Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amnesia: Rebirth - sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent set in the desert of Algeria

Venser

Erudite
Strong Penumbra vibes but might be a new IP.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://frictionalgames.com/2020-03-frictional-games-announce-amnesia:-rebirth-coming-autumn-2020/

Frictional Games announce Amnesia: Rebirth. Coming Autumn 2020.

March 6, 2020

Ten years ago Amnesia: The Dark Descent heralded a new generation of horror. Five years ago, SOMA took us to fresh depths of terror. Now, steel yourself for the next nightmare as we at Frictional Games prepare to release Amnesia: Rebirth this autumn. A new story set in the world of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Rebirth represents yet another evolutionary leap for Frictional games, challenging players to remain calm in the face of unimaginable terror.

Get a glimpse of what’s to come in today’s announcement trailer and first in-game images.

Amnesia: Rebirth is a new descent into darkness in the iconic Amnesia series. Set in the desolate landscape of the Algerian desert, the game will focus on new character Tasi Trianon as she sets out on a harrowing journey through devastation and despair, personal terror and pain, while exploring the limits of human resilience.

You can’t let out a breath. The creature is only inches away. Its sole purpose – to feed off your terror. And so you crouch in the dark, trying to stop the fear rising, trying to silence what lies within you.

Retracing Tasi’s journey and pulling together the fragments of a shattered past will be the only chance to survive the pitiless horror that threatens to devour you. Time is against you. Still, you must continue, step by step, knowing that if you fail you will lose everything.

Amnesia: Rebirth is scheduled for release in autumn 2020 on PC and PlayStation 4. Wishlist on Steam in order to follow along with the updates as they are released.

Follow Amnesia: Rebirth Frictional Games’ social media, or amnesiarebirth.com.

About This Game
You can’t let out a breath. The creature is only inches away. Its sole purpose - to feed off your terror. And so you crouch in the dark, trying to stop the fear rising, trying to silence what lies within you.

“I know you. I know what you're capable of.”

In Amnesia: Rebirth, you are Tasi Trianon, waking up deep in the desert of Algeria. Days have passed. Where have you been? What did you do? Where are the others? Retrace your journey, pull together the fragments of your shattered past; it is your only chance to survive the pitiless horror that threatens to devour you.

“Do not allow yourself anger, do not allow yourself to fear.”

Time is against you. Step into Tasi’s shoes and guide her through her personal terror and pain. While you struggle to make your way through a desolate landscape, you must also struggle with your own hopes, fears, and bitter regrets. And still you must continue, step by step, knowing that if you fail you will lose everything.

• First-person narrative horror experience
  • Explore environments and uncover their histories.
  • Overcome puzzles that stand in your way.
  • Carefully manage your limited resources, both physical and mental.
  • Encounter horrific creatures and use your wits and understanding of the world to escape them.

System Requirements
Windows
Mac OS X
SteamOS + Linux

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Core i3 / AMD FX 2.4Ghz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: OpenGL 4.0, Nvidia GTX 460 / AMD Radeon HD 5750 / Intel HD 630
    • Storage: 50 GB available space

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
A bit disappointed too, would've really loved for Frictional to keep coming up with fresh IPs. Loved Amnesia, especially when it came out, but it feels like a step back in some ways.

But, I have a lot of faith in these devs. Hopefully it'll be a great game.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The title makes it sound like a remake.

If I'm not remembering it wrong, the sales for SOMA were a bit disappointing for Frictional. We know they have a second, non-horror game in development (presumably an adventure game), so I wonder if they thought they needed the sales from an Amnesia sequel in case the other game ends up being a commercial disappointment.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The title makes it sound like a remake.

If I'm not remembering it wrong, the sales for SOMA were a bit disappointing for Frictional. We know they have a second, non-horror game in development (presumably an adventure game), so I wonder if they thought they needed the sales from an Amnesia sequel in case the other game ends up being a commercial disappointment.

More likely, they just made an original horror game they always wanted and then slapped the Amnesia title on it for brand recognition.

Also, SOMA was a financial success. A slow burner, but a success nonetheless.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...s-of-amnesia-waited-10-years-to-make-a-sequel

First details on the follow-up to the cult-classic Amnesia: The Dark Descent, coming to PS4 this fall.

Thomas Grip Creative Director, Frictional Games

The year was 2009, and Frictional Games was in crisis. We were almost out of money, and it was running out fast. We had lots of ideas for innovative systems and puzzles, but they weren’t working out. Rash decisions had to be made.

“Screw innovation! Let’s just make the scariest game we possibly can.”

With this, Amnesia: The Dark Descent was born. And it took off beyond our wildest dreams. The game became a byword for narrative horror, and is still a staple of Let’s Plays and livestreams today.

Now, a decade later, we want to return to those roots. We want you to experience the thrills, chills, and creeping dread of the world of Amnesia in a brand new story.

I’m proud to be able to finally reveal:

Amnesia: Rebirth
What is Amnesia: Rebirth? A new protagonist, a new setting, a new story, but built on what we learned from the original game. No gimmicks. No inventing something completely new. This is Amnesia.

That doesn’t mean that we’re just doing more of the same — in horror, repetition is a deadly sin. You need to keep players on their toes at all times. We’ve had to twist expectations, refine old features, and up the ante on everything you’ve seen from us.

As you might expect from a Frictional game, we’re not simply going for a carnival attraction of jumpscares. Amnesia: Rebirth is an emotionally harrowing journey — something different, something less predictable. It will test you in ways you haven’t experienced before, and will make you think about the things that really scare you.

When Amnesia: The Dark Descent came out, we loved to hear the player feedback that said people couldn’t get through the game because they were too scared to continue. But, these days, simple horror isn’t enough. We want to take you beyond horror and out the other side — and see whether you’ll stand the weight of what we put you through.

Amnesia: Rebirth will be available later this year. Let’s see if you can bear it.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...s-of-amnesia-waited-10-years-to-make-a-sequel

Why the Developers of 'Amnesia' Waited 10 Years to Make a Sequel
Frictional Games is returning to the universe that put the studio on the map, with the focus on making a good horror game, instead of worrying about being revolutionary.

You can’t talk about the modern horror game without talking about Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The 2010 cultural milestone stripped players of their favorite tool—weapons—and asked them to instead run and hide. The whole time, they were slowly being driven to stark, unreasoning terror.

Frictional Games passed on the opportunity to immediately make a sequel to Amnesia, tasking Dear Esther developer The Chinese Room with a spin-off, 2013’s now seemingly underrated A Machine for Pigs. Their next game, SOMA, came five years after Amnesia. SOMA was a bold and frightening slice of sci-fi horror with an ending that’s stuck in my brain for too long.

Now, a decade after The Dark Descent, Frictional is returning to the world of Amnesia with a proper sequel, Amnesia: Rebirth. We don’t know much about Rebirth, except that it takes place in the same universe, while focusing on a new character, Tasi Trianon. Set in Algeria, it appears players will be retracing Tasi’s footsteps and figuring out what they were up to.

I had a chance to spend a few minutes chatting with Frictional co-founder and creative director Thomas Grip earlier this week, and I teased a few details about Rebirth out of him. Most of our conversation, however, was about the big changes Frictional has undertaken since Amnesia blew up, what it’s like to give up micromanagement, how he’s handling Amnesia fans becoming Amnesia developers, and what lessons have been learned about some SOMA players being turned off by the game’s scary enemies.

This interview has been edited for clarity.

VICE Games: Congratulations on the announcement. Sounds like it's been a long time coming.

Thomas Grip: Yeah, it feels like I've been out of the loop. It was really nice doing it now because it felt like “Wow, I’m a game developer. Not just an armchair game developer who releases ports.” It felt good answering questions from fans about an actual upcoming game. It’s great. So it's great to be back! We hopefully will do this more often now.

It's really bad if you go by the announcement for SOMA, which was almost seven years back? Wow, bad! So hopefully now that we have two projects going at the same time we will be releasing like every two or three years, which feels more normal. You can keep your sanity better that way, I think.

VICE Games: I know after SOMA, you announced “Hey, we're gonna do multiple projects, see if we want to stretch our wings and do something that's not just horror.” Was some of the last couple of years, what's taken longer, just figuring out what the identity of Frictional is?

Yeah. Totally. The whole two project setup has been hard. Just having team members who've got a new role and having to fill out any holes in their experience and so on. These things are [complicated]. You think “you’re only going to handle this and this is going to be hard,” and it turns out things that were hard were easy and [there’s] a gap that you didn't anticipate and “oh, shit, we have to give them more experience in this.”

And also in the beginning, I've had really a hard time being having the right amount of hands on, hands off. Because if I were too hands on, people who are taking over certain positions I [previously] had would be like, “oh, I’m not going to do anything unless Thomas says so.” I've been trying to control that. So it’s just been lots of stuff.

But there's also the typical game development. When we sit here in a room talking about how we're gonna make the game, [an idea] sounds awesome. And then three months down the line: “What are we thinking?!” That's a lot of the things that you have to go through in order to get a good game. Really, just understanding what you have and what you want to achieve. Both of those questions take a long time to answer.

VICE Games: When I was reading the PlayStation Blog entry that you had written for the new Amnesia, there seemed to be a tone of “we don't need to like revolutionize horror to make a new game.” Given how big of a deal Amnesia was and all the expectations that went into SOMA , there seemed to be a bit of...maybe not identity crisis, but a pressure of “oh, if we make a new game, it has to change horror.”

Yeah. One thing that we sort of did for SOMA—I remember this specifically during development—was that I knew that people were expecting a really good horror game. A lot of on my mind—and I think from the entire team— was “Is it scary enough? Is this going to be the new water lurker moment? And so on. That's extremely restrictive because what you want to be doing is that you want to make a game and then you want to say, “okay, what sort of game are we making?” And then roll along with that, instead of working against what you're doing. It's a weird creative process.

So that's one of them. But then there's also, as you said, when Amnesia came out, there were very few games that had weaponless combat. I don’t know—Clock Tower and so on.

1583868862034-amnesia_rebirth_trapped.jpeg

A very dark screenshot from Amnesia: Rebirth. All the screenshots are dark.

VICE Games: It was a pretty obscure list of games.

Yeah, and then games that didn't have room [for combat] were like adventure games, and a lot of mystery games. There were lots of horror games, but not like we had, that sort of mix.

We went into this now slightly worried that people are going [to go] “Oh, what we going to see gameplay-wise now with Rebirth is going to be completely revolutionary!” And that's not going to be the case. Whereas what we've done with Rebirth instead is that we looked at “Okay, what's the foundational elements that we know, in terms of enemy encounters and so on?” And then try to make those as good as we can. And then a lot of the “revolutionary” stuff is going to be on a higher level, similarly to SOMA.

But I certainly think that's what you want to be doing in horror. If you look at interesting horror movies over the years—it wasn't one of my favorite movies but Hereditary, for instance, there were a lot of things [going on in the story]. Or Babadook, which I did like. It's a very plain horror movie, but then it has a higher level thing that elevates it beyond. “Oh, this feels fresh!” Even though if you just state “okay, what happens in this sort of ghostly moment…”

VICE Games: A monster in a closet that haunts some people in a house is what Babadook “is,” but it's clearly a movie about motherhood.

Yeah, exactly. Similarly in Rebirth, obviously I want these things, like the monster encounters. Players who played Amnesia shouldn't go in and it’s all the same again—that needs to feel fresh—but it's not gonna feel revolutionary. Where I think we're doing really interesting things on a higher level beyond that with the themes and what the longer play times is going to reveal, similarly to how we did in SOMA, really. It's very hard to say “Okay, tell me moment to moment, what's special about SOMA?” Not that much! The special things come over two or three hours, that's when the game really starts working.

VICE Games: Did this project always start as “we want to revisit Amnesia, that it's been so long that we're ready to go back to that world?” Because you handed off the follow up to Amnesia, A Machine for Pigs, to a different developer. Or did you discover over time “actually, this is an Amnesia project. Instead of running away we should lean into it.”

No, we started wanting to make a sequel to Amnesia. But I think there was a lot of initial discussions on what that meant? We didn't know how big is this project going to be. I knew we wanted to start with Amnesia because that felt like we [had] at least enough foundation [to work with], but we didn't want to go totally crazy with one of our new projects. The other project is more crazy, but more on that down the line.

But then then there's always like, “okay, what do we want to embrace from the old games? What do we want to remake?” and so on. A lot of the tinkering and back and forth and prototypes and so on went into that before we determined that “okay, yeah, with this enemy encounters and so on” or a foundational element [from Amnesia] can stay sort of the same— and then we're going to build on the higher levels. That took a while to to actually nail down.

We went in knowing it would be an Amnesia game from day one.

"We went into this now slightly worried that people are going [to go] “Oh, what we going to see gameplay-wise now with Rebirth is going to be completely revolutionary!” And that's not going to be the case."

VICE Games: When you decided that, did you go back and play the original game? How often do you revisit The Dark Descent?

I know that a lot of team members revisited it. I'm not sure. I think I did? This is so long ago. Did I revisit it? It's hard revisiting in those games a bit, Amnesia especially, because one thing is that we were a small team developing it, so you're sort of hating it at the end of it. There’s no QA team or anything like that, so you’re just playing it and playing it.

And then Let’s Plays took off after, which was fun to look at. So I've just seen this game so much. [laughs] Even though it's a long time ago now, I’m like “Should I play it again?” But no, I played it. I played it through a bit. We did a Switch port not too long ago.

VICE Games: Are you able to appreciate what went right with that project? Separate the feeling of “Oh, I’m done with this. We were a small team. We didn't have resources. I want to move on to the next thing.”

Yeah, I can totally. When I said “I hated it,” I don't hate the game. It sometimes can be annoying. Amnesia [is] not as bad as Penumbra; for a lot of reasons that that game is worse, But for Amnesia, it's okay, even though I don’t do it on a regular basis.

But I think that as a game developer, it's fairly important because the projects are so long. You really have to like what you do in the end. If you're making a multiplayer game, you can have fun developing it. I think it was from the Double Fine adventure game documentary, where they said “there's no one staying in the office playing the game late” like you would have in a multiplayer shooter [because] it’s just so fun. The process of playing your game during development is just not that pleasant as it would be for other genres.

So when you actually finish it, you have to sit back and really just like what you've done. I have a very strong sense of that. I can see [that] “it's gonna be so great when I reach this,” and I can get a lot of satisfaction from that long after.

1583869336149-ss_d2fa7284b9610be9655700c6fa60bf44f7affce8.jpeg

This screenshot from SOMA is also dark. Noticing a theme?
VICE Games: I have to imagine, given the distance between then and now, that some members of the team on Rebirth were fans of Amnesia, and then came to work on the sequel.

It’s been good. Many have been coming in as fans, and have even made games themselves that were inspired by Amnesia. The thing that's the hardest is that they put so high demands on themselves that you have to like, “oh, it's okay if things are not perfect.” Because they come in like I would if I was making, I don’t know, a Mario game.

VICE Games: It’s holy ground to them. This is something that means a lot to them, and then suddenly, they're the one making the canonical sequel, not a fan mod.

It's been a lot of just making sure [I’m saying] that “you're doing great work here, relax, now you are the ones that are in control of this” and so on. And I think there's been a lot of people coming in feeling that pressure and you have to sort of handle that in various ways. Which is also one of the things that I didn't expect coming in—handing off certain positions to other people and so on. I’ve learned a lot from that process and [it’s been] been very interesting coming into it like that.

VICE Games: It sounds like you've adapted more managerial roles just because the studio's gotten bigger and you're managing multiple projects. Does that mean you have had to make peace with letting other people make big creative decisions?

I’ve had to drop certain micromanagement bits. In the beginning, that was really, really hard, but I've managed it and I think that we've done a lot better from it. One thing that's been an issue with the previous games [is that] I can be extremely like “I want a part in every single bit.” And I remember from working on some SOMA levels that many artists then later on said that “well, I'm not sure why I'm doing this but Thomas told me, therefore I am.”

Now we've given people more freedom and more ownership out of the levels, and then they're not placing this thing because someone tells them to, they’re placing them because they know why they should be placing it. I think this has done a tremendous boost to the quality of our levels. Because previously, there's been [a situation where] I said something and then [the team goes] “Okay, Thomas has some master plan for this.” Especially when it comes to early designs and so on. And people went along with it.

But now that there has been a lot of people involved in the design process, there has been much more afterthought and people have thought through it. It's like “should we really do it like this? Couldn't it be better if we could do it like that?” In early versions, people can play through a very rough box of the level and have opinions on that, even though it's not playable. “Shouldn't this corridor be longer? Could we make these rooms bigger? Could we change how the enemy interacts in this room?” So I think that's been a huge boost, and I think that's going to show in the final game. We have way better gameplay flow and so on than we have had before.

Me letting up some of that dictatorship, which I've been unable to in the past, has, in the end, just made sure that the ideas I come with are properly vetted and made better. So it's really a big team effort putting everything together, and I really enjoy that. And I think that's a huge boost for the game when it's released.

VICE Games: I know something learned in the post-release period of SOMA was people's reaction to the enemy encounters. Eventually, there was a fan mod that either removed the enemies or made them so they couldn't kill you. And then you later added a different game mode, a kind of story mode, so that people could just progress through. What did you take from some of people's reaction to SOMA and then coming to Rebirth , in terms of the player's relationships with enemies in a horror environment?

A lot of the enemy encounters from SOMA are there partially because we knew we had to make a horror game. As I said at the start, we had [feeling of] “how is this going to be the next water lurker moment?” and so on. It felt like if we didn't have that, we somehow failed the fan base because some people were expecting that. We added it without thinking if [it was] properly what the game needed. as well. I think that's the biggest takeaway from that.

We should think about and be careful of what sort of game we’re making. Rebirth is going to be way more—the enemies make sense there. You can’t just remove enemies that are deadly in a way because that wouldn't make story-wise sense. So it's much more connected to the narrative. I think that the best version of SOMA is one with the enemies because that gives a certain amount of dread. But I still understand that some people didn't like that, from the frustration or whatnot. They were too scared and just wanted to enjoy the story. [It] was this less clear cut; they [the monsters] were there because they were more like an ambient thing.

But now they're much more integrated into gameplay, so that's totally something that we've been thinking about going through. I'm not sure if we're going to add another mode. With SOMA, it was almost obvious after the fact that a safe mode would be good, but I'm less sure [with] Rebirth if that's gonna fit. I'm almost thinking we want hard mode again like we did with the previous one. [laughs] Or something completely different that goes in some other angle.

I'm not sure, but it's always hard to judge how people are going to react and play it. You think that oh yeah, everyone wants to play it like this,” and then there's a big bunch of people that are playing some way you didn't imagine. We just want to wait and until after release and see. But there's nothing planned at all, just ideas thrown about.

But I really don't feel like safe mode [makes sense]. It's not a game where I can just just remove all enemies and it's gonna work, similar to how SOMA worked. That idea fits. Here, it’s more like it's more like “shit, I can’t really see that.”

VICE Games: Is there any specific sort of influence on the original idea for Rebirth? Or was it purely just “let's revisit that world and see where it takes us?”

There have been a multitude of inspirations for it, but I can’t really go into them all because that would be a bit spoiler-y.

VICE Games: There used to be this interviewer trick with Shigeru Miyamoto. You would ask him what his latest hobbies are, what he does when he’s not playing video games, and it would almost always be some sort of predictor. One of the most famous examples was when he loved gardening—and years later there’s Pikmin.

The game is a mixture of, as I said, taking a foundation from Amnesia, see what we can use and what we don't want to use and building upon with other stuff. But I think honestly, to a certain degree, that SOMA is a slight inspiration. I'm saying this with a big fat disclaimer: I don’t want people to [believe] this is a SOMA sequel in a way, because it’s not. The philosophical subjects and so on are very different and the game is gonna play out very differently.

But something we thought about—you mentioned it earlier—was figuring out what the studio stands for. What’s the studio, now that we're branching into two projects, we're becoming bigger? We need to [think about] “what are we?” And the thing that popped [into our] head is that we want to make games that make people afterwards consider life. I know that's a grand thing to say. But with SOMA, people think about different things in ways they didn't think they would, and we want to do something similar with Rebirth as well. Coming through it, you should see life in a different way.

That’s our grand, shoot-for-the-stars goal, but we’ll see if it happens. That, at least, is a big inspiration for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Amnesia [is] not as bad as Penumbra; for a lot of reasons that that game is worse,
Wonder what he thinks those reasons are. For a lot of people who played both, Penumbra is better.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/with-amnesia-rebirth-frictional-games-wants-to-go-beyond-jump-scares/

With Amnesia: Rebirth, Frictional Games wants to go beyond jump scares
The horror studio is trying to avoid "low hanging fruit" for the sequel.

Amnesia is returning with a new protagonist, a very different location and presumably plenty of opportunities to be chilled to your core. Frictional Games spent months teasing the reveal of Rebirth, which of course just ended up leaving us with even more questions. You'll have to unravel the mystery yourself later this year, but in the meantime I've squeezed some more details out of the developers.

Set nearly a century after the first game, The Dark Descent, Rebirth traps Paris-born Tasi Trianon in the middle of the Algerian desert during a work trip, all alone and without modern conveniences, or even the conveniences of 1937. Being stuck in the desert will likely feel like a holiday, however, compared to what Rebirth has in store for her.

"She’s not a soldier, or an investigator, or any kind of action hero," says creative director Thomas Grip, "just an ordinary person caught up in a horrible situation and, given this is a Frictional game, things are unlikely to get better for her any time soon."

This is an Amnesia game, so of course Tasi isn’t just lost in the desert—she’s also lost her memory. Frictional didn’t impose any restrictions on story ideas, but memory loss had to be part of it. Like her predecessor, Daniel, she’s also being stalked by creatures. Several of them.

"It’s safe to say that Tasi is going through a shitty time in this game," says creative lead Fredrik Olsson. Frictional isn’t giving much away about the monsters, but they’ll each behave differently. And if they get you, or if you fail the game some other way, Olsson says there will be "tangible and long-term consequences."

Despite its penchant for making YouTubers scream, the first Amnesia took a restrained approach to jump scares. A glimpse of a monster, a door suddenly slamming shut—there were a fair number of occasions where you might have needed a fresh set of pants, but it wasn’t gratuitous. For Rebirth, Frictional’s making even more of an effort to not go for the easy scares.

"Players are now very used to the simpler tricks, and generally all low hanging fruit that you can use to make a game scary," says Grip. “We tried to avoid all of that during this period of development and to twist player expectations when possible."

It’s not a kind of horror where there’s much left to explore, according to Olsson, who believes that games like Firewatch, What remains of Edith Finch, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and other not strictly horror affairs have paved the way for more emotionally resonant games with a strong narrative bent. Long-form, psychological, existential horror is what Frictional is aiming for with Rebirth.

"I think possibly the other big influence on this game has been our own experiences of working on SOMA," says writers Ian Thomas. "It showed the studio that we could make games with a longer-form story, that builds up its horror over time rather than concentrating just on moment-to-moment gameplay. It freed us up a lot when considering how to put this game together."

Rebirth is directly connected to The Dark Descent and has sprouted from some of the first game’s unexplored lore, but it doesn’t have a story connection to SOMA. Structurally, however, you can expect some similarities. It won’t be scaring the pants off you straight away, instead building up the tension for the first few hours until it reveals just how up shit creek you are.

"SOMA not only gave us the tools to do this, but also gave us the confidence,” says Grip. “It is very common that you want the core of the game to be easily describable as a moment to moment gameplay loop. It is much harder to digest when the core is spread across a longer period. I don’t think we could have done what we do in Rebirth without having done SOMA first."

Mechanically, Frictional’s still using the first Amnesia as a foundation—you explore, solve puzzles and hope that you don’t run afoul of a patrolling monster—though apparently it’s approached some things differently to give the formula a refresh. The specifics of the tweaks are still a mystery, but according to Grip the team’s also working to make the puzzles very different from one another and give monster encounters different twists.

One of the more overt changes is the jump from haunted castle to a much broader locale. We got a brief glimpse of some of the environments in the trailer—some of which are places referenced in the last game—and Olsson says they’re more diverse than the studio’s previous games. Where The Dark Descent was more uniform, "in the way it was closed-in and basically the same environment evolving throughout the game." Rebirth shakes things up a bit. There will be larger open spaces, as well as the familiar claustrophobic, confined spaces, each designed to "play on different types of horror and feelings."

Through mods and official modes that defang the monsters, Frictional’s horror romps have been made more accessible for the faint of heart or players just in it for the story. These came after launch, as well as a hard mode for The Dark Descent, and it might be the same case with Rebirth. If it would make the game more accessible or accomodate a particular playstyle, Olsson says the return of Safe Mode "isn’t out of the question."

One thing that probably won’t be happening is a VR mode. The question of a VR version crops up whenever a first-person horror game is announced, but in this case Grip says it would be very hard to do and Frictional doesn’t have any plans for it. My heart probably couldn’t handle it in VR, anyway, even with the reduction in jump scares. The team’s still trying to give players a greater sense of being Tasi, however, which is why Rebirth is the studio's first game with a full, first-person body.

There's still a shroud of mystery hanging over Rebirth, and one that Frictional is eager to maintain, though it does like to leave clues. Frictional has crammed references and teases into its videos, so rooting around for them should keep you busy while you wait for Amnesia: Rebirth's launch this autumn.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-amnesia-rebirth-interview

The Amnesia: Rebirth Interview: "Only Releasing a Game Every 5 Years Takes a Toll On You"
Frictional Games on revisiting Amnesia, lessons learned from Soma, and the studio's future.

Feature by Eric Van Allen, News Editor

12 March 2020

It's been almost a decade since Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but you can still feel its effect on modern horror. Frictional Games' first-person scarefest didn't just set a benchmark, it struck at the perfect time to capture the eyes of a burgeoning YouTube audience. It's easy to stomach the frights if you're not the only one scared, after all.

Amnesia: Rebirth, announced last week, is Frictional Games' return to the world of Amnesia. After the series debut and one slice of DLC, the studio left The Chinese Room to pick up on the threads with Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs while Frictional worked on 2015's underwater techno-thriller, Soma.

Over the last decade, Frictional Games has only developed two games. In that time though, Frictional's been growing internally, getting ready to roll out more games on a faster pace than once every half-decade.

So why is now the time to return to Amnesia, and what lessons has the studio learned in the years since? Creative director Thomas Grip and creative lead Fredrik Olsson gave us some insight into how the years and successes have helped Frictional Games grow into a new version of itself.

USgamer: It's been just about a decade since the original Amnesia. Why was now the time to return to it?

Thomas Grip, creative director: We had ideas that we wanted to try out and felt that now was the time. It started out as us mainly wanting to explore various environments mentioned in the first game's lore. For instance, the desert is an interesting place for a horror game to take place in. We might have returned to Amnesia earlier if Soma didn't take so long to make!

Do you see Rebirth as a sequel to The Dark Descent? And if so, where does that leave A Machine for Pigs?

TG: A Machine For Pigs had almost no connections to The Dark Descent when it came to either story or mechanics. It was more of a follow-up in terms of themes and atmosphere. Rebirth has lots of story connections to the first game, and many of the old mechanics are still there, in revised forms. I think people will feel that Rebirth is much more of a direct sequel than A Machine For Pigs.

Were there any lessons learned from developing Soma that you're looking to bring to Amnesia?

TG: Lots! The biggest one is to have narrative pay-offs over a longer time-span. Soma was really hard to work on as you couldn't sum up the goals of the game in simple, contained gameplay sections. Instead the true nature of the game only became apparent after a few hours of play. This was really hard for the team, and many didn't understand what we were after until very late.

Rebirth will also go for a similar approach and it has been much easier for the team this time. All those who were on the old team knew what to expect and for newer team members we could always use Soma as a reference. This allowed us to put a high level of focus from an early stage and still have the whole team on board with it. I think this has been extremely beneficial for the game.

2015's Soma veered into the futuristic unknown, away from the medieval past of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. | Frictional Games
Soma had a "safe mode" update post-launch that removed the monsters. Is this something you'd consider for Amnesia: Rebirth at launch? How do you feel this affects the way players interact with your games?

Fredrik Olsson, creative lead: Safe mode basically made Soma more accessible to a broader audience. There's a big group of people out there, who can't really stomach the horror that comes from being hunted by monsters, but that love a good story and experience overall. Whether or not we will add a safe mode to Rebirth remains to be seen—perhaps we will add a hard mode instead (like we did for Amnesia), or perhaps something completely different. This is something we want to leave up to the game itself and the feedback we'll be getting from the players once the game is out. The decision should be based on a combination of how we want players to experience the game and how people seem to be consuming it.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent was one of the games that was very popular right when Let's Plays were gaining traction. Now we're in the age of streamers. Have you ever considered streaming elements or mechanics meant for the play-with-an-audience format?

TG: I love the whole streaming phenomenon for many reasons. One of my favorites is that it sort of teaches players to play games 'properly,' as they're designed to be experienced. This is especially important for horror games where a good performance by a streamer is very similar to a good play session for a normal user.

I don't see us adding any features that are specifically made for streamers. For instance, allowing viewers to trigger scare moments and stuff like that. I don't think that meshes with the sort of feelings we want to evoke from our games, and instead turns them into carnival attractions. I would rather just make games that are very interesting from the 'player journey' standpoint and are just as interesting for streamers to play for their audience. That feels like a much better goal to aim for. To have games that allow players to act out and give them freedom to respond to events in their own way. This is something that would help us make better games in general as well.

FO: Yeah, one of the best things with having released a game is being able to watch a streamer who's just finished playing through our game as they talk through the things that are going through their mind afterwards.

A screenshot from the upcoming Amnnesia: Rebirth. Surely nothing bad happens in this place, right? | Frictional Games
Have you ever considered working in other genres, outside of the horror space?

FO: The vision we have set for the studio is not tied to horror in any way. It's a fairly simple one (on paper); we want to create games that make you view the world differently. We want to get into people's heads—like we did with Soma—and have them process and question things in a way they might not have otherwise. This vision really opens up the playing field when it comes to genres. Who knows—maybe in the future you'll see us making dating sims that will have people question their views on relationships!

How does Frictional Games build the perfect scare? What sets your studio's version of horror apart from others creating their own horror games?

TG: The perfect scare is something that takes a long time to build. The best horror movies, like Ringu, are all just trying to achieve one perfect scare moment. While we are not going that far, our focus has really been on building fear over a longer period. We are not that interested in simply having jump scares as the core experience. We want something that runs deeper and that taps into more complex emotions. This is something that I think we managed to do quite well in Soma, and something we want to do again with Rebirth. I'd say that this is what sets our horror games apart from the crowd.

Amnesia: Rebirth will focus on Tasi Trianon, who seems to have found themselves in a very scary desert. | Frictional Games
In the last decade, Frictional has put out two games. In 2016, you announced you were working on two unannounced projects—by your definition, you are a "two-project studio." Are you planning for a more frequent rollout of games in the future? How does self-publishing your games factor into that equation?

FO: The process of moving over to a two-project studio started after Soma, and even if this is not an easy transition, it's one that we feel is looking very promising. The main purpose of this move is of course to be able to release games much more frequently than before. Apart from the financial prospect of more frequent releases, there's an even more important gain when it comes to team morale and overall project fatigue. Working on a project for years before you're able to talk about it can be very frustrating for everyone involved. This system also allows us to have very long and conclusive pre-production periods. Having the luxury of self-publishing our games is key to this transition. The golden rule is to never have two projects in production at the same time, as that type of situation can easily lead to an unhealthy internal tug-of-war when it comes to resources. Not being tied to a publisher allows us to be flexible and adaptive to the needs of the project that's currently in production.

TG: Rebirth is the project that is now in production. After we release it later this year, most of the Rebirth team will move on to the project now in pre-production. A small portion will also start on pre-production of a completely new project. As Fredrik said, it has been quite difficult to get all of this working, but feels like we have gotten all the hard problems solved and it looks very promising for us as a studio. Only releasing a game every five years takes a toll on you.

With the next generation of consoles looming, are you considering whether Amnesia: Rebirth will be compatible with the next PlayStation?

FO: We are keeping an eye on the next-gen consoles and how things are evolving in that area. How it will affect Amnesia: Rebirth, however, is too soon to say.

This interview has been edited for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I tried to play those early Penumbra games but they ran like shit on my Windows 10 with a GTX 1070. Must have something to do with older games not liking the lack of proper DirectX 9 support in the drivers for this geforce card series. I have a thing about playing old games on new hardware and not having them run butter smooth at 1000+ FPS like they should, damn it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Recovered 9/9/2018, website acquisition. Sussex, UK. Marked HanARCH Labs, company closed October 2017, insurance payout for fire damage.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...returned-to-the-world-of-amnesia-with-rebirth

Why Frictional Games Returned To The World Of Amnesia With Rebirth
by Ben Reeves on Apr 09, 2020 at 09:00 AM

Amnesia may be one of the scariest games of all time. If nothing else, you can’t deny its impact on the industry and how it spawned a slew of horror games were players could not fight back against the terrors they faced. But why did Frictional Games decide to return to this spooky world now – nearly 10 years later? What did they think of The Chinese Room’s Amnesia sequel A Machine for Pigs? And how do they trick players into scaring themselves? We talked with the Frictional team to find out.

What got you excited to return to the world of Amnesia?
Thomas Grip (creative director): The first game only takes place in an old castle, but in notes, you find hints to all sorts of exotic locations. It felt like a waste to never let players experience these. This was the initial motivation for returning to the game’s universe.

How did you land on the Algerian desert for Rebirth?
Ian Thomas (writer): It's 1937, and Tasi is on her own in the middle of the desert. As you'd imagine, there's no GPS and no reliable radio, so her prospects aren't great. That should immediately summon up all sorts of fears, and that harshness was partly what inspired us to use that setting. The rest came from Amnesia: The Dark Descent – there was lore in that game set in Algeria, and we'd always wanted to explore that in a bit more depth.

What can you tell us about Tasi? What kind of hero is she?
Thomas: Tasi is having a rough time of it! She's French, originally from Paris, but has spent time abroad working on engineering projects. When we meet her, she's already an experienced traveler, but now she's out of her depth. She's not an action hero, a soldier, or a paranormal investigator – she's simply someone who's been through a lot in life and is now trying to survive.

The press release calls this an evolutionary leap. What makes Rebirth a big step forward?
Grip: In Amnesia we had a basic theme we wanted to get across, but we weren’t very successful at it. What did work was getting interesting horror gameplay, and this was the main selling point. In Soma, we managed to get the themes across really well, but we never got moment-to-moment gameplay that was anything extraordinary.

In Rebirth, we combine those experiences. Our goal is to create a game where there is a big impact from the higher-level themes, but still has a very solid moment-to-moment foundation. Players shouldn’t expect to see anything world-changing in terms of the basic gameplay. We have based it on what worked in The Dark Descent, and then done all we can to make it feel fresh 10 years later. The big stand-out feature of the game is that it’s at a much higher level. The experience of going through this game will shape the player’s journey in a way that I think will be quite special.

Soma taught us how to craft an emotional journey that takes a few hours to take hold, and we are using that knowledge as much as we can. Think of it like recent horror movies such as The Babadook and Hereditary. Moment-to-moment scares (while expertly done) are nothing new, but when they’re combined with the high-level narrative – this should be a unique experience.

What did you guys think of The Chinese Room’s Amnesia sequel A Machine for Pigs? Will you bring over any elements from that game?
Grip: I really liked the game. The Chinese Room nailed the atmosphere, writing, and visuals, and the music was nothing short of amazing. I think our issues were around it being unclear that it was not a direct sequel to The Dark Descent, and that made people go into it with the wrong expectations. Rebirth will be much more of a true successor to The Dark Descent, with many of the original mechanics still intact.

When it comes to influences from A Machine For Pigs, there won’t really be anything from the story. However, we have learned a lot from how that game managed to craft amazing environments and have used other similar settings as inspiration.

Since the release of the first Amnesia, a lot of other games have followed in that formula of combat-less survival horror. What do you think of the state of the genre now?
Fredrik Olsson (creative lead): The general purpose of combat-less mechanics is to make the player feel exposed and vulnerable. There are probably tons of ways you can still innovate on the mechanic in general, but for us, it all comes down to what the game is all about and what you want the player to experience. It’s not so much a question of how cool a feature is by itself, but rather how the use of this feature feeds into what we want the player to feel and think. We have a couple of new features in Rebirth that we feel add fuel to the main narrative and theme of the game – but I can’t really go into any further details without spoiling too much. Innovating on combat-less mechanics, in general, isn’t really a goal for us. We’d rather have the core and intended experience of our games dictate the evolution of our mechanics.

What is the trick to making things scary?
Grip: The trick is to allow players to scare themselves. You want to build a mood and environment that makes the player's imagination run wild. Then you push the player in the desired direction without saying or showing too much. With Amnesia: The Dark Descent this approach was almost entirely implemented on a lower, moment-to-moment, basis. In Rebirth we want these haunting thoughts to arise and brew over a much longer period. This allows us to cover different subjects and to affect players at a deeper level.

Are Amnesia and Soma set in the same universe?
Grip: Nope. Apart from us learning a ton from designing Soma, there are no thematic or lore connections.

We heard that you have multiple projects in the works. When can we expect you to tease the next thing?
Olsson: This is really difficult to answer at this time. We’re just about to finish the first project under our new two-project studio formula, and a lot of new processes and systems have been implemented and adjusted continuously during development. It’s been a lot of work, but everything feels really promising so far. The next step, following release, will be to transition over most of the team to start production on the next project and at the same time initiate a new pre-production on a “third” project.

It’s very difficult to predict when we will start teasing the next game. To be honest every project is different. Some projects (like Amnesia: Rebirth for example) benefit from a shorter teaser/announcement period while other games need more time in order to create interest and hype in time for release. It all comes down to strategy really, and I’m not sure we’ve decided on one for the next game yet. What I can tell you, however, is that we do not intend to take as much as five years between releases ever again. That’s the whole point of the two-studio formula.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom