Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AMID EVIL - Heretic/Hexen-inspired FPS from the creators of Return of the Triad mod

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://elzee.co.nz/indy/

https://af.gog.com/game/amid_evil?as=1649904300

From the creators of Return of the Triad (total conversion for ZDoom), published by New Blood Interactive (of other Quake-inspired shooter DUSK).

ss_0e98cbcc71bcc0c8c7114a78697c760d686e72a7.600x338.jpg

ss_b816e5b56beb002b713af6bcd2fa0d72cb613ad4.600x338.jpg

ss_f2b4bd909b7b46be8053da8b442605cf02774ec4.600x338.jpg

The producers of DUSK and the creators of Return of the Triad invite you to embark on an EPIC new FPS adventure:
  • SEVEN distinct episodes each featuring a completely different setting and enemies
  • LUDICROUS magical weaponry that can be overcharged with the souls of the dead
  • BRUTAL and adaptive enemy AI that will hunt you down on land, sea and air
  • SPRAWLING non-linear levels filled with secrets and ancient lore
  • MULTITUDES of in-game options and cheat codes for a truly golden PC age experience
  • EPIC original & dynamic soundtrack composed by Andrew Hulshult
  • BUILT in Unreal Engine 4 for cutting edge visuals (even if they are a bit retro)
  • OPTIMIZED to run on a toaster (a pretty nice toaster)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So many promises of old school FPS gameplay, so many burns.

I hope they deliver, but i'm not going to go into hype mode until i see evidence of them delivering.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Hexen is one of my all time favourites. For some reason I actually prefer it to Doom. It's surprising that there have been very few attempts to replicate its style (though perhaps it's for the best...). Hope this one turns out well, although it's already a bit disappointing that there doesn't seem to be separate classes.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Not gonna watch a video with fags and douchebags (plus token gamur wombyn) talking constantly. How does the level design look? Skimming through randomly i get more of a Painkiller vibe. Also, visuals look pretty ugly, despite the Unreal Engine. Bright colors and those pixelated textures look pretty jarring. It looks like something made with voxels. Will this "retro" fad ever die? Just make the game look as best as you can with the resources you got, you fucking pretentious cunts. Making the game ugly on purpose doesn't make your game look more "artistic". Ugly is just that, ugly.

Last edited:

Zenith

Arbiter
Bright colors and those pixelated textures look pretty jarring. It looks like something made with voxels.
It's just like original Doom in 1979 don't cha know. Sigh, kids these days.
I actually like the weird (possibly unintentionally) inconsistent artstyle in Amid Evil. Remains to be seen if the actual game is any good though.

piydek

Cipher

At 1:00 minute mark: it's like Hexen, without the complex level design that went with it.

So basically it is not like Hexen or even Heretic at all.

Yes, that was extremely disappointing to hear. Level and encounter design is the essence of old-school FPS. You can't just make open spaces and throw tons of enemies at player, make it fast-paced and arcadey and say "it's old school". That's Painkiller, Serious Sam, new Doom, first new Shadow warrior - and that's something else than original doom 1/2, duke 3D, blood, dark forces, heretic, hexen, quake 1/2 and similar.

I've recently finished first episode of Dusk and I'm happy to say that although there's some open-space painkiller-like moments, the level design is really good, with keys and switches and secrets and "confusion" as this guy in the video says. I really like Dusk so for.

Unwanted

nodar

Unwanted
Shitposter

At 1:00 minute mark: it's like Hexen, without the complex level design that went with it.

So basically it is not like Hexen or even Heretic at all.

Don't be a tard, he never said that the game won't have 90s FPS level design. He just said that it won't have Hexenish level design, ie interconnected levels with puzzle solving. I reckon that most people will like that, given that "puzzley" maps were what most people hated about Hexens.

I see no issue with artstyle either, and neither would others if they were familiar with modern Quake mapping scene, ie crazy complex geometry combined with low res textures. See something like Arcane Dimensions, it actually... works. I suppose that texture filtering will be an option, making the game look like something from late 90s which should solve the problems for those complaining about "inconsistency". This actually looks like Arcane Dimensions turned into full fledged TC with a proper connected campaign. And that is fine by me...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's not low res textures, it's 1996 res textures. Quake was made to look as good as possible with the resources of its time, and sorry, but this shit looks like a million times better than anything in this game:

ad_zendar_v2c.jpg

I'll grand your point regarding level design, but i don't remember the Codex having that positive reaction to Dusk either though. Was the level design in that even as good as Heretic?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Coming to Early Access next week. EA version will have three episodes and this endless mode:

Publisher New Blood Interactive and developer Indefatigable announced today that the Heretic-styled throwback AMID EVIL will scorn its way onto Steam Early Access next week for $20: http://store.steampowered.com/app/673130/AMID_EVIL/.

AMID EVIL's fast-paced and over-the-top action is a modern throwback to games like Heretic and Hexen. Yanking players back to a truly golden PC-age experience, AMID EVIL hosts savagely violent enemies and insane magical weaponry like tridents that shoot high voltage mystical electricity and katanas that expel enough force to mow down several enemies at once.

Brutal new footage released today introduces the endless mode gameplay, Hordes of Evil, which pits players against insane enemy AI. Hordes of Evil is included in the Early Access version of the game, which grants players three of the final seven campaign episodes. Each episode boasts different environments and enemies, as well as multitudes of in-game options and cheat codes.

Created with Unreal Engine and optimized to run on a toaster (a really nice toaster), the game sports a dynamic and remarkable soundtrack by Andrew Hulshult (Rise of the Triad, DUSK). AMID EVIL will unleash its full fury later this year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom