Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (makers of Penumbra)

MetalCraze

Arcane
[...]and if you just can't kill it, you pretty much don't have the option to fight, only the buttons to make it look like you do. Not being able to fight might lead to some artificial scenarios

Somebody forgets about Thief games

CrimHead

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
[...]and if you just can't kill it, you pretty much don't have the option to fight, only the buttons to make it look like you do. Not being able to fight might lead to some artificial scenarios

You can fight people in thief-- it's just a last resort sort of thing. I can handle minimalist combat; I don't think removing fighting COMPLETELY is a good thing in this sort of game, though.

Ancient

Erudite
CrimHead said:
MetalCraze said:

You can fight people in thief-- it's just a last resort sort of thing. I can handle minimalist combat; I don't think removing fighting COMPLETELY is a good thing in this sort of game, though.

yeah riiight......go fight freaking scarecrows which probably can't be killed by weapons.

Id prefer to hide

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Just played the demo of this. WTF was that? I did two puzzles. One where I moved some boxes. The other where I jumped around the water. Total complexity 4... out of 9e13 (oh you, have to jump on boxes! The boxes! Jump on them! Here's a hint to tell you as such. By the way, the water? It's wet), then it was finished.

I have the feeling the full game would take maybe 12 seconds to complete. No story or interesting journals found to really grab me other than "Daniel zomigosh kill someone amnesia is by choice herp-a-derp!"

I really didn't like the linear little rooms either "The door won't budge?". Go fuck yourself. That obviously rules out large, complex, multi-level mechanical puzzles.

Not really compelled to buy based on the demo - not like I was with Penumbra.

... and after reading the thread, looks like I'll skip this pile of shit. Pity, as I was really looking forward to something meaty after Penumbra.

Phelot

Arcane
I didn't play the demo, but it sounds like the full game doesn't hold your hand as much or at least the default options don't have as much help.

I died once or twice in that water part and it never once gave me hints. I figured it out on my own so I'm not sure what these messages are.

As I said before, if you're not scared or tensed by the game, then it's probably going to suck since that's a huge factor of the game.

Also, the game branches out some more after the water part where you kind of get a hub area with a number of branching paths from it and every door I recall opens one way or another.

As for the story, well, I thought it was at least well written :lol: and actually not that bad all around, but honestly all the flashback voices and shit was more distracting then anything.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The full game has some pretty weak puzzles overall. In most regards, I feel Penumbra was the better game. Amnesia has better art direction, a wonderful soundtrack, some nice voicework, better production values...and that's really about it. Simple puzzles, enemies that disappear after their initial scare, a weak ending (all three of them were pretty blergh), and only a mildly interesting story. Penumbra gone artsy-fartsy, to state it as plainly as I can.

Phelot

Arcane
I realize the beginning monsters never actually attacked you and would disappear, but I never had the later ones do the same? I keep hearing they'll disappear, but I haven't noticed this yet.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
DarkUnderlord said:
Just played the demo of this. WTF was that? I did two puzzles. One where I moved some boxes. The other where I jumped around the water. Total complexity 4... out of 9e13 (oh you, have to jump on boxes! The boxes! Jump on them! Here's a hint to tell you as such. By the way, the water? It's wet), then it was finished.

I have the feeling the full game would take maybe 12 seconds to complete. No story or interesting journals found to really grab me other than "Daniel zomigosh kill someone amnesia is by choice herp-a-derp!"

I really didn't like the linear little rooms either "The door won't budge?". Go fuck yourself. That obviously rules out large, complex, multi-level mechanical puzzles.

Not really compelled to buy based on the demo - not like I was with Penumbra.

... and after reading the thread, looks like I'll skip this pile of shit. Pity, as I was really looking forward to something meaty after Penumbra.
What I was worried about. Basically, if it is a "first-person adventure" game, then how do the adventure elements hold up? Makes sense that that would be the most important thing, right? And it seems like they're not that good. Atmosphere alone does not make a game.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
fizzelopeguss said:
Devs prolly won't be around in a few years time.

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/201 ... nesia.html

This is of course not all the income we will make from the game, but is still a bit discouraging when comparing to recent XBLA releases and similar. So why is not sales higher? Piracy? People waiting for future massive discounted sales? Game too scary / niched? Right now we have not got a clue, but hopefully it will become clearer further on.

In my case, that's simple. I am extremely interested in this type of first person adventure but I have no interest in a game that is designed with the sole purpose to create unpleasant feelings (scare, panic), why not make something like VTM Bloodlines instead?

Don't forget to unlock the easter egg by going into the redist folder and finding "super_secret.rar". To open it you need the codes from all three endings and once unlocked gives you access to concept art, designs, documents, and beta test videos involved in the game's development etc.

The pass is
lke271tyr299odn314

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's very cool. Atmospheric as fuck, some moments make you shit your pants, has really excellent use of sounds.

My only gripes are that it's too short and too easy (all the puzzles are so bloody obvious...)

So yeah, get it.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Atmosphere is excellent, puzzles simple, but it really is NOT scary because all the danger is hinted at, without it actually being there.

Still highly recommended, it's a well executed game.

Luzur

Good Sir
i tried out the demo and either i have become desensified thanks to ultraviolence and horror on tv but i didnt get that much scared on either the water part or those encounters with the monster, they give you plenty of time to find something to hide in before it breaks down the door/enters the room.

besides, the guy you play as is a goddamn whimp that cant even take being in the dark for a few seconds or look at monsters from faraway while safely hidden.

otherwise, its a good game, to bad you dont have a sword or something.

CrimHead

Scholar
I spent the whole game wondering if and when it was ever going to get scary, and then it ended. I didn't experience one "OH SHIT" moment the entire time, and looking back on it, I can't recall one set-piece or distinctive event from the game. It's all an uninteresting, unflavored blur. I do remember the plot though. Probably because I can't imagine a more generic Lovecraftian scenario. ARCHAEOLOGIST DISCOVERS STRANGE ARTIFACT. SUDDENLY MANSION HAUNTING FROM BEYOND THE COSMOS. It's also extremely short, and, as such, not worth even it's meager price tag.

Even still, the mechanics were my biggest problem, not the absence of scares or absurd lack of content. It's really hard to enjoy this game's atmosphere because you're constantly running from light source to lightsource, unable to stand in the dark because apparently your character has an irrational fear of darkness on par with a mentally disabled 6 year old. I wasn't able to get immersed for a second since I was too busy thinking how utterly arbitrary that shit was the whole time.

The survival elements are also severely dumbed down as compared to most good games in the genre (see: Silent Hill/Siren series), making it very hard to recommend. You horde lamp fuel and you run. That's pretty much it.

How you play the game is pathetically constricted. See that saw? Can't use it against the enemies. Why? Because lol. See that corner that looks like a great hiding spot from the monsters? Can't hide in it. Why? Because lol.

It's not an adventure game--the puzzles are far too easy for that--, it doesn't have any notable survival elements beyond DONT DIE, and to anyone who's played alot of survival horror, it's not scary. So where does that leave us? It's a game. P. uninspired. I really expected more from this one.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
CrimHead said:
See that saw? Can't use it against the enemies. Why? Because lol.

:retarded:

You should just stick to intellectual endeavours the likes of Call of Duty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom