Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Exactly - that's why I was pretty surprised when those guys burst in and started mowing away with their uzis.

Also, the player isn't supposed to know it's an exercise, so even if we handwave it in our heads as rubber bullets, that's no help to my friend who's playing it for the first time. They could at least have had nightsticks or something instead.

That would require additional animation work for something they'd have no need for again. :M

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's more fun for me to imagine that Thorton has Wolverine's healing factor and that's why they picked him to be a secret agent.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
His health doesn't regenerate though, just armor.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Was it armor or his endurance?

...huh, they actually did call it endurance, though the number varied based on what kind of suit you were wearing. In addition to that, there were mods that actually reduced the amount of damage taken.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's both, actually, higher armour gave increased endurance.

Wish the game let me unequip guns though, barely used them anyway.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
OK, so I wanted to replay this to see about recommending it to a friend.
if you rly want to pop moles liek a BRO and minigame your way to glory, here's a handy guide:
===========================v1.337=============================
= 1eyedking's Fantastic ALPHA POPA- PROTOCOLS Strategy Guide =
===========================v1.337=============================

"Trustus Obsidianus"

IN OBISIDIAN
WE TRUST

==============================================================

Release Date: 14/06/2010
Version: Last.

Contents:
[001] 1. Introduction
[002] 2. Strategy: How to pop moles like a bro
[003] 3. Walkthrough
[004] 4. Credits & thanks
[005] 5. Legal stuff

Note: Use your search function in your browser/notepad to eas-
ily find the chapters in this guide without the need for endl-
ess scrolling.

[001] 1. Introduction

Welcome to my first guide! English is my first language so ex-
pect a lot of "could of been", "it's bether then this", "its
great!". If you have zero tolerance for that kind of ortograp-
hy, I urge you to stop reading and go to some of the other gu-
ides.

So, without further ado, the guide!

[002] 2. Strategy: How to pop moles like a bro

Pick Recruit. Pick all recruit lines to cancel 1/3 of the "pe-
nalties" of that clas- background: you'll get 10 AP points for
free! If you pick any other flavor, even better so you'll have
plus 20 AP for further mole-popping goodness. You won't be ab-
le to unlock Veteran, however: thats not very broish of you.

* Spend your points as following:

Pistols [15]
Tech Aptitude [15]
Toughness [15]
Sabotage [2] (only if you're new into the whole poppin' busin-
ess)

The rest wherever you want, it doesn't matter. Remember to pi-
ck Operative as you specialize and pick those three skills.

* Strategy:

Chain Shot > Brilliance > Chain Shot

When waiting for the appropiate cooldowns, hide behind cover
and either wait for cooldowns to end or pop the moles from co-
ver with your pistol without exposing yourself: you can still
aim while invulnerable in cover if you move the center of the
screen towards an enemy. The crosshair will pop up and all you
need to do is fire since Michael Thorton has an overdeveloped
sense of popamoling (probably the drugs that they put in you
during the beginning of the game).

[003] 3. Walkthrough

Follow these steps to complete the game:

1. Follow compass.
2. Kill everyone in your path as you go.
3. Tap Use key furiously when near objective.

If a dialogue screen pops up, don't worry: pick any option or
alternatively tap all keys furiously and you're good to go.

[004] 4. Credits & thanks

Me for writing it.
Obsidian for making my work on a guide easier.
You for reading it.

[005] 5. Legal stuff

(C) Copyright 2010 1eyedking Enterprises, RPG Kodex

Sega, Obsidian & Alpha Protocol are trademarks of their respe-
ctive corporation/studio.

All rights reserved.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

There are a few places where you absolutely need a gun to proceed, they can't allow you to lock yourself out of progressing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are a few places where you absolutely need a gun to proceed, they can't allow you to lock yourself out of progressing.
Think those spots had guns lying here and thereabouts, besides, surely one gun oughta be enough.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm currently replaying this on non-lethal, and if you haven't leveled guns and use base weapons, those spots are pretty much the equivalent of having no guns at all anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm currently replaying this on non-lethal, and if you haven't leveled guns and use base weapons, those spots are pretty much the equivalent of having no guns at all anyway.

My memory of this is extremely hazy, but I was referring to places where you absolutely have to shoot someone because there's virtually no way you can even reach who you have to get rid of with melee. What comes to mind is a(n optional) boss fight with Sie and a part where these guys show up on a platform.

Sannom

Augur
I fight the fight with SIE is the only which requires to use guns, all the others should normally be doable without any. You may be thinking of parts of the Omen Deng battle, and I don't think you need a gun to progress, it's just hard to get past him without firing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I fight the fight with SIE is the only which requires to use guns, all the others should normally be doable without any. You may be thinking of parts of the Omen Deng battle, and I don't think you need a gun to progress, it's just hard to get past him without firing.

I can't remember which hub it was but there's a part where you have to clear a room full of people. Once that's been accomplished, a platform full of guys with guns arrives and you're told that you have to take them out for the mission to end. They can't leave the platform and there's no way Thorton can actually reach it himself.

J1M

Arcane

I can't remember which hub it was but there's a part where you have to clear a room full of people. Once that's been accomplished, a platform full of guys with guns arrives and you're told that you have to take them out for the mission to end. They can't leave the platform and there's no way Thorton can actually reach it himself.
I don't remember the game well enough to know the exact situation you are talking about, but I completed alpha protocol without using a gun. The only time I was forced into something was using the rocket launcher on the tank at the start of the game. It was possible to complete the missions and boss fights with a combination of stealth kills and fisticuffs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't remember the game well enough to know the exact situation you are talking about, but I completed alpha protocol without using a gun. The only time I was forced into something was using the rocket launcher on the tank at the start of the game. It was possible to complete the missions and boss fights with a combination of stealth kills and fisticuffs.

I played it three times, and this sequence sticks with me pretty well.

Additionally, the only way to beat Darcy is with a gun (not necessarily your own since there's a rifle you can get to). Then there's the helicopter near the end.

J1M

Arcane

I played it three times, and this sequence sticks with me pretty well.

Additionally, the only way to beat Darcy is with a gun (not necessarily your own since there's a rifle you can get to). Then there's the helicopter near the end.
I only played it once, so maybe that section was optional or maybe it was possible to use stealth to trigger a takedown/cutscene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom