Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Angry Joe: Skyrim is MAJESTIC! Matt Barton: Skyrim is boring

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Looks like christwire trolled not only religious folk, but the Codex as well.

And by Codex I mean Wyrmlord.

Neeshka

Educated
Matt Barton's post is actually extremely accurate and sums up almost all the flaws with this game quite accurately.

Although I've got to level 28 in the game and put in a few days I'm starting to get fed up with a number of things that are in that post.

But yeah
1. Combat
2. UI
3. Forgettable characters/npc's.
4. Bugs

I'm trying hard to ignore them but it's proving to be more and more of a pain.

I'm particularly frustrated by the way the economy works (limited npc gold, limited sell/buy types).
It's getting really really old having to fast travel all over the place and look up the shit map to find some faggot that will buy my shit.
Then again gold acquisition itself although being really easy feels pointless since most of the npc's rarely have anything worth 2 shits.
Loading screens for every door are getting annoying even though they take 3 seconds. The door puzzles are starting to get very repetitive and stupid.

I'm playing a dual wield warrior type and combat involves

skyrim_combat(float derp) {
while(creature=alive) {
run_up_to_creature( );
left_and_right_click( );
run_back_from_creature( );
if(health<20%){shit_UI_food_spam_click( );shit_UI_potion_spam_click( );}
}
}

Fun combat is almost always the "reward" in modern gaming, and if everything about it sucks the game starts getting really boring and aimless.
As Matt rightly said the constant pausing totally kills immersion and the feel of the combat.

The level scaling makes zero sense to me; giants still 1 shot me whereas; dragons and EVERYTHING ELSE in every dungeon i've been to are a joke. The harder wraiths that are near words of power and a few of the final dungeon boss types are annoying too. But then again other than giants; these just involve drinking a few more potions and a few 100 more potatos.

The slow-mo death scenes are often horrendously animated; JUST LIKE FALLOUT 3, but they still do it. It's also random and happens whenever the game feels like it wants to do it. Hell even hated QTE type combat finisher/stealth-kill segments would be far more sensible.

Another thing I'm getting really pissed off about is "finding new location X to fast travel to" mechanic. The path to a lot of places is often not clear and you end up circling a mountain for ages to look for a path up to it. This is further aggravated by:
1) Shitty animations while running up an incline especially with a horse (gamebryo ?)
2) Shitty physics that prevents jumping on top of a 2 foot high rock; seriously wtf ?

Thankfully game crashing bugs haven't been happening too often to piss me off.

O and christwire is just pure genius; reminds me of landover baptists.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It was already explained in the first page it was a parody website, before I even clicked the link. I just liked the variation on the old joke that Elder Scrolls games are single player MMOs.

Black

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Skyrim an MMORPG FPS? Hahahaha.

Well... it is a single player MMO since most of its "charm" seems to be walking around, doing nothing. And First Person Slasher or Spellcaster.

They are more clever than you think.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Awor Szurkrarz said:
They still have loading screens in Skyrim and even for tiny huts? What the fuck? 1993 called. It wants its game back.
And 3 fucking voice actors for 90% of characters?
Indeed. Also, you run into the odd Argonian with a human voice; that is, no more reptilian aural tones to pleasure your imagination while speaking to the loveable humanoid lizards. Forget about the characteristic raspiness of the Dunmer, too. Only the furries keep their feline hissing.

They fixed the faces. Oblivion's were hideous with little difference between races. What they did to the Dark elves in Oblivion was an abomination.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Weierstraß said:
attackfighter said:
M4BE1R0 said:
Best lines? Surely the angry spic has said something memorable praising this majestic game

"Bethesda has created the penultimate Western RPG!" - angry joe

Did he mention which one he thinks is the ultimate western RPG then?

Dragon Age 2?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
damicore said:
Why do people still use spiky hair in 2011? How much longer will this intrigue continue to haunt me?
Because you just rub some hairgel and voila.

Xor said:
Dragon Age 2?

Excidium said:
Because you just rub some hairgel and voila.

roxburyTHEDAS.gif

attackfighter

Magister
Weierstraß said:
attackfighter said:
M4BE1R0 said:
Best lines? Surely the angry spic has said something memorable praising this majestic game

"Bethesda has created the penultimate Western RPG!" - angry joe

Did he mention which one he thinks is the ultimate western RPG then?

No, and I doubt he even knows what penultimate means. Also I wonder what he thinks two most ultimate non-Western RPGs are, since he bothered to distinguish them :roll:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually merriam-webster defines penultimate as "next to last", so maybe he meant skyrim is the second worst RPG ever.

Stabwound

Arcane
The fact that there's a 3 page topic about him on this forum proves that his shtick is successful.

AngryJoe

Novice
Sheesh guys...

You need to get with the times. This is the 2010s, games are more awesome than ever. Graphics and gameplay have evolved a long time from turn based combat and 8bit graphics.

As a gaming journalist, I might have a bit more insight into these matters, since I play games for a living. Take indie games for example. I love indie games and sometimes they can really push things forward in terms of mechanics or ai (e.g. Facade). But an indie game can never aspire to become a polished modern masterpiece like Skyrim. I think all of them are outdated in one way or the other, be it graphics wise (again, Facade) or even mechanics wise (Nights of the Chalice). This is because they're restricted in budget/time/size, just like the games of old were restricted by the low power of the gaming systems of that time.

When I started out, I too opposed the big gaming companies, thinking that the huge inflated budgets and hype and marketing suits would decline gaming. But then I realized something. Companies like Blizzard or Bioware or Bethesda have liberalized gaming. They took it out of musty basements and turned it into something everyone could enjoy. They have turned boring dice rolls into heated combat, mushy pixels into nightmarish monsters and checkerboards into immersive landscapes. Can you imagine how much greater Braid would be with the budget of Mirrors Edge, or one of Ben Vogel's games done with the team behind Dragon Age 2?

But you people just complain about innovation. You're like a bunch of grumpy old guys, sitting inside and complaining that the 1950s were the pinnacle of human civilization and that free healthcare is communism, when outside the sun is shining and everybody is having an awesome time. ;)

edit: Also, I can't change my avatar. Could any of the mods fix that please?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
AngryJoe said:
Sheesh guys...

You need to get with the times. This is the 2010s, games are more awesome than ever. Graphics and gameplay have evolved a long time from turn based combat and 8bit graphics.

As a gaming journalist, I might have a bit more insight into these matters, since I play games for a living. Take indie games for example. I love indie games and sometimes they can really push things forward in terms of mechanics or ai (e.g. Facade). But an indie game can never aspire to become a polished modern masterpiece like Skyrim. I think all of them are outdated in one way or the other, be it graphics wise (again, Facade) or even mechanics wise (Nights of the Chalice). This is because they're restricted in budget/time/size, just like the games of old were restricted by the low power of the gaming systems of that time.

When I started out, I too opposed the big gaming companies, thinking that the huge inflated budgets and hype and marketing suits would decline gaming. But then I realized something. Companies like Blizzard or Bioware or Bethesda have liberalized gaming. They took it out of musty basements and turned it into something everyone could enjoy. They have turned boring dice rolls into heated combat, mushy pixels into nightmarish monsters and checkerboards into immersive landscapes. Can you imagine how much greater Braid would be with the budget of Mirrors Edge, or one of Ben Vogel's games done with the team behind Dragon Age 2?

But you people just complain about innovation. You're like a bunch of grumpy old guys, sitting inside and complaining that the 1950s were the pinnacle of human civilization and that free healthcare is communism, when outside the sun is shining and everybody is having an awesome time. ;)

Ahahahahahahahahahah

(slaps knee)

hahahahahahhahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
AngryJoe said:
Can you imagine how much greater Braid would be with the budget of Mirrors Edge, or one of Ben Vogel's games done with the team behind Dragon Age 2?
Oh boy, you really opened Pandora's box with this one Joe. The thing is, these indie games would never exist if a big studio poured millions of dollars in them. Because the publishers want to get their money back, so they have to dumb down stuff to broaden the audiance. Braid would be a totally different thing if it was made by EA for example. And don't even bring up the pile of steaming shit, Dragon Age 2. That game is an insult to RPG gamers.

Also, I think our opinion differs on innovation. You can rarely see innovative things in million dollar AAA games. (improving graphics doesn't count).

Don't get me wrong, there are modern AAA games I enjoy, but the RPG genre was especially hit hard in terms of quality and real ROLE PLAYING elements because of the modern game industry.

Black

Arcane
Not this guy again... hasn't he learned anything from his previous encounter?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51698

Though it may be entertaining to have VD and him duke it out.

As a gaming journalist, I might have a bit more insight into these matters

As a gaming journalist that you are, I doubt you even have enough insight on how to take a piss properly.

But an indie game can never aspire to become a polished modern masterpiece like Skyrim.

Hold on a second. Saying skyrim is a POLISHED MASTERPIECE is too dumb even for you. I have no doubts that you truly believe it's a masterpiece, since you're clueless, but even IGNorants admit it's not polished.

Are you trying to troll? Is that it? What's your aim?

Majestic47

Learned
:lol: Masterpiss indeed. No wonder their latest patch broke the game. It was already perfect, why perfect it some more. Ahhh, the cost of being a perfectionist. ...

Captain Shrek

Is this really Angry hoe? Then somebody please tell him that putting eyeliner does not character creation make.

Black

Arcane
http://manatank.com/2011/11/28/skyrim-p ... aks-fixes/

So, Joe, since you're the gaming journalist here and know more than we, simple folk, do... What was bethesda's main platform? Obviously it wasn't the PC, since the UI is hell and it's more dumbed down than Oblivion. It seems it wasn't PS3 either, because the bugs ps3 users have been experiencing are supposedly the same as in fo3 (which is even weirder because it's a brand new engine! Todd said so!)
So what, 360? Wii?

Angry Joe, being the great gaming journalist that he is, should check his facts before claiming the Pulitzer. He should look at the sales of "Ultima III" or "Ultima IV" at the time of their issue and see if their sale figures coincided with those of some unknown "indie" games rotting in a musty basement. By the way, what the fuck is "Facade"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom