have a clean shot with your pistol/rifle. Empty your mags, laugh/cry at Obsidian's failings, and move on to the final boss.
Shortly after that, you fight the final boss, a guy with either a minigun or a rocket-launcher, depending on how your C&C plays out. You start out on a hangar floor, and you're supposed to climb up to the guy's room and take him out at close range. Yeah, that's hard, good luck with that. Instead, chain shot to the head, dive for cover. 30 seconds later, chain shot is recharged, so I step out of cover, chain shot, dive for cover. After four times, you've won the game.

6. Despite what they tell you in the intro, with the crucial exception of one character, provoking someone to "hate" status is not beneficial.

I'm afraid most of those flaws are far beyond what a fan mod/patch can fix. BUT! They did make two big innovations that I sincerely hope other game dev's pick up on.

1. AP has the best dialogue mechanics I've ever seen. You do actually have to think about your conversation choices as opposed to the moronically obvious lines you get in a Bioware game. Insisting on always playing the "Paragon" or "Renegade" will work against you.

2. The levels are non-sequential, but impact each other. You'll get called out for doing a previous mission a certain way, or you'll be able to call in a favor from an ally you made previously. That's a huge improvement over your typical "each planet lives in a vacuum" model cRPG's tend to hold to.

Who knows, maybe ten years later, game devs may remember AP fondly for those two innovations.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might torrent it based on your review. I refuse to pay for a game that Avellone was in charge of on account of the fact that they might put him in charge of even more projects. I still regret buying that MOTB POS. :rage:

Silellak

Cipher
Mastermind said:
mm1.jpg

Codex said:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom