Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

An actually positive, and *logical*, breakdown of what makes Skyrim tick that weighs its pros/cons.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by aweigh, Jan 13, 2019 at 3:58 PM.

1. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Calling TemplarGR

I think you'll like the cut of this guy's jib. I did. I don't agree with him regarding his positive take of Bethesda's games, but I do however think he expresses his points excellently.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Butter Educated

Butter
    15:09 "The leveling system has also been criticized for being shallow - but it isn't!...You receive no XP from quests and you have no statistics like strength or dexterity. Just your health, your magic, your stamina, and your skills."

Yeah, I'm done with this low IQ shit.

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    Are hiking simulators a type of RPG?

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jvegi Arcane

Jvegi
    I love Noah for his literary analasys, but he is a fucking noob gameplay wise. His main critisism of baldurs gate was that it's too hard on normal and should be experienced in ee story mode.

It's good content if you can stomach such lame statements.

• Funny x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    yeah it's obvious from his statements that he's a normie-tier gamer when it comes to understanding mechanics, but his understanding of how to analyze the game content itself is top-notch.

his speech skill is easily 100.

He did hit it on the mark regarding Skyrim's inherent shallowness, and how that actually functions as a positive quality for the game itself because it allows the player to do whatever, in any order, and have the same exact experience.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    what is this shit why are you calling this "good" and "excellent"?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Anhur Arcane

Anhur
    Who cares? Is anyone insane enough to watch a 2 hour video about "Syrim vs Dragon Age", made by someone who is obviously trying too hard to sound smart and funny at the same time (I concluded this by watching cca 10 s in total of the video, could be wrong but I doubt it!).

Also, don't believe anything aweigh says. "Speech skill 100" lmao

• Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. CreamyBlood Arcane

CreamyBlood
    I could install and play Skyrim for an hour before finding out that it's 'not for me' rather than watching a video about it. Come to think of it I could probably play Dragon Age for an hour as well. Or, instead of playing games or watching videos of people playing and talking about games, I could just spend weeks or even years of my life reading about shitty games that I'll never play here on the codex.

• Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gaius maximus Scholar

Gaius maximus
    I have seen a lot of the dudes videos,he seems to enjoy more the writing in games than the mechanics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I ain't watching some retard youtuber video that is, judging by the first reply, at least 15 minutes long

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. TheImplodingVoice Learned

TheImplodingVoice
    Logic and Skyrim don't go together. Because if you have any logic then you wouldn't be playing Skyrim in the 1st place.

• Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fedora Master Liturgist

Fedora Master
    The success of Skyrim comes down to a bunch of blind men (Normalfaggot gamers) groping at an Elephant (A shit game), each thinking they discovered the truth of why it isn't shit.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 10:47 PM
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    I didn't even make it passed the description

But I'm always disappointed when retardation like this gets posted years or months after the fact. It's harder to accrue delicious butthurt and tears in the comments when I tear these idiots to shreds.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. The Glitterdust Golem Prophet Patron

The Glitterdust Golem
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You're better than this aweigh. C'mon.

• Funny x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Two hours, six minutes, and thirty-six seconds spent analyzing and comparing a couple of shit games that were released eons ago?

Shit fire and save matches, sign me up! What a wise investment of my time!

• Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Daily reminder that if it's not about Dungeon Crawler, you can ignore aweigh's posts. :troll:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    I don't like any of the games discussed in the video. I posted it mainly for TemplarGR to see an actually well-presented breakdown of Skyrim, although I don't agree with anything the guy says regarding Skyrim (or Dragon Age).

Everything he presents as a positive aspect of Skyrim I find to be an obvious and alarming indicator of bad RPG design; however he presents a logical basis for the things he says and when putting myself in his shoes I can see how and he arrived at that conclusion. I found the video a good one for TemplarGR to see a discussion of a game with which you disagree on a fundamental level (he likes Skyrim, whereas I think it's an insultingly bad game), but that you can understand where it's coming from.

The above^ is a pretty rare thing to run across which is why I found it relevant.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Generic-Giant-Spider Prophet

Generic-Giant-Spider
    He's likely one of those insufferable fucks that makes a point to show how positive and cheery he is. God, I hate those people. Nobody is positive and happy all the time, stop being so fucking creepy.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    It seems my replacement has arrived.

It's been a good six-odd years, folks, but I'm taking a long break. This guy is clearly fully qualified to fill the Blaine slot.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Generic-Giant-Spider Prophet

Generic-Giant-Spider
    I will do the Blaine lineage proud.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. deama Arbiter

deama
    His planescape torment analysis is the best one I've seen so far; he seems to have quite a personal history with torment, I guess that's why it's good.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Yosharian Scholar

Yosharian
    Noah isn't half as smart as he thinks he is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. HarveyBirdman Novice

HarveyBirdman
    Is it possible for a post to age poorly within hours of its posting?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Bastardchops Educated

Bastardchops
    I always wanted a bland gamespot review that took 2 hours to read, but now I can listen to one instead.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    As long as we're here, I might as well list some of the reasons why Skyrim is garbage. There are a lot of them, so I'll just hit the highlights.

• Getting the obvious out of the way first, Radiant AI was (and presumably remains) a stillborn abomination, so horrible that it's actually inferior to the traditional implementation of NPCs hanging out in a few spots and delivering pre-planned dialogue only.
    • All of the dungeons in the game are boring, linear corridors with treasure nooks and convenient quick exits, alongside the added insult of puzzles so absurdly simple that a kindergartener ought to be sent back to preschool if he's unable to solve them.
    • The old magic customization system was a lot of fun to experiment with and collect new power words and hexes to use with. The system that replaced it has none of that charm or interest, and is bad for additional reasons I've long since forgotten.
    • The skill system was dumbed down yet again, as it has been in every iteration since Daggerfall; crafting skills were added—any two of which, when maxed out, will allow the player to create weapons that will one-shot nearly any dragon on standard difficulty.
    • However, even without the advantage of crafting skills and enchantments, the game is extraordinarily easy from beginning to end. There is a bullet sponge slider, but bullet sponginess can only do but so much to shore up bad gameplay design.
    • TERRIBLE world-building... or rather, nonexistent world-building. Bethesda's games this decade have resembled nothing so much as Disney-patterned theme parks populated by costumed mannequins spouting canned lines. This is a whole topic unto itself, so I'll leave it at that.
    • The UI and inventory design—as well as the control scheme and keybinding support—are console-centric, mobile phone-inspired, flaming-hot garbage. Dozens of modders worked tirelessly for months to improve the UI so that it was merely shitty rather than utterly rancid.
    • The writing is bad, the factions are one-dimensional and bad, and the plot is hackneyed and bad. In Bethesda's view, story, plot, and characterization are nuisances—annoying things that must be included in a horse-riding hiking simulator for the sake of completeness.
    • The game was of course a janky, buggy mess for months (more like forever, but I'm feeling generous), and Bethesda's own patches consistently broke more than they fixed, famously causing dragons to fly backward and elemental resistances to work in reverse or not at all.

Lists are great and all, but the one experience that best represents Skyrim (and modern Bethesda) in my mind is the town that harbored the thieves' guild. From the moment you set foot in the town, everyone around you is talking about the thieves' guild, thieves run up to you and force dialogue in an obvious introduction into the thieves' guild... you know, like you're a six-year-old on a Disney theme park ride. Yeah, it's a super-secret thieves' guild! Now line up, climb into the car, and ride the roller coaster right on in. We wouldn't want any morons to get confused and frustrated at their inability to find the thieves' guild immediately, or even fail to find it at all during their entire playthrough. That would be unthinkable.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)