Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An argument for turn based - The Magnificent Seven argument

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Look, the only way to surprise a player is to toss a crap load of fodder at him in RTwP and hopefully he doesn't have his finger on the space bar key or have the 'Pause on enemy sighted option turned on'

Once in combat; how do you actually simulate a 'surprise attack' since your character responds immidiately right after 'unpause' happens? RTwP doesn't seem to work smoothly for this while TB have minor issues. Turn based means those who are 'flatfooted (have not taken their turn yet)' gets no defensive bonus from their DEX bonus and vulnerable to sneak attacks.

I have no idea of telling which of my party members are 'vulnerable' except for positioning issues and suddenly sneak attacks text flooding my wizard as the 3-4 rogues just jumping on him in RTwP.

obediah

Erudite
RK47 said:
Look, the only way to surprise a player is to toss a crap load of fodder at him in RTwP and hopefully he doesn't have his finger on the space bar key or have the 'Pause on enemy sighted option turned on'

That's false. It is trivial to handle surprise in a RTwP engine. You can do it implicitly by modeling awareness, detection, and response time based on the characters attributes. You can also do it explicitly by making a surprise! check for each character and setting their status to stunned for some amount of time.

I suspect that when you say 'RTwP' you actually mean some specific, horrible engine like say, NWN. You should avoid that, it makes you looks as silly as if you said "TB is bad, because you have to choose between moving and attacking each turn ( see Bard's Tale )".

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm looking at it strictly from RPG engines. The only ones that qualify as party based RPG I can recall are infinity engines, ultima 7, *thinks very hard* Arcanum if you can call the RT option there feasible.

I cannot recall any other isometric party rpg that doesn't feel too 'pause'-centric.

DungeoneerAlex

Rogue Sword
Developer
Sheriff_Fatman said:
I agree, faster clicking does not add to the sense of drama. Faster decision making does, though.
This made me think of playing table top D&D. We often had to make real-time decisions, which definitely added to the drama, but the real-time stuff rarely had to do with combat. Typically DM's would enforce real time decisions if we were rp'ing a conversation with an NPC where we had to give quick answers. Or chase scenes where we needed to pick a direction. Or traps with a time element.

But when it came to actual battles, there was little pressure to make tactical decisions in real time (just pressure not to take TOO long). There was plenty of drama though - it came in the form of not wanting to get killed.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Why is this bullshit still sticky?

j4.jpg

bminorkey

It's an historical document that forever crippled the Codex's critical thinking skills. Surely a worthy exhibit for the Musée du Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom