Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An actually positive, and *logical*, breakdown of what makes Skyrim tick that weighs its pros/cons.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Calling TemplarGR

I think you'll like the cut of this guy's jib. I did. I don't agree with him regarding his positive take of Bethesda's games, but I do however think he expresses his points excellently.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
15:09 "The leveling system has also been criticized for being shallow - but it isn't!...You receive no XP from quests and you have no statistics like strength or dexterity. Just your health, your magic, your stamina, and your skills."

Yeah, I'm done with this low IQ shit.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I love Noah for his literary analasys, but he is a fucking noob gameplay wise. His main critisism of baldurs gate was that it's too hard on normal and should be experienced in ee story mode.

It's good content if you can stomach such lame statements.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah it's obvious from his statements that he's a normie-tier gamer when it comes to understanding mechanics, but his understanding of how to analyze the game content itself is top-notch.

his speech skill is easily 100.

He did hit it on the mark regarding Skyrim's inherent shallowness, and how that actually functions as a positive quality for the game itself because it allows the player to do whatever, in any order, and have the same exact experience.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Who cares? Is anyone insane enough to watch a 2 hour video about "Syrim vs Dragon Age", made by someone who is obviously trying too hard to sound smart and funny at the same time (I concluded this by watching cca 10 s in total of the video, could be wrong but I doubt it!).

Also, don't believe anything aweigh says. "Speech skill 100" lmao

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I could install and play Skyrim for an hour before finding out that it's 'not for me' rather than watching a video about it. Come to think of it I could probably play Dragon Age for an hour as well. Or, instead of playing games or watching videos of people playing and talking about games, I could just spend weeks or even years of my life reading about shitty games that I'll never play here on the codex.

Tigranes

Arcane
I ain't watching some retard youtuber video that is, judging by the first reply, at least 15 minutes long

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The success of Skyrim comes down to a bunch of blind men (Normalfaggot gamers) groping at an Elephant (A shit game), each thinking they discovered the truth of why it isn't shit.

A group of retarded casuals heard that a strange game, called a "Skyrim", had been brought to the hobby, but none of them were aware of its shape and form. Out of curiosity, they said: "We must inspect and know it by playing of which we are capable". So, they sought it out, and when they found it they DSP'd about in it. In the case of the first person, who had discovered the Open World, said "This game is like Minecraft". For another one who discovered modding, it seemed like a kind of a virtual sex game. As for another person, who noticed the combat system, said "the game is about stealth archery like Thief". The casual who was only used to phone games deemed "the game is a hardcore experience". Another who felt its broken programming, described it as a fucking mess. The last discovered its story, stating the game was a masterpiece of storytelling.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
I didn't even make it passed the description

This video is a retrospective analysis of three amazing contemporary role playing games: Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins, and Dragon Age 2.

But I'm always disappointed when retardation like this gets posted years or months after the fact. It's harder to accrue delicious butthurt and tears in the comments when I tear these idiots to shreds.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Two hours, six minutes, and thirty-six seconds spent analyzing and comparing a couple of shit games that were released eons ago?

Shit fire and save matches, sign me up! What a wise investment of my time!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I don't like any of the games discussed in the video. I posted it mainly for TemplarGR to see an actually well-presented breakdown of Skyrim, although I don't agree with anything the guy says regarding Skyrim (or Dragon Age).

Everything he presents as a positive aspect of Skyrim I find to be an obvious and alarming indicator of bad RPG design; however he presents a logical basis for the things he says and when putting myself in his shoes I can see how and he arrived at that conclusion. I found the video a good one for TemplarGR to see a discussion of a game with which you disagree on a fundamental level (he likes Skyrim, whereas I think it's an insultingly bad game), but that you can understand where it's coming from.

The above^ is a pretty rare thing to run across which is why I found it relevant.

Generic-Giant-Spider

But I'm always disappointed when retardation like this gets posted years or months after the fact. It's harder to accrue delicious butthurt and tears in the comments when I tear these idiots to shreds.

He's likely one of those insufferable fucks that makes a point to show how positive and cheery he is. God, I hate those people. Nobody is positive and happy all the time, stop being so fucking creepy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
He's likely one of those insufferable fucks that makes a point to show how positive and cheery he is. God, I hate those people. Nobody is positive and happy all the time, stop being so fucking creepy.

It seems my replacement has arrived.

It's been a good six-odd years, folks, but I'm taking a long break. This guy is clearly fully qualified to fill the Blaine slot.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It seems my replacement has arrived.

It's been a good six-odd years, folks, but I'm taking a long break. This guy is clearly fully qualified to fill the Blaine slot.

I will do the Blaine lineage proud.

deama

Prophet
His planescape torment analysis is the best one I've seen so far; he seems to have quite a personal history with torment, I guess that's why it's good.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I always wanted a bland gamespot review that took 2 hours to read, but now I can listen to one instead.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
As long as we're here, I might as well list some of the reasons why Skyrim is garbage. There are a lot of them, so I'll just hit the highlights.

• Getting the obvious out of the way first, Radiant AI was (and presumably remains) a stillborn abomination, so horrible that it's actually inferior to the traditional implementation of NPCs hanging out in a few spots and delivering pre-planned dialogue only.
  • All of the dungeons in the game are boring, linear corridors with treasure nooks and convenient quick exits, alongside the added insult of puzzles so absurdly simple that a kindergartener ought to be sent back to preschool if he's unable to solve them.
  • The old magic customization system was a lot of fun to experiment with and collect new power words and hexes to use with. The system that replaced it has none of that charm or interest, and is bad for additional reasons I've long since forgotten.
  • The skill system was dumbed down yet again, as it has been in every iteration since Daggerfall; crafting skills were added—any two of which, when maxed out, will allow the player to create weapons that will one-shot nearly any dragon on standard difficulty.
  • However, even without the advantage of crafting skills and enchantments, the game is extraordinarily easy from beginning to end. There is a bullet sponge slider, but bullet sponginess can only do but so much to shore up bad gameplay design.
  • TERRIBLE world-building... or rather, nonexistent world-building. Bethesda's games this decade have resembled nothing so much as Disney-patterned theme parks populated by costumed mannequins spouting canned lines. This is a whole topic unto itself, so I'll leave it at that.
  • The UI and inventory design—as well as the control scheme and keybinding support—are console-centric, mobile phone-inspired, flaming-hot garbage. Dozens of modders worked tirelessly for months to improve the UI so that it was merely shitty rather than utterly rancid.
  • The writing is bad, the factions are one-dimensional and bad, and the plot is hackneyed and bad. In Bethesda's view, story, plot, and characterization are nuisances—annoying things that must be included in a horse-riding hiking simulator for the sake of completeness.
  • The game was of course a janky, buggy mess for months (more like forever, but I'm feeling generous), and Bethesda's own patches consistently broke more than they fixed, famously causing dragons to fly backward and elemental resistances to work in reverse or not at all.

Lists are great and all, but the one experience that best represents Skyrim (and modern Bethesda) in my mind is the town that harbored the thieves' guild. From the moment you set foot in the town, everyone around you is talking about the thieves' guild, thieves run up to you and force dialogue in an obvious introduction into the thieves' guild... you know, like you're a six-year-old on a Disney theme park ride. Yeah, it's a super-secret thieves' guild! Now line up, climb into the car, and ride the roller coaster right on in. We wouldn't want any morons to get confused and frustrated at their inability to find the thieves' guild immediately, or even fail to find it at all during their entire playthrough. That would be unthinkable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom