Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Angry Joe: Skyrim is MAJESTIC! Matt Barton: Skyrim is boring

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by J_C, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    I agree with the pseudo-frog christfag. Christwire has always screamed "trying-too-hard". And they're not even particularly creative writers. It's a site for teenage liberals and the kind of weekender atheist that thinks Gay Jesus is the cutting edge of humour.

Haw, that's me all right. The hardest thing to do in Skyrim is to stop yourself from grabbing every inconsequential potions and scroll you see. I think that by lvl 38 or so, 75% of my weight consisted of hundreds of 0.1-0.5g items

^ Top  
  2. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Angry Joe reminds me of one of those TV Preachers over in the US, spreading "God's Word" with one hand and grabbing dollars with the other, but in his case its grabbing his dick.

^ Top  
  3. Oriebam Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

Oriebam
    that makes no sense

^ Top  
  4. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    he praises Bethesdas game to us while jerking to it?

^ Top  
  5. Oriebam Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

Oriebam
    thing is , "we" also jerk to it... and I mean literally

I'm sure the prestigious poster known as sgc_meltdown will enlighten you next time he posts at the best thread ever

^ Top  
  6. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Why does everything on the codex always come back to cocks

^ Top  
  7. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Sig material.

^ Top  
  8. We know what we like. Nohomo.

^ Top  
  9. Just read through the Matt Barton posts. Sounds like a decent chunk of his problems stem both from him playing the 360 version (Longer loading times, fucking with menus instead of assigning spells/weapons to number keys) and from playing it too much like a packrat (Talking about carrying 100 potatoes and searching every pot and vase). You start looting everything in the BEGINNING, but once you learn that baskets and barrels never have anything worthwhile, do you really want to spend hours searching every one in the off chance that one barrel in the game has a magic item in it? God no, you just stop looting the fuckers.
    He also mentions dreading finding loot since that will force him to do the inventory shuffle and drop shit to make room. Again, sell some shit. Load shit on your companion. Stash shit in your house/lair/whatever. You have a minimum carrying capacity of 300 in Skyrim which allows a ridiculously generous amount of packratting with no spells/enchantments/stat boosts (Before Skyway says WHAT STATS, increasing stamina during level up also increases your carrying capacity) to aid it.
    Then he glosses over some of the more important aspects of the game by just calling the combat tedious instead of going in to why he didn't like it, and apparently didn't like the exploration since the dungeons were too dark (?).
    If he was a Codexer I'd say he was fishing for KKKs.

^ Top  
  10. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Re: Angry Joe: Skyrim is MAJESTIC! Matt Barton: Skyrim is bo

Really, Matt? Really? :decline:

^ Top  
  11. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Angry Joe might not be the brightest kid on the block but damn, it really is entertaining in a way to watch him, he's like a sketch character pretty much.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    They still have loading screens in Skyrim and even for tiny huts? What the fuck? 1993 called. It wants its game back.
    And 3 fucking voice actors for 90% of characters?

^ Top  
  13. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Well of course. They'll be using Fagbryo with a new coat of paint for decades to come. Why bother upgrading when everyone still calls the graphics and world MAJESTIC?

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ksjav Scholar

ksjav
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
    Stopped reading there. If you watched his videos, than you know that he did a "retrospective" on Daggerfall recently (playing it for the first time at that as well) and he couldn't really handle the starter dungeon, whining about the game along the way, and barely had any positives to say about it, now it's suddenly a solid A? Most likely he never even played Morrowind, but it's an older game, bros old games are awesome. KKK-- for doing a Skyway there Matt.

P.S: So I've read some more comments, and some of his main gripes are that alchemy and enchanting require stationary workstations that he has trouble finding? And that the game rips off WoW? Well we know Matt is a WoW fan and apparently never played any of the Gothics, but seriously? The game has some serious faults in balancing (which would be my main gripes abuot it) and he bitches about small annoyances, WHILE GIVING DAGGERFALL AN A.

You, Matt, are one of the reasons dungeons have been made mostly linear and you still can't find the door? Well apart from quest markers that can optionally float in the world and not only the compass you can always cast clarovoyance, which will draw you a line to walk on :x

^ Top  
  15. jancobblepot Educated

jancobblepot
    ^ Top  
  16. Davaris Arcane

Davaris

Go to 20.30 of that video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka3EzZbUCYw

He says he hopes he isn't making the game look bad, because he quite enjoys it. He also uses awesome to describe its technical achievement a little later on.

^ Top  
  17. ksjav Scholar

ksjav
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
    case in point

He probably thought he wouldn't look as hardcore if he didn't like an old game. :M 20 minutes of bashing the game, and then BROS A+++. How is that different from modern "gaming journalism"?

I gave Matt the benefit of the doubt after he praised WoW and DA, but afterwards was all edgy on them on his blog thing. But he has done this thing so many times now, that it's quite evident by now that he plays the same game Skyway does.

^ Top  
  18. Admiral jimbob gay as all hell

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Wasteland 2
    He can prefer Morrowind while acknowledging that it's not really as good a game as Daggerfall. I'm the same, I simply couldn't justify giving it a better score, but I do like it more.

^ Top  
  19. Jeff Graw StarChart Interactive Developer

Jeff Graw
    I love Daggerfall as much as they next guy, but if his primary complaint with Skyrim is quantity over quality, then why would he give an A to a game that has the same problem but 1000x worse?

^ Top  
  20. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Now that the player is free, they will spend the next 400 hours robbing people, killing villagers, crafting sexual items, fornicate with elves

fornicate with elves

:x

And angry Joe is kind of :retarded: but still fun to watch... just like Skyrim is. :smug:

^ Top  
  21. ortucis Prophet

ortucis

:lol:

^ Top  
  22. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Indeed. That's a pretty glib comparison.

^ Top  
  23. ZbojLamignat Educated

ZbojLamignat
    Sorry if someone is in manlove with that Matt guy, but judging by his articles and videos in which he gives actual opinions about games (especially the top best and worst crpgs) - isn't he basically one of the "I'm more than 25 and I really want to be perceived as a computer games connoisseur" types? You know, people who think that games like BG and KotOR (obligatory 7 times joke) are the best crpgs ever, but they also feel obliged to try older rpgs and say good things about them despite the fact that don't really enjoy them?

It's not that he isn't right at times, but his opinions really seem to be uttered in line with his internet character and not his actual beliefs.

^ Top  
  24. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    i like the interviews he does, but thats about it.

^ Top  
  25. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :retarded:
    People listen to this guy? On purpose?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)